BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > Go Kart Engine and Torque Converter Tech

Go Kart Engine and Torque Converter Tech Forum for discussing go kart engines and torque converters (Briggs, Tecumseh, Suburu, Comet etc)

Old 11-25-2011, 03:15 PM
Lurker

Default yerfdog motor swap

well my friend gave me his 6.5 briggs motor.my 6.0 tecumseh engine took a dump,so wanted to change motors.now prob is the shaft on brigs is only 2" long compared to the techumseh.i cant run the belt set up,can i just run a chain clutch? any help is good
Old 11-25-2011, 06:40 PM
Power User

What went on the Tec? You could do a clutch style setup direct to the big sprocket, if you can find the correct one for the crank. i'll be a one-speed kind of deal though and you'll likely be having to rework the engine mount plate. While freebies are sweet, sometimes the expense and hassle of making them work makes it easier and cheaper to go with a bolt in replacement--only one way to find out though ....
Old 11-26-2011, 12:58 AM
Super Moderator

The CVT system can sometimes fit even with the shorter shaft- I think your other shaft was probably only 2-3/8".As long as the inner shaft has about an 1" riding on the crank just get a longer bolt- I had about a 1/2" of the clutch hanging over the end of the crank- I did this on 2 different motors with no problems
Old 11-26-2011, 06:36 AM
Lurker

the brigs bolted right up to mounting plate.i wanted to the brigs cause lots of aftermarket parts for it.all i have to buy is a 3/4 clutch right?an run a longer chain,cause old one isnt long enugh.now if i run a longer bolt with old cvt is that safe?i couldnt find a bolt in replacement motor.
Old 11-27-2011, 04:30 PM
Contributor

my new china clone motor's shaft was quite a bit shorter than the tecumseh.
i got a longer bolt and it's all good.
it's just like MSM said above.
Old 11-27-2011, 04:48 PM
Lurker

ok what i was warried about was when u slide first part of clutch on the other half doesnt even touch the shaft.i figured longer bolt but it whould bend bolt from torqe,ill try it.just gota figure away to set up the throttle to carb