BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Go Kart General Discussion

Go Kart General Discussion Forum for general go kart discussion.

Old 10-29-2020, 06:41 AM
Lurker

Default Help, please

I have a 150cc gy6 motor in my kart and it starts and idles great but under load it will stall out in about a minute. It will have to sit for a minute before it will start again and the pattern repeats. I have cleaned the carb jets, replaced the CDI, fuel filter and air box with filter - just looking for more trouble shooting ideas as I am a newbie
Old 10-29-2020, 10:22 AM
Supporting Vendor

Check for spark when it dies.
Old 10-30-2020, 06:17 AM
Lurker

Sorry for the delay in my response, I had to go home and try it. It appears to have a spark when it stalls out. I broke the spark plug wire and had to order a new one. But any ideas you have I will try as soon as I replace that wire. Thanks for your time
Old 10-30-2020, 09:48 AM
Supporting Vendor

If you have a good blue spark after eng. dies make sure your enrichment valve has a good connection and with engine running make sure you have 12 volts to enrichment valve. It could be that when it dies it is due to valve remaining open when engine warms causing a rich mixture flooding engine.
Old 10-30-2020, 01:36 PM
Lurker

I will check and let you know. Thanks a million, it does die out like it is being flooded. It will take me a few days.
Old 11-03-2020, 06:38 PM
Lurker

Well, the choke seems to be working okay. I ran the engine hard until it stalls out and the plunger assembly in the choke is pushed out like it supposed to be. Any other ideas?
Old 11-04-2020, 09:37 PM
Administrator

Starving for fuel? When it stalls out, immediately afterwards, give a shot of carb cleaner into the carb and see if it starts right up. If it does, sounds like your fuel supply is running out and after a minute or two it supplies fuel to the fuel bowel again.
Old 11-05-2020, 06:41 AM
Lurker

I apologize for my ignorance, spray the carb cleaner into the bowl on the top of the carb or into the jets on the bottom? I truly appreciate your help.
Old 11-05-2020, 08:35 AM
Administrator

Pull the air cleaner inlet off the carb and give a little shot right at the front of the carb.
Old 11-05-2020, 08:27 PM
Supporting Vendor

Remove the fuel cap and visually inspect cap for any deformation,it may look as if it was melted also shake cap and listen for the check valve rattle. There was a time caps would deform due to the ethanol in the fuel or if it sat a long time the vent would block up. If the tank don't vent fuel will stop flowing.
Old 11-10-2020, 06:58 PM
Lurker

Well, I replaced the fuel lines and filter, cleaned the carb and checked the gas cap yet the problem persists. It does seem to start up a little bit faster after stalling with a shot of carb cleaner, so I feel like we are on the right track. Scratching my head, the valve below the fuel tank?
Old 11-10-2020, 07:30 PM
Administrator

Yes, the valve is likely the issue in my opinion.
Old 11-10-2020, 07:32 PM
Administrator

And BTW the reason is because it is likely sluggish about supplying fuel. So when the machine sits at idle, there is enough fuel in the bowl. Once you start romping on it, it’s using up more than the valve can supply. So it runs out, and when you go to start it you are once again at a low demand and that low demand can be met. Just not the high demand.
Old 11-11-2020, 10:09 AM
Supporting Vendor

Easy to check, just disconnect fuel line from carb, start engine and see if it pumps gas. If not sure if enough gas than video it and post. It's not going to produce a stream of fuel just pulses of fuel consistently.
Old 11-11-2020, 06:43 PM
Lurker

I tried to clean out the valve attached to the gas tank with carb cleaner and no change. It will idle forever it only stalls when you floor it and it takes about 30 seconds
Old 11-12-2020, 09:13 AM
Supporting Vendor

What procedure did you use to clean carb
Old 11-12-2020, 09:29 AM
Lurker

I dowsed it with carb cleaner and removed the jets and dowsed them with carb cleaner
Old 11-12-2020, 10:00 AM
Supporting Vendor

