BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > Go Kart Engine and Torque Converter Tech

Go Kart Engine and Torque Converter Tech Forum for discussing go kart engines and torque converters (Briggs, Tecumseh, Suburu, Comet etc)

Old 12-12-2015, 04:09 PM
Contributor

Default Smoked the clutch

Well like title says I was on some almost non existent trails and the clutch started smoking bad. With only 13 Miles on the odometer. Oh well guess I'm going to have too look into upgrading the clutch now.

Last edited by scjeep4.7HO; 12-15-2015 at 09:02 AM. Reason: word correction
Old 12-15-2015, 09:05 AM
Contributor

I have the matching yellow torque spring and yellow clutch springs in it right now. I think the RPM's were not high enough to get the clutches to fully engage causing it to heat up the clutches.

What do you guys think? Change the clutch springs to a lighter weight to get more bite or to higher so it gets more RPM's before it tries to engage? Also what is the best clutch combo you guys have found in your trial and errors? I also may get a performance variator to just be done with that part when I upgrade.
Old 02-20-2016, 11:37 AM
Contributor

Nobody? I want to upgrade the clutch and variator together so I get the best performance all in one go.
Old 02-21-2016, 09:17 PM
Supporting Vendor

What weight rollers are you running? does this happen with 1 or 2 people, total weight of both people and what kind of grades of slopes/ hills. And what buggy do you have? Don't remember.
Old 02-22-2016, 06:54 PM
Contributor

I believe I have 10 gram roller right now. I usually ride me with at least one of my kids at a time. Total weight is around 330lbs. It happened the worst when I was riding up some slight consistent hills. I have a 2015 Hammerhead GTS150 Platinum.
Old 02-23-2016, 02:29 PM
Supporting Vendor

The buggy weighs just under 400lbs. It is powered by a 150cc engine originally designed for a 100lb scooter. Max capacity is just under 200lbs. Max climbing angle is 20-25 degree grade.I know Virginia to be very hilly in some areas. Sometimes the long grades will disguise the degree of the slope. Keep in mind the average suburban driveway is pitched @ 10 degrees for water drain off. If you can post a short video of you trying to climb the hill showing the hill you are climbing we will get a much better picture of what you are experiencing. The problem may not be the clutch as much as a lack of power.You can lower the roller weight but you will sacrifice top end for the engine rpm will run at a constant high moving you out of the power range of the engine much sooner. Most of that engines power is at around 5500rpm.
Old 02-24-2016, 09:12 AM
Contributor

I can't get video of where exactly it was. Someone purchased the land and it was way back actually in the woods. around my house has some really steep grades for short distances which it seemed to do fine with. I know the clutch was slipping bad so it will need replaced just from heat checking it. I think it was a combination of lack of power, clutch not grabbing and not properly matched up parts. I have the 1500 torque spring with lighter rollers (10G) on stock engine, clutch and variator.
Old 02-24-2016, 12:28 PM
Supporting Vendor

The setup you have in the CVT sounds about right. Keep this in mind, if you had walked up that short steep hill you would have been winded, now walking up the not as steep but much longer hill you might have to stop and rest along the way. The buggy works the same way. Short steep hill you probably got a run at it, but the longer hill although not as steep your climbing longer so the load on the engine is more constant. I can only assume your buggy is fairly new with only 13 miles on the odometer. Have you checked the valve adjustment ? I have had new buggies from the factory which had the valves set too tight. This will rob the engine of compression making it work much harder. I would check the valve adjustment. Also the newer buggies run so much leaner as compared to the 2005-2007 models due to EPA regulations. On flat surfaces the buggy runs fine but under a load it starves of fuel and performance is greatly reduced.