BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Go Kart General Discussion

Go Kart General Discussion Forum for general go kart discussion.

Old 02-25-2013, 12:00 PM
Lurker

Default 1 inch or 1 1/4in axle on new build??

When building a live axle rear end I see so many parts for 1 in. axles. A 1 1/4in.
would seem tougher, any thoughts on this???? And where do i get a hub to go on the end and hold an ATV wheel?
Thanks tons.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:55 PM

Check out BMI karts for hubs, also tractor supply has a selection as well, if memory serves correctly, you have at least 2 different lug patterns for ATV wheels, so keep that in mind. I am personally going with a 4 on 4" pattern for ease of parts availability. Also, 4 on 4" allows you to use trailer wheels which are by far cheaper then ATV wheels, and available in a wide array of sizes and widths. Also, look on northern tools website, they have a ton of trailer wheels, ATV tires and tire and wheel combos and the prices are pretty good.

As far as whether to go 1" or 1.25" axle, according to my kart racing buddy, if using a solid steel axle, you should have no issues with either size unless you are looking at a powerplant with 30+hp, then you need the 1.25". The real issue with axles is bending, so adding a support bearing(or 2 or 3) will ensure it will stay true for a lot longer.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:10 PM
Power User

Azusa also carries some excellent quality, economically priced axles/hubs. hollow or solid.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:21 AM
Lurker

Default good info

Thanks for your time, much appreciated
Rick N Brad
Old 03-03-2013, 06:40 PM

Rick and Brad welcome what kind of buggy do you have or are you in the process of building one? send some pics here. we love pics. LOL
Old 03-03-2013, 08:03 PM
Lurker

My son and I will building a small full suspension kart this summer. We are in the figuring stage and I'm looking for a bike motor to put on it. I would love to use a 250cc 2 stoke but that may be on the loud side. I'm watching used bike ads on a daily basis. I have an old ATV that will be my tires and front end parts, spindles, steering, shocks etc.
Rick n Brad
Old 03-03-2013, 09:56 PM

If this will be your first buggy build, IFS is doable, but IRS gets tricky. If you have a quad with IRS, that would be a good base to work off of. A 250cc 2 stroke would be a rocket ship compared to what I'm using for mine, but would be fun, no doubt! I was actually looking at using a Ninja 250cc engine for mine, but the price wasn't good enough for me, and it was liquid cooled, not a deal breaker, but adding a radiator and fan would have complicated things, plus I found my ATC for a steal and it will keep things simple and reliable. Also, you might look for ATV engines as well, so you have the option of reverse, unless it isn't important.

I would suggest a trailing arm, or swingarm rear design for simplicity, but it does have its flaws over IRS, mainly stability in turns and articulation over rough terrain.

'04 Dazon Raider 150 'modded'
Old 03-04-2013, 06:07 AM
Lurker

I am going to use a straight axle in the rear with a single swing arm that pivots.
Cause i want the engine over the rear axle and not attached to the axle, the motor chain will go to a jackshaft in line with the pivot of the rear swing arm. All front end parts are getting chopped off an ATV.
rick n brad