BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Old 01-29-2012, 01:03 PM
Power User

Default Yerf axles ....

Is there anything available out there to replace the stock gx150/spiderbox axle? I'm talking tubular bulletproof type. I know BD has the heavy duty solid axle, but right now it looks like they're trying to sell off a run through of a set of bad ones with a bend in them.
Old 01-29-2012, 05:16 PM

Ckau has a post about using a "bullet proof" design, but I haven't heard back about it.

http://buggymasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=531
Old 01-29-2012, 08:14 PM
Super Moderator

To my knowledge there isn't any other axles available. The BD axles may or may not be bent @ delivery-but will be just after installation if you drive off-road (bought 2,got 1 replaced, same issue every time). I had a custom axle made and snapped it after 6 months. When you factor the narrow width, the specific splined hubs and the sprocket/brake rotor carriers are welded in place, the pivot point bushings & brackets failure rate- it just made sense for me to just come up with a totally different set-up that could be maintained and have options to modify it. I wanted more width (44"). That's the reason I used the BX125 axle & components with a home built swingarm in my wifes Yerf (1-1/2 yrs later-zero issues). Ckau's mod's look great for a fix, letting you use a standard axle & components.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:14 AM
Heavy Contributor

My brothers axle broke on his spiderbox about a month ago, he was going up a hill coming off our trail and the wheel just fell off. Our trail is not hard at all, on a scale of 1-10 (10 being like rock climbing) I'd say it's 4.5.
Our fix was to take an old swing arm that I had laying around do some cutting and welding to get it to fit. The axle on the new swing arm was a tad beefier (the stock spiderbox hubs were to small to fit).

today he hit a tree and ripped the lower right A-Arm from the box. Now we have to do some more welding to beef his up, I might as well do mine too while were at it. (but that's a whole other problem).

anywayz...
if you follow this link on the right side about 1/3 down the page you can see how this guy kinda beefed up the stock axle by grafting a .982 ID steel tub on the end of his hubs, then he put a split locking collar on it for further support.
I liked the mod, and it was the only option I could find so I did it... the problem, is that the .982 ID is very close to hugging the stock axle but there is a half mm gap or so may be less, so it really doesn't take the stress off the stock axle as much as I thought it would, but I guess it's better than nothing at all.

http://home.comcast.net/~mburnette/yerf.htm

I was gonna buy one of the bdx axles but I don't want to pay the 175 or so bucks for something that is bent when you buy it! lol (maybe if it was 99.00 I'd think about it, but that extra 75 is crazy).

Last edited by T3beatz; 02-02-2012 at 01:18 AM.
Old 02-02-2012, 04:56 PM

I've been thinking about that grafting idea ^^^^, but instead of using the split collar, I was thinking of drilling and tapping the pipe for set screws. That should help hold it tight.

What do you guys think about that?
Old 02-02-2012, 05:19 PM
Heavy Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
I've been thinking about that grafting idea ^^^^, but instead of using the split collar, I was thinking of drilling and tapping the pipe for set screws. That should help hold it tight.

What do you guys think about that?
That should be better than the lock collar, I was gonna buy a couple collars but I don't think that they can tighten enough to bend the tubing around the axle... The tubing is pretty thick, its 1.25" OD and .982 ID the wall thickness is .268, You'd have to have a super lock collar to squeeze it. I like your Idea better with drilling and tapping the pipe, that should work much better with taking some of the stress off of the splines.

I was also thinking about just welding the whole hub and tube onto the axle but I would have no option in the future if I wanted to change things out, so that went out the door.

I found some at the local metal supply store http://www.shapirosupply.com/ they ship also.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:22 PM
Super Moderator

That's about the same fix as ckau's!!!
http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=864
Old 02-02-2012, 08:13 PM
Heavy Contributor

If you can wait a day or so until I have more time I'll give a complete rundown and parts list to do this conversion.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:10 PM
Heavy Contributor

Ckau, that would be great! I'm sure everyone following would appreciate it.

I'm about to paint my buggy in a couple days so I'll have it all apart and that would be a good time to get most beef up's and welding done.