BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Old 03-25-2018, 01:22 PM
Lurker

Default Coolster GK 6250

Hey everyone, new to the forum and I'm looking for all/any experience with the Coolster GK 6250 (aka ROKETA GK-44-250, Huvur Trail Killer Dune buggy, and probably under other names as well). Mine is pretty rough and rusty, will need a near complete tear down and rebuild. It hasn't run in 6+ years. Engine will turn over, but has no spark nor fuel getting to it. I got it for a project - just finished up a minibike, and feeling lost without something to tinker with.
I read an old thread...

http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/sh...=Coolster+6250

...that was discussing suspension mods, but it sort of petered out (this thing apparently has horrible shocks with no adjust-ability or rebound), and the front control arms are too short). I also read another thread that the guy just got better shocks, and was pleased with the results - but he didn't say what shocks he used. Some people were thinking Yamaha Blaster or Honda 350 Rancher shocks. Any one ever get the suspension sorted?

Last edited by JBeasty; 04-01-2018 at 02:17 PM.
Old 03-25-2018, 05:09 PM
Lurker

Here she is in her comatose state:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg coolster.jpg (98.8 KB, 32 views)
Old 03-25-2018, 05:49 PM
Heavy Contributor

I made some mods to the one I used to own.

http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5290
Old 03-25-2018, 08:18 PM
Lurker

Interesting, and something I think I may be able to handle (maybe). How did you address the front end. Did you use Honda Recon shocks on the front too? Did you do anything with the front control arms? Thanks!
Old 03-26-2018, 08:36 AM
Heavy Contributor

I just accepted the limits of the front...lol Other than completely replacing it, I guess you could try some better shocks?
Old 03-26-2018, 07:05 PM
Lurker

Yeah, it's gonna need 4 new shocks anyway - they're all rusted out (like a lot of the Kart). I think I'll try just some good used shocks off a Buggy/ATV of comparable weight. It's gonna be a challenge guessing the length and mounting hole diameter of other brands though. Guess I could go measure shocks at a dealer or see if I can search the shock lengths of various brands. It seems like the only shocks that have dimensions posted on e-bay are - you guessed it: Chinese. But hey it's a Chinese kart so... I'm rambling.
Old 03-26-2018, 09:57 PM
Heavy Contributor

An exact match is unlikely, might have to change a mounting point or something.
Old 04-05-2018, 05:44 PM
Lurker

I ended up with 4 Blaster shocks, and 1 1/2" wheel spacers for the front. The Blaster shocks are about 1/2" longer, and the mounts are about 1/4" too wide. I tried spreading the ears on the frame to make room for the Blaster shocks, but they're too big. So I cut down one of the mounts on the shock, and it came out pretty good. I'm deciding if I want to do it to the 7 remaining ends...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3629.jpg (81.0 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3630.jpg (89.9 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3631.jpg (90.2 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3632.jpg (92.1 KB, 17 views)
Old 04-06-2018, 12:13 PM
Heavy Contributor

Make sure your travel hasn't changed. You don't want to smash something cause your swingarm travel increased.
Old 04-06-2018, 12:46 PM
Lurker

Yikes! I hadn't thought of that. I'd just heard that people had used them with success on the Coolster. Looking at them side by side, the bump stop distance is about 1.5" longer than stock. I see on my A-arms, one of the grease nipples was busted off, and there's a matching mark on the frame (with the stock shocks - gotta love that engineering)... That could be remedied by flipping it over from the looks of things. Looks like the first thing to hit on the rear would be the exhaust. I did plan on possibly upgrading that. Might have to now. I'll bounce on it front and back, with the shock on the softest setting when I get it all back together. Thanks for the heads up
Old 04-06-2018, 12:48 PM
Lurker

Did you have any increased swingarm travel when you moved the axle back?
Old 04-06-2018, 01:26 PM
Heavy Contributor

If I remember correctly, the recon shocks had the same travel as the stockers.

But the wheels effectively had more travel.
Old 04-06-2018, 08:30 PM
Lurker

I have so far only been able to find the suspension travel on the Blaster (7.1"), but not the shock travel. I'm guessing the Blaster has longer A-arms than the Coolster. Hopefully this translates to a Coolster shock with closer travel to the Blaster shock. Fingers crossed.

Last edited by JBeasty; 04-09-2018 at 10:28 AM.
Old 04-07-2018, 07:44 AM
Heavy Contributor

You can kind of change the travel. I think moving the mounting points of the shock to a more lateral position increases the travel, and more horizontal limits the travel.

I may have this backwards..lol Easy enough to test.
Old 04-12-2018, 09:30 AM
Supporting Vendor

There have been a few people who used the Polaris sportsman front suspension with excellent results, but it will take some welding. The problem is too short of travel in the stock setup. The rear on mine I got a set of Chinese gas shocks given to me which softens the ride considerably saving my back. I know some who used the Blaster shocks but I did not notice much difference in the ride when considering the added stress it puts on the ball joints.
Old 04-18-2018, 10:49 AM
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYCARMS View Post
There have been a few people who used the Polaris sportsman front suspension with excellent results, but it will take some welding. The problem is too short of travel in the stock setup. The rear on mine I got a set of Chinese gas shocks given to me which softens the ride considerably saving my back. I know some who used the Blaster shocks but I did not notice much difference in the ride when considering the added stress it puts on the ball joints.
Do you mean swapping the complete front end (shocks, A-arms, tie rods, etc.)? Which model sportsman? Still, may be beyond my skill level. I do see evidence of the exhaust hitting the frame in two places. Do you recall the length of the Chinese gas shocks? And on the front the grease nipples on the upper A-arms have hit the frame (one actually broke off). Hoping the ~1/2" extra length of the Blaster shocks will eliminate (or reduce) this from happening in the future.
Old 04-20-2018, 08:11 PM
Lurker

I might consider lengthening the swing arm a bit (like Jersey Devil did to his Yerf in liduno's best suspension mod ever thread) - if for no other reason than to get the exhaust out of the line of impact on the frame. I know I'll have to move rear shock mounts. An added bonus would be more rear suspension travel/comfort.

Sycarms, how involved is the Polaris front suspension conversion?

Thanks for any insight guys.
Old 04-20-2018, 09:01 PM
Supporting Vendor

I think someone posted here some time ago in stages of progress and from what I seen it was a fairly easy project. Do a search i.e.( Coolster or 6250 front end swap). if you come up with nothing than PM me.
Old 04-23-2018, 04:12 PM
Lurker

Did a fair amount of searching and came up empty handed. I tried: Coolster front end swap, Coolster GK 6250 front suspension swap, Polaris sportsman front suspension swap on a Coolster GK 6250, etc. I'll PM you. If it's a hassle for you, don't sweat it. I'm a ways from putting this thing together. Looks like I have more pressing issues now. It appears my swing arm is bent, or at least the rear caliper mount is tweaked. You can see in the first pic it's actually touching the frame. Also, the PO either ground the caliper to make the mounts line up, or just rode it and let the rotor do the grinding. My new caliper will no way mount up without some sort of modification of the mounts. Can't decide if I should try to fix this somehow, or just hunt down a new swing arm.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3699.jpg (86.9 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3716.jpg (83.4 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3722.jpg (92.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3727.jpg (92.1 KB, 13 views)