BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 06-30-2020, 10:15 AM
Lurker

Default Razor Vision Z-150 Help with GY6 Engine

Hey,

I just bought a Razor Vision Z150 Buggy that I'm trying to get running. Started right up when I looked at it and bought it. Took it home and now there is no spark to the plug and dripping gas from the carburetor. The harness is in bad shape and looking to replace. There are so many different harnesses out the and looking to buy the right one. The Carb. was new bought off amazon. It was a Hity Motor PD24J Carburetor. Single fuel line from the tank to the carb. I did check continuity from negative terminal of the battery to engine and the ground seem good. There is a fuse in the harness that tested good. I'm new to the GY6 engines and trying to learn. Any advise would be appreciated.
So give any tips and please ask any questions and I'll answer the best I can.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Razor Vision Z-150.jpg (97.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Bad Harness.jpg (89.2 KB, 11 views)
Old 07-01-2020, 09:02 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the site.Why do you think you need to replace the wiring harness? If you haven't already un-plugged & re-plugged all the connections that's a starting point. Making sure that the wiring harness is grounded to the motor & chassis is nearly always the culprit, unless the wiring shows signs of arcing/burnt plugs. Is the carb leaking from the bowl gasket, the over flow, into the airbox?
Is there a neutral safety associated with this buggy-ie... pushing the brake pedal to start?
Old 07-02-2020, 08:27 AM
Lurker

Thanks for the reply!

The wiring harness is in bad shape with some melted insulation as seen in previous the picture along with wires breaking off the connectors when trying to unplugged & reattach. They had a 10amp fuse in the harness which I'd bet is over amp'ed from what it should be.

From the ground wire at the battery there was continuity to the engine and chassis.

The carb is leaking into the air filter.

I did not see any safety switches on the buggy.

I did find the engine numbers for identification.
157FM
*02110544*
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Engine #'s.jpg (90.5 KB, 7 views)
Old 07-02-2020, 08:36 AM
Heavy Contributor

chances are.. you've done nothing more than flood out the motor. When transporting these buggy the carb float will bounce allowing fuel to overfill the carb and dump into the cylinder resulting in fouling the plug. This is the leaking out of the carb and the no spark at the plug your finding.
a fuel shut off valve close to the tank is a must if you transport the buggy.
Pull the plug, disconnect the fuel line, spin the motor over a few times, check the oil for fuel contamination, use a fresh plug, check for spark, reconnect the fuel line, make sure the air filter is clean and you should be good to go.
Be very careful when disconnecting wire and terminal plugs they are frail at best and cause you to start chasing gremlins.
Old 07-02-2020, 08:30 PM
Lurker

The carb seemed to keep leaking so I put a small needle nose vise grips on the fuel line to stop it. the next day removing the vise grips it seemed to be leaking again. There is no fuel shut off installed on the buggy anymore but Amazon is delivering one tomorrow.

I pulled the spark plug and reconnected it to the plug wire and grounded the plug against the engine. I flipped the switch and turned the engine over and saw no spark. I did pick put a new spark plug and need to look the recommended gap to set the plug.

Wiring is brittle as it looks to has been over fused and the insulation is melted and crisp. I've seen wires like this and it'll make for easy wire breaks with insulation still intact.
I have a new harness on the way that looked to be the same one installed, hoping it is...

Does the Ignition Coil, Rectifier (Voltage Regulator), or the Stator go bad or cause problems or do they seldom fail?

Any recommendations on where to order a good CDI, Ignition Coil, Stator, ect... I see a lot on Amazon but the reviews are all over the place.

I did find out the Starter coil must be week. When button is pushed it hardly turns the engine over. If you jump the starter coil bolts it turns over much faster... be still no spark.

Last edited by Papa Tom; 07-02-2020 at 09:59 PM. Reason: adding Information
Old 07-06-2020, 05:43 PM
Lurker

Pulled the gas tank and what a mess. Full of rust. Use the high pressure from the air compressor to try to clean it the best I could. I thought there was a product you could put is a gas tank to treat it? Anyone recall what it is or advise on how to clean it up?

Still no luck on getting spark. Ordered as ignition coil and CDI.
Hopefully that will fix the spark issue.
Old 07-13-2020, 05:16 AM
Contributor

Your float needle is probably stuck. It probably got jammed during transport.
Cleaning the tank is the same for just about everything nothing special a hand full of nuts and some plain vinegar will usually do the job. As far as treating the rust check with your local auto place for evaporust it coverts the rust to an oxide that wont dissolve. I do not recommend using a sealer i have had bad luck with them going soft and end up floating around in the tank causing problems. But just note that if you have rust in the tank you had water in the tank and if you have junk in the tank there is probably junk in the carb. Pull it and give it a good cleaning im sure you will find the needle stuck when you do. For the electrical Unplug and inspect all of your connectors. Ckau is right you would be surprised how often they will lose connection. Check the buggy for safety cut offs to. Some wont give spark unless the brake is pressed others wont unless its in neutral. There could also be a seat safety. I dont know enough about your model to say for sure. The wires on these buggies are under size Chinese garbage. Go the next size up and replace what you think needs replaced. Its alot of work but its worth it.
Old 07-14-2020, 10:08 PM
Lurker

I found the no spark issue. I believe it was due to bad wiring, insulation that melted and broken off and grounding out. But I am getting spark now. In the process of getting ready to rewire some of the harness myself. The one I ordered in was a lighter gauge wire then was there and done really cheap. I may try to reuse the connectors, pull the pins and solder the wires to it and reinsert.
I will try the vinegar and nuts in the gas tank.
I hadn't pulled the carb yet, need to pick up some carb cleaner. But I'm hoping to get to that this week.

