BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > FrankenBuggy Tech

FrankenBuggy Tech Unconventional and Home Built Buggy Tech Forum

Old 05-24-2011, 06:37 AM
Lurker

Default Sahara (kinroad) 150 with Suzuki RF600

Hi Guys,
So after getting the 150 engine running and restoring the frame and pretty much everything (as it was sitting rotting in someones front garden for a year)
Someone offered me a Suzuki RF600 engine for £60

So I have taken everything out the back end, and I am making room for the engine. However I have reached a point I was hoping to ask you guys for advise:

The axle is 35mm and so I have found a 35mm sprocket carrier (the sprocket i need is 43T 530 pitch)....anyone recommend buying a sprocket that matches that, and also matches a carrier for 35mm axle....

OR

Find a new drive sprocket/chain/rear sprocket & carrier that match for a 35mm axle....

OR

Make an adapter hub to convert the carrier to the sprocket....

One of the problems is the RF600 Carrier is too small, and the current RF600 rear sprocket is a 5 stud (all the carriers to fit a 35mm axle are 6 stud...DOH)

and here lies my dilemma..... would an adapter hub create another point of weakness?

Oh another option £40 = custom sprocket to fit carrier?

Hopefully anyone who fancies jumping in, I welcome all ideas and feedback, and grateful for any help at all!

Regards

Jamie
Old 05-24-2011, 09:27 AM
Heavy Contributor

If you want this to be a long term sustainable vehicle, you need to convert the carrier to a common sprocket bolt pattern you plan to use. the carrier can be removed and replaced or an adapter plate can be fabricated so that the axle can be easily replaced if damaged.

You have to ask yourself if you want to make this project simple enough so you can bolt on replacement parts or whether it will require custom manufacture every time you wear or break a part.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:32 AM
Super Moderator

Since I have a 35mm or 1-3/8" axle maybe this site can provide a solution for your needs

http://www.hyperracing.com/pages/hom...category=11000