BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Go Kart General Discussion

Go Kart General Discussion Forum for general go kart discussion.

Old 11-16-2018, 06:56 PM
Lurker

Default New with lots of questions

As the title says, I'm new to go karts. I bought a red Murray last night for my son for a Christmas present. As a 35 year old kid, I think I'm more excited than he will be when he sees it. It runs and drives, but it does need a few things, mostly just TLC.

I know that Murray and Tecumseh are both no more, which makes finding parts interesting. What is the best source for parts? Specifically I need an aftermarket replacement seat for it.

Also, I noticed only one back wheel is actually a "drive" wheel, is it possible to change the rear axle and make both wheels powered? Mainly for traction. Or is this more trouble than it's worth.

What are any "upgrades" you have done to the Murray karts that you recommend?

Thank you and I'm sure I will have more questions later.
Old 11-17-2018, 01:00 PM
Supporting Vendor

As far as the kart you will have to improvise since there are no parts available. As far as the engine LCT bought out all Tecumseh parts and machinery but you will have to have the engine info when ordering parts.
Old 11-18-2018, 07:04 AM
Contributor

Honestly for ease I'd suggest swapping the tec out with a 212 predator. Save the tec because there are a bunch of guys that restore old mini bikes a karts that would love to have it if it is a 4 or 5 hp model.

As for the one wheel peel it can be swapped out to a live axle. There are a few kits out to easily do it but they need to be welded on.

Last edited by neo71665; 11-18-2018 at 07:07 AM.
Old 12-27-2018, 09:46 PM
Lurker

Hey guys thanks for the responses. Sorry it's taken so long for me to answer. I thought I had it set up to email me if anyone responded, but I guess not haha.

I saw those live axle kits online, so all I have to do is weld the bearing hangers on each side of the frame?

I made a new seat for it with some high density cushion foam and marine grade vinyl.

So far the cart is working great. I replaced the tires since they were dry rotted and full of fix a flat, cleaned and greased everything, made the new seat, cleaned the carb, replaced the wheel bearings, and took the seat belt retractors apart and cleaned them up and greased them. They wouldn't retract any more and were full of spider webs and grit.

I still need to look at the brakes, it squeals super loud when he stops. It's also real grabby and pretty much just locks up the wheel.

Is a torque converter better and or worth the money compared to the clutch it has now?
Old 12-27-2018, 09:51 PM
Lurker

20181225_081647.jpg
Old 12-27-2018, 10:13 PM
Supporting Vendor

If you go and google comet clutch systems it will tell you how to identify if it is a 20 or 30 series but it is most likely a 20 series. There will be video's on how to check and clean the torque converter systems.