Thanks everyone for the help and advice as it is greatly appreciated!
Old 07-15-2020, 12:42 AM
Contributor

When i picked up the hammerhead i have the rear wire harness was gone completely. The front harness was there but the previous owners dog had chewed everything at the dash.
I am not great at electrical stuff but i was able to order some wire in different colors and redo all of the wires on my buggy. I did have to order some pig tail connectors from one of the supporting vendors but other than that there is not 1 inch of original wiring on my buggy.
It took some time to do it right and i messed up in a few places and had to redo some of it but in the end my electrical system is AWESOME.

The only thing i have had come up is i have had to clean the grounds every once in a while. But you have to keep in mind my buggy is stored out side uncovered at all times.

These forums are filled with electrical gremlin issues and most can be directly attributed to the substandard wires the factory used. go to 12 ga wire and dont look back. I tried to just fix what was there on mine and every issue i had when i fixed the original wires went away when i trashed the stock stuff and re did it.
Plus taking the time to go through everything gave me the chance to get to know the electrical system on my buggy very well and be able to make some improvements like LED head lights Roof LEDs and being able to isolate different parts of the system so that should a fault occur only that part of the system will go down while the rest of it stays up. This allows me to quickly locate what section the issue is in and correct it .
Old 07-17-2020, 08:41 PM
Lurker

Did some rewiring tonight on the harness.

Cleaned the float needle and fixed the leaking gas issue. Bad thing was the paint bubbled in about 6-7 places and started leaking gas. I've got pin holes in the tank now. Drained the gas, blew the tank dry and then used a dremel to clean the paint off and soldered the holes. Seems okay now. Got it back together and started it up and ran it around the yard. It ran well for about 3 minutes. Then it would idle but when given gas it would rev up a little and died down but didn't die, no power at all. Fuel starved or flooding out?

I'm getting closer and not giving up.
Old 07-21-2020, 12:19 AM
Contributor

start at the carb. Check air flow make sure your slide is moving. Carbs can be tricky to get to run right i have one that no matter what i do it just wont run right. If its crapping out when you give it gas its starving for fuel or air so start there and see what you can find. The fact that it ran great for a few minutes means you may have still had some junk in the line or carb may have to pull it and clean it again. make sure your checking the tube below the jet it has tiny holes that plug easy. Also check your exhaust may have some blockage if it sat. around here wasps love to make nests in them. Might also pull your side cover and inspect your belt, clutch and variator to make sure you dont have flat rollers or somthing else going on there.
Old 07-21-2020, 09:06 PM
Lurker

I went ahead and ordered a new carb, fuel line and filters. I got the new carb installed and it was running a lot better but still cutting out some. I replaced the fuel line from the tank to the filter with a clear yellow 1/4 tube. Fuel flow seemed to be the issue. The fuel filter is kind of big but it's clear also and was not filling the filter full. I opened the float bowl drain and that helped fill the filter and seems to stay full running it now. The tank and cap seems to seal and didn't know if it needed to be vented? I would think so... I've just left the cap on loose.
Exhaust seems to be okay.
I pulled the side cover off and belt looked new. the clutch and variator looked good also.
The guy I bought it from said he put different weights in it to make it faster. The old ones looked good and round and I put them back in since it's running in the grass and some hills.
The buggy seems to be running pretty good now as the grand kids and theirs friends ran it most of the day Monday. It even pulls me, 6'4" & 285lbs, around pretty well.

I still have not found the short causing the fuse to blow going to starter. I just have to jump the starter solenoid to start it. But at least it's running finally.

Hoping to track down the short my next days off, Sunday and Monday. Also adding new lights as one is broken off and the other the lens is broken.

Thanks for all the help! It is Greatly Appreciated !

Last edited by Papa Tom; 07-21-2020 at 09:10 PM.
Old 07-22-2020, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator

Does the fuse blow when trying to start it? or is the fuse blown after being driven?
If fuse blows while trying to start- short to the starter/or starter it'self has an issue.Or start switch has an issue
If blown after driving - could be the stator is over-charging/over-heating
FYI- your broken light could be a possible cause!
GROUND-GROUND-GROUND You can never be over-grounded.Adding a larger gauge wire ground from the battery to the chassis-chassis to the engine.
I've had starters that I thought were bad-just needed a better ground!!
I've had batteries that didn't charge completely-just needed a better ground!!
I've had coils that seemed to fade when motor warmed up-just needed a better ground!!
Old 07-25-2020, 07:48 PM
Lurker

Been out of town and just got back. Fuse blows when kill switch it flipped I believe.

Battery was showing about 13.4 volts.. Is that okay or a sign of overcharging?

Working on the harness to ground the wires better then all going into one bunch and wire nutted together.

Hoping to get into it tomorrow or Monday...
Old 07-28-2020, 02:32 PM
Lurker

Wanted to say that the short was from the Voltage Regulator Rectifier, Swapped it out and no more blown fuses. I've got a new stator on hand in case it is overcharging and maybe blew out the Voltage Regulator Rectifier...

In the process of replacing the Voltage Regulator I polished up the ground contacts and added a little grease to it to keep it from rusting and/or corroding.

Seems to be running pretty good although I may have to replace my rusted out gas tank some time soon.

Thank you guys for all the help and advise. It is much appreciated!
Old 08-04-2020, 01:33 AM
Contributor

Glad to help a fellow buggy nut get their girl rolling again