BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > Other tech issues

Other tech issues For all other technical issues. Think frame, suspension, steering, brakes, etc

Old 03-19-2019, 10:27 PM
Lurker

Default Electrical box question DF200GKD

Hi I have a DF200GKD made by Dongfang but when I got it all it had in the electrical box was a rectifier.

So far I’ve added the following. Can you please tell me what if anything I’m missing? When I turn the key all I hear is a click but the engine doesn’t turn over so I’m guessing maybe I’m missing a capacitor.

New rectifier
New ignition coil and spark plug
Relay
CM6321 relay. <- can someone tell me what that does?

What am I missing? The igniter?

Thanks

Last edited by Flippin1977; 03-19-2019 at 11:12 PM.
Old 03-20-2019, 03:35 AM
Contributor

sounds like your missing the CDI and the starter solonoid.

Pics of the box would be helpful in helping you figure out exactly what you are missing.

They also usually put a resister in that box that goes to the auto choke if you have one.
Old 03-20-2019, 06:39 PM
Lurker

Default Pics uploaded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plee911 View Post
sounds like your missing the CDI and the starter solonoid.

Pics of the box would be helpful in helping you figure out exactly what you are missing.

They also usually put a resister in that box that goes to the auto choke if you have one.

I appreciate the help. I have the Dongfang site with all the part numbers but I’m just not familiar enough with what I’m missing.

Below are pics of the wiring around the box.
Old 03-20-2019, 08:20 PM
Contributor

The first pic looks like the plug for a taillight. What color are the wires in it? Not required to crank and run

2nd pic the round thing with the screw posts is your starter solenoid. Should be a cable coming from the battery to one post and from the other post a cable that goes to the starter.

3rd pic looks like one of the 2 connectors for a cdi

Yours might not be 100% exactly like this but it should give you an idea of what you got, need, and dealing with. My kinroad didn't come with any of the fluff goodies (blinkers, horn) and I was able to figure it all out with this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gy6buggywiring.jpg (94.4 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by neo71665; 03-20-2019 at 08:25 PM.
Old 03-20-2019, 08:57 PM
Supporting Vendor

I do not see a CDI. Jump across the 2 large terminals on start solenoid. If starter turns over the solenoid is bad which I doubt being it clicks. If starter still does not turn after jumping across terminals starter is bad or engine is locked. What your doing by jumping across wire terminals is applying 12 volts directly to starter. Also make sure you have a tight connection at starter.
Old 03-21-2019, 06:43 AM
Contributor

It does look like your CDI is missing.
+1 on jumping the solenoid.

Double check your battery it may be bad.
It can still show 12 volts on a test meter but fall on its face when a load is placed on it.

It should turn over if yo jump it like suggested.
Old 03-23-2019, 10:32 PM
Lurker

It does turn over when jumped across the poles but when the key is turned I only hear a click from the CM6321 relax.
A test light on one of the poles shows power the other nothing when when the key is turned so the solenoid isn’t getting a signal to engage. My guess is the next thing upstream is the relay and downstream is the coil and spark plug.

Any ideas guys why I’m not able to turn it over with the key?
Old 03-24-2019, 12:11 AM
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYCARMS View Post
I do not see a CDI. Jump across the 2 large terminals on start solenoid. If starter turns over the solenoid is bad which I doubt being it clicks. If starter still does not turn after jumping across terminals starter is bad or engine is locked. What your doing by jumping across wire terminals is applying 12 volts directly to starter. Also make sure you have a tight connection at starter.
Yeah I did that and the engine will turn over.

I shorted across the crake switch to complete the circuit that normally is done by pressing the brake and attempted the key. No dice.
It’s amost as the plug for the solenoid isn’t getting a signal/power to engage the solenoid. Because of that I’m trying to figure out what is next up the path that could activate it.

Also I verified I have everything now including CDI. I don’t see the red led come on on the CDI but it’s there.
Old 03-24-2019, 01:56 PM
Supporting Vendor

Remove wires from brake switch and jump together, than see if it will crank. If so that switch is bad. If nothing than check your ignition switch, depending on how wired it could be a positive control or negative control switch.
Old 03-24-2019, 10:55 PM
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYCARMS View Post
Remove wires from brake switch and jump together, than see if it will crank. If so that switch is bad. If nothing than check your ignition switch, depending on how wired it could be a positive control or negative control switch.
Thanks. I tried the brake and didn’t get anything.
Interesting idea on the switch. How do I test that?
Old 03-25-2019, 11:00 AM
Supporting Vendor

Remove the 2 wires from switch and jump together than try cranking engine if it cranks the switch is bad.
Old 03-28-2019, 12:28 AM
Lurker

Switch is fine.
Verified key switch is fine.
The switch is activated and the clicking is coming from the CM6321 relay when the key is turned.
I have the following CDI Connector: AC, 6-pin (4+2) male plug made by TOPEMAI and part number CPKL0042. It has an LED on the side of it but I don’t know if it should be lit or not.
Also on there is a BH-Motor part number ATVCDIkit250cc ignition coil.

