BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 10-11-2020, 11:24 AM
Lurker

Default Blowing fuse with CDI

I have a side by side that was running but blowing smoke. I rebuilt the top end but now continues to blow the fuse every time I plug in the CDI. I can unplug everything else and it will still blow the fuse when the CDI is plugged in. Is there any way to test it? I can't figure out why it blows fuses now but ran before I pulled the engine? I can't find any shorts in the wiring.
Old 10-15-2020, 08:20 PM
Super Moderator

First question would be - what type engine? Does the CDI look normal?Is there any bulging in the cover (if it's plastic)? Do you have a good ground? To answer your question about testing the CDI-I don't think there's a procedure for it or I haven't been able to test one in the past as I can't find any voltage/ohm values. I know you can check your pulse generator/trigger,coils,stator & kill wire. Blowing a fuse is an obvious power over-load or a dead short. I'd start by checking the stator connections from the motor, then the voltage regulator/rectifier connections.