BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 250cc and Above Engine Tech

250cc and Above Engine Tech Technical Discussion Forum for 250cc and up Engines

Old 05-09-2013, 01:07 PM
Lurker

Default Roketa GK06 Runs 1/2 mile then falls on it's face. HELP!!!

My in laws gave me there GK-06 Roketa that has sat 9 months. I went through the buggy. Rebuilt the carb, packed bearings, new fuel line/filter, cleaned out tank, and all new fluids. The buggy fires up with just a tap of the key and I can ride it about 1/2 mile. Then the buggy becomes lethargic, and wont do anything above idle. Falls flat on its face. If I press the gas pedal past the first inch or so the engine cuts out. I can catch it if I release the pedal fast. The only thing I can think of is the engine is getting hot and not cooling properly. For that first 1/2 mile it runs like it did when it was new. After it sits for the night and cools completly it runs fine once again for a short distance. I checked the coil when it acts up and it is .5 ohm resistance when running good and when it acts up so I assume its fine. I checked the intake for any small cracks and there is none. I also watched the fuel filter to see if it was a fuel tank lid issue and it is not. The one issue I did notice last night was the choke enricher is showing no resistance when I put my meter on it no matter if it's cold, or hot while running. Could my choke be stuck wide open?
Thanks guys for any input!
Old 05-09-2013, 08:56 PM

It's possible. Remove it and see if it is actually stuck in the on position, it is an easy fix if thats the case, or you can convert it to a manual on/off set up like some here have done.

'04 Dazon Raider 150 'modded'
Old 05-11-2013, 10:59 PM
Lite Contributor

When I first got my Roketa GK06 Buggy it wouldn't even start. I had to raise the idle to get it to run. Then it would stall out every so often exhibiting the very same symptoms you mentioned. My buggy was gravity fed which means the fuel tank was higher than the carb so the fuel would flow through the fuel lines into the filter and then into the carb. The fuel line was too long and the fuel would stop flowing periodically so I shortened the fuel line. Now I have a vacuum operated fuel pump installed and never have a problem. However, in your case it could be the choke. They are inexpensive and easy to replace so give that a try first. Pull your plug when the engine is cold and check the color. Should be brownish. If it's black you are running too rich. This could indicate that the choke is stuck in the on position. Check the level of the antifreeze in the radiator. My GK06 has a water cooled CN250 Engine. Yours should too. There is a thermostat in a housing that attaches to the right side of the engine that can be removed and replaced. If the problem is heat related then replace the thermostat. They are also inexpensive. Best of luck.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:56 PM
Lite Contributor

loosen the gas cap and try it, if it runs fine the vent in the gas cap is plugged up.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:32 AM
Lurker

Checked the gas cap. I had the same issue with the fuel line being to long. So I had to shorten it also. I just took the pecock apart, ran new fuel line, and a new filter. As soon as this new choke arrives I will try to crank it again and see how she does.. Hopefully it solves it.
Thanks guys.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:58 AM

Good luck & let us know!
Old 05-13-2013, 11:23 AM
Lite Contributor

These engines are aluminum...including the head. If the problem is heat related and you don't address it you could warp the head. This will, in turn, decrease your compression. If replacing the choke doesn't work consider replacing the thermostat and top off the radiator with a 50/50 mix of antifreeze.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:13 AM
Lurker

Well I took the fuel tank off and flushed it a few times and you would not believe the crap that came out of it. I also cleaned the petcock and reassembled it. All new fuel lines, filter, and a rebuilt carb again. Now it runs better than new. Thanks guys!
Old 06-06-2013, 03:00 PM
Lite Contributor

Good work. Enjoy!