BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Old 01-17-2017, 12:28 PM
Supporting Vendor

I have tried the switches from auto zone and O' Reilly's and they are either plastic or pot metal. They don't last no time. I bought mine through Summit Racing and had them for 5 years now. They are waterproof, cost 15 or 16 dollars each but well worth it. In the long run it will cost you more for the cheap ones. You will need a momentary togle for the start side.
Old 01-17-2017, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYCARMS View Post
I have tried the switches from auto zone and O' Reilly's and they are either plastic or pot metal. They don't last no time. I bought mine through Summit Racing and had them for 5 years now. They are waterproof, cost 15 or 16 dollars each but well worth it. In the long run it will cost you more for the cheap ones. You will need a momentary togle for the start side.
its funny you say that, I already went there and looked, and wasn't satisfied with there switches, so I didn't buy any. I am confused on switches I would need for starting. Some switches say 1. on off on, some on the back say 2.power, ground, accessory, and some say something else when I was looking now I cant remember.

Aluminum fuel tank, aluminum wheels, custom fuel/cargo rack, entire rewire, trail tech vapor, ported big valve head, a12camshaft, 12 gram sliders, straight intake, kirkey wide seat, front end extension. 4 point harness, welded cage. Hammerhead exhaust.

Blade Single Seater Restore
welded cage, engine build, new wiring harness/electric box, spun aluminum fuel tank.
Old 01-17-2017, 01:26 PM

tom I found this switch is this what I would need to start? it has 2 prongs connectors so 1 would be connecting to one of the starter solenoid wires, and the other to a ground side? or ckau or tom correct me if I am wrong.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/prf-80501

Aluminum fuel tank, aluminum wheels, custom fuel/cargo rack, entire rewire, trail tech vapor, ported big valve head, a12camshaft, 12 gram sliders, straight intake, kirkey wide seat, front end extension. 4 point harness, welded cage. Hammerhead exhaust.

welded cage, engine build, new wiring harness/electric box, spun aluminum fuel tank.
Old 01-17-2017, 01:37 PM

Then I would just need a ignition switch that is a double pole single throw, with 3 terminals, 1 for power, 1 for ground, then the last would be the black and white wire which I'm being told is ground for the cdi because that's where it connects to. I think I found the correct one.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ded-tswrtd/overview/

Old 01-17-2017, 01:48 PM

I also found the switch covers.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/aaf-all99068

Old 01-17-2017, 02:51 PM
Heavy Contributor

Do a E-bay search for marine toggle switches. Pages full of them!you can buy a complete dash panel already made up with switches, lights and fuses for a few bucks more than what the performance venders want for two switches
Old 01-17-2017, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckau View Post
Do a E-bay search for marine toggle switches. Pages full of them!you can buy a complete dash panel already made up with switches, lights and fuses for a few bucks more than what the performance venders want for two switches
ive been searching all day, that double pole, single throw, on/on switch is hard to find, only place I found that one is on summit racing.

Last edited by jmansracerocket; 01-17-2017 at 03:49 PM.
Old 01-22-2017, 07:40 AM
Heavy Contributor

PLEASE READ
I made a error when giving J-man the switch information. I stated the WRONG switch description.
In the drawings where I showed the use of a double-pole, single throw on/on switch for the ignition circuit schematic..
It SHOULD state ..... Single- pole, Double-throw on/on switch .
This mistake caused time and frustration for Justin. Luckily He had access to a tech rep who pointed out the error and was able to find the correct switch.
I apologize to Justin and everyone else for posting incorrect information.
Hopefully our Buggymaster or anyone else could advise on how to edit the drawings to reflect the correct info to prevent any future confusion.

Charlie
Old 01-22-2017, 08:34 PM

its ok ckau, we all do make mistakes, all my switches, and gadgets have been ordered tonight. Cant wait to get back to work on the buggy. Suppose to be a little rough the next 2 days weather wise, hopefully Wednesday i can get some more frame work done. Hoping to get the front of the frame mostly done. Then next would be finishing the rest of the electric work.