When I short across its polls the engine turns over fine. I don’t have fuel to it yet at this point in the build.

The relay as stated before clicks but I don’t think power is getting to the CDI or ignition coil.

Could that relay be bad or underpowered?

Also I’ve checked my grounds and they are ok.

Any thoughts?
Old 03-28-2019, 12:47 AM
Lurker

If it’s the wrong CDI the plugs match up.
Old 03-28-2019, 02:37 AM
Contributor

Yes the plugs can match if the CDI is wrong.

The easiest way to tell if you have the right CDI is pull the spark plug leave it connected and put it against the metal of the engine. Jump the solenoid and see if you get spark. If you dont the CDI could be the wrong kind or it could be bad.

If you dont get spark you said you have an AC CDI so on the 2 wire plug both wires should be connected if one is not then the CDI is not getting power.

For the wire diagram that is posted in this thread from the generator (this is your stator) it shows 3 wires that go to the regulator and two wires that run out separate and the red one ends. The diagram is for a DC wired system on an AC fired system the red wire runs to the CDI on the 2 pin plug. In the diagram it shows it as not connected.

The CDI will have nothing to do with the engine turning over though

If the engine is not turning over then i would suspect the relay you mentioned or possibly the solenoid.

My system does not have a relay so im not much help in that department.

Use a multi-meter and check both sides of the solenoid one side should show 12 Volts the other should not.

Also check the lines going to the solenoid for a fuse depending on how your system is wired the front section may still have power even if the fuse it blown and the fuse may only control the back section. IE the click from the relay but nothing from the starter when you turn the key.

Last edited by plee911; 03-28-2019 at 02:43 AM.
Old 03-30-2019, 03:35 AM
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by plee911 View Post
Yes the plugs can match if the CDI is wrong.

The easiest way to tell if you have the right CDI is pull the spark plug leave it connected and put it against the metal of the engine. Jump the solenoid and see if you get spark. If you dont the CDI could be the wrong kind or it could be bad.

If you dont get spark you said you have an AC CDI so on the 2 wire plug both wires should be connected if one is not then the CDI is not getting power.

For the wire diagram that is posted in this thread from the generator (this is your stator) it shows 3 wires that go to the regulator and two wires that run out separate and the red one ends. The diagram is for a DC wired system on an AC fired system the red wire runs to the CDI on the 2 pin plug. In the diagram it shows it as not connected.

The CDI will have nothing to do with the engine turning over though

If the engine is not turning over then i would suspect the relay you mentioned or possibly the solenoid.

My system does not have a relay so im not much help in that department.

Use a multi-meter and check both sides of the solenoid one side should show 12 Volts the other should not.

Also check the lines going to the solenoid for a fuse depending on how your system is wired the front section may still have power even if the fuse it blown and the fuse may only control the back section. IE the click from the relay but nothing from the starter when you turn the key.
Lots of excellent detail. I got the engine to turn over. The plug for the auto-choke and the one for the solenoid are the same. Switched them and I get a consistent engine turn. Now for the real problem.

No spark. I have tried two new ignition coils and spark plugs. Also I’ve tried a test light and there is no power getting to the coil. So is this where the CDI comes in?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1D6805F9-E12F-41CB-8B25-DFAE7DE40BA7.jpg (20.2 KB, 7 views)
Old 03-30-2019, 10:15 AM
Contributor

There is a stator and pickup under the flywheel. That tells the cdi the position of the piston. The cdi then in turns tells the coil to fire. Thats it in a basic nutshell.

Looks like you got one of those blue "racing" CDIs. Just a warning they are not very good in our buggies. Their timing advance is more aimed at the lighter scooters. They also often make a cold gy6 harder to start. Take it from somebody that was hardheaded and had to try them all even after I was told this.

Last edited by neo71665; 03-30-2019 at 10:21 AM.
Old 04-01-2019, 02:21 AM
Contributor

Check out my thread http://buggymasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6351
on how to test your stator. It will give you some really good info that helped me sort out that mine had a bad pick up when i got it. I ended up replacing the whole thing but all i had to do was the pick up.

If your stator is bad dont sweat it its not expensive to replace the whole thing. You do have to buy the flywheel removal tool though

The job of replacing it is super easy as long as you make sure you match the stator and flywheel

There are 6 pole, 8 pole and 11 pole stators out there you will need to make sure if you get one that it has the same number of poles as the one that is in your buggy
Old 04-16-2019, 12:24 AM
Lurker

Sorry to take so long to get back on here. Got it started. CDI cable and the electric choke cable have the same female ends. Had them reversed. Thanks all. Now onto axle replacement and rear bearing replacement.

Thanks again!