Look in throat of carb and you will see the slide, use your finger to push up on slide and note point where metering rod goes into bottom of carb. Do you see a small bushing protruding from bottom. It will either be brass or aluminum.
Old 11-19-2020, 07:39 PM
Lurker

Sorry for the delay in my response and my ignorance but I don't know what the throat is? I have taken the top and bottom apart before and this evening I pulled the top off again and removed the spring, diaphragm, needle and the hole where the needle goes in and cleaned them all out. It still stalls out but it starts up way faster after words. I really have no idea what I'm doing
Old 11-19-2020, 08:39 PM
Lurker

Default Left rear drive axle CV joint

Need some help. I have a Joyner sand spider 650. Looking for left drive axle
Maybe get CV joint rebuilt. Know where I can get parts
Appreciate any help possible.
Thanks Robert
Old 11-20-2020, 06:19 AM
Lurker

I have bought parts on amazon.com and at gokartusa.com. Amazon is the cheapest but if you have questions gokartusa has good customer service but is a more expensive
Old 11-20-2020, 10:37 AM
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbstring View Post
Sorry for the delay in my response and my ignorance but I don't know what the throat is? I have taken the top and bottom apart before and this evening I pulled the top off again and removed the spring, diaphragm, needle and the hole where the needle goes in and cleaned them all out. It still stalls out but it starts up way faster after words. I really have no idea what I'm doing
The throat is area which air passes through. If you removed the top cover you have a diaphragm which when removed is attached to the slide. protruding from slide is the needle which when all is installed goes through a cavity in bottom of carb. The needle than goes inside the main jet. This is what controls amount of fuel that passes through the main jet. When you press the throttle( gas pedal) vacuum created by the engine passes through top side of diaphragm sucking the diaphragm upwards which raises the slide and needle which allows more fuel to travel through the main jet. That needle goes down through the floor of carb throat. That is where you will see that bushing. That bushing slows the flow of fuel so that it can properly atomize with the air being sucked in. If that bushing is missing the fuel will not be controlled so it will not properly atomize with air which will cause engine to flood out when you hit the gas. Pull the air box and look into throat of carb where you will see the slide. Take your finger and lift that slide and you will see the needle. Look at where needle passes through bottom of throat and you should see the bushing either aluminum or brass sticking up about 1/16". If that is missing that is the problem. That bushing sits above the main jet the main jet holds that bushing.
Old 11-20-2020, 10:46 AM
Lurker

There is definitely the brass fitting that the needle goes into present and snug. I will put my finger inside there tonight to see if it is raised up from the bottom of the throat. I was looking at it from above so I did not have any depth perception but it seemed as though it was flush with the bottom - need to double check. Thanks for the explanation.
Old 11-22-2020, 10:33 AM
Lurker

The brass fitting is present and the needle fits nicely in there. The fitting is raised above the bottom of the throat. The slide moves up and down freely
Old 11-22-2020, 05:25 PM
Supporting Vendor

Idle engine and while watching slide work throttle and see if slide moves with throttle. The more throttle the higher the slide should go. If not you can simultaneously throttle and manually move slide with finger and see if you can get it to accelerate.
Old 11-24-2020, 07:07 PM
Lurker

yes it slides from about 1/8" above the bottom of the throat all the way to the top of the throat.
Old 11-25-2020, 10:54 AM
Supporting Vendor

Does it still stall when you work the slide manually with finger while throttling?
Old 12-05-2020, 12:33 PM
Lurker

No, I can push the slide all the way up and it does not even rev. I can push the throttle and the slide goes up and it revs all the way until it stalls. To make matters worse, I tried to clean the jets out again and now it will not start at all. I am beyond frustrated with this thing
Old 12-05-2020, 12:51 PM
Supporting Vendor

I think our signals crossed. When you move slide up at the same time work the throttle, or work throttle until it wants to fail then help slide while throttling.
Old 12-05-2020, 01:05 PM
Lurker

It goes up when you throttle it. I can try to push it further but now I can't get it to start.