Old 04-15-2017, 04:26 PM

I got my electric boxes some what started. Seating position to my left will be my wideband, voltmeter, and a switch for the both of them. To my right I will have my starter switch, and kill/ignition switch. The right side box has room for 4 more accessory switches. Just waiting on those switches, of course 1 switch will be lights. I'm thinking the other switch for the trail tech, I'm thinking some cooling fans can also attach to same switch. Then il have 2 free spaces for whatever else I'm forgetting or need to add down the road.

image post

image url upload

Old 05-16-2017, 08:47 AM

Spending a lot of time on the hammerhead. The front end is finally done being welded and cage. Went threw a ton of electric work yesterday. Ordered new headlights, 18watt led, and a cooling fan because I plan on running a oil cooler, so stealing ckau idea of a fan for the cooler. Trying to decide where to mount a horn. I feel like its a good idea to have the horn for safety and fun purposes. The right side box has my ignition switch, and starter switch up top. The 4 switches below are for anything accessory wise. To my left I have my wideband and voltmeter. Its been a way longer progress then I expected but I'm pretty happy with the progress.

Old 05-25-2017, 09:43 AM

Spent a lot of time on herbie the past 2 days. Floor pan was labor of love. Made a template first for cutting out the floor, then layed it on the piece of sheet metal and traced it out. Had to cut it with a cut off wheel. Had to make all the brackets for it so the floor pan can always be removed if ever needed. Also leaving space on all the sides of the floor pan allows easy water drain. Used round nut head bolts that I might paint black to match the floor. Going to be bedlining the floor pan top and bottom.

Old 05-26-2017, 07:31 AM
Heavy Contributor

That aluminum or stainless?
Old 05-26-2017, 07:36 AM
Heavy Contributor

Looking good btw. I know your pain when doing the electrical stuff. Always double checking to make sure connections are good. Decide how to connect them, and give access to everything. I always seemed to be short on parts, after I got a good idea in my head. So had to wait a few days until parts come in.
Old 05-26-2017, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeagle View Post
That aluminum or stainless?
regular sheet metal, its getting bedliner so there was no need for me to spend the extra $.

Old 05-26-2017, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeagle View Post
Looking good btw. I know your pain when doing the electrical stuff. Always double checking to make sure connections are good. Decide how to connect them, and give access to everything. I always seemed to be short on parts, after I got a good idea in my head. So had to wait a few days until parts come in.
lol yeah I keep tweaking the electrical system. Ive made 3 different boxes for the right side panel, finally got one that I'm happy with.

Old 06-12-2017, 10:48 PM

floor board is officially done. 2 coats of self etching primer. 3 coats of bedliner. Let it cure for 7 days. Solid floor. Have new custom brake lines coming. New spun fuel tank since I put the one I had on the spiderbox. Welded in brackets for the 5 point harness. Reinforced and have the swing arm setup for a long case taida motor !!!!!!!!!! Should have engine by end of next week. Very excited.

Last edited by jmansracerocket; 06-12-2017 at 10:50 PM.
Old 07-19-2017, 11:55 PM

Finally went to go start the buggy today after 2 and a half yrs of working on it. The engine cranks but my electric system started smoking. Found out the green ground wire from the stator melted itself and got super hot. Its a dc stator and a dc cdi. So went threw all my electrical, everything is connected and tight. Wired a new stator in and same thing. I cant figure out why its doing it. any help or advice would be great.

Old 07-20-2017, 01:26 AM

wow i feel so dumb. Looked over everything about 5 times, unplugged and reconnected everything guess what. Forgot to run a ground wire to the starter itself. Couldn't sleep over it and glad I found the problem. 230 am think I should go to sleep now.

Old 05-24-2021, 01:43 PM
Lurker

Default gaskets

does anybody know where i can get engine gaskets for a interceptor 250cc
Old 05-24-2021, 02:13 PM
Supporting Vendor

Since Carter had exclusive rights on that engine and have been out of business for years Good Luck.