BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 05-30-2012, 09:59 AM
Lurker

Default Pullimng out my hair with this no spark problem! 150 GY6

I have been trying for a week to figure out why Im getting no spark. Its a 2007 Carter talon 150 GY6 with an AC CDI.

It would start up sometimes, but most times it wont. When it first started acting up, it could run almost all day, then not start for 2 days. Its just very random. I tested it and got 130 AC volts going into the CDI via the red/black wire, the trigger wire shows .5 AC volts so those are both good. Now the black/yellow wire that goes to the coil is showing no voltage so I assumed the CDI was bad.

Got the new CDI yesterday, plugged it in, tried to start it for about 3 seconds..... nothing. Fiddled with it, tried again and it started almost right up. Ran it for about 40 seconds and turned it off. Put everything back in its place and get in to drive it around and it wont crank! Now I start looking for frayed wires/ short circuits and find out that 2 of the 4 wires that plug into the voltage regulator/rectifier are rubbed raw and probably touching/shorting out. So I rewire all 4 wires that plug into the voltage regulator with new insulated connectors and wiring and hook it all back up. Crank the engine and it starts! Alright! But....... then it dies after about 20 seconds when I moved the CDI box (I was attempting to put the CDI box in its holder while it was running) as if I flipped the kill switch. Now I have no idea what to do. I tested the stator wires again. good voltage on trigger wire and about 130 volts from black/red wire, tested the 2 wires on the coil and it has about .2 AC volts. I did manage to test the 2 coil wires while it was running and got 2.9 AC volts. I dont understand whats going on here? I see no more frayed wires. There is good voltage going into the CDI from the stator, but hardly anything coming out of the CDI. Sometimes, it will run but most times it wont! The kill switch wire is pulled out of the CDI connector so that rules out the kill switch. The green/white ground wire going into the CDI tested good with key on. All grounds have tested good. Did I get a bad CDI? Or did something cause it to blow? Would the voltage regulator/rectifier wires rubbing cause the CDI to malfunction? I didnt think the rectifier had anything to do with the ignition system.

For the record, I got an $8 CDI (I assume its from China). Is there a brand of CDI I should have went with? Are the cheap ones known to be faulty brand new? Please help guys! Im in the Air Force and leaving for basic training and tech school in one week. I really wanted to get this running before I left for my 2 kids. If I dont, its gonna sit there for 4 months until I get back. Many Thanks so much!!!

Last edited by jayrod2; 05-30-2012 at 10:04 AM.
Old 05-30-2012, 03:56 PM
Administrator

Seems the best way to find an electrical problem is through good old replacement. Fortunately, most of the parts are cheap. I'd try a coil next. Hinestly from the sounds of it, I'd be looking at the wiring again as well. Maybe bad ground somewhere which would show it's ugly head under vibrating conditions.

Find a scooter shop nearby. Most of the parts are interchangeable between the scooters and the buggys.
Old 05-30-2012, 04:13 PM
Lurker

FINALLY found the problem! It was a bad connection. The 4 plug connector (ground, black/yellow wire to coil, & trigger wire), and the 2 plug connector (kill & stator wire) were not making good contact where it plugs into the CDI. This would explain why I was getting no voltage coming out of the CDI or at the coil and also why it would only run sometimes.

The connectors were wore out bad, so bad that I could wiggle the wires while someone tried to start it and it still wouldnt start! I would go to say 2 or 3 of them werent making contact. I stuffed some strands of 18 gauge wire in each connector end (as a quick test) and it fired right up. Drove it for a good while and everythings fine.

What a relief! I hope this helps someone who has similar problems. I always hate it when someone doesnt come back and post how they fixed the problem.

Man, I know this ignition system front and back now!

Thanks for the tip on scooter parts being interchangeable.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:19 PM
Super Moderator

Good luck with the basic training- glad you figured it out!.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:37 PM
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrod2 View Post
FINALLY found the problem! It was a bad connection. The 4 plug connector (ground, black/yellow wire to coil, & trigger wire), and the 2 plug connector (kill & stator wire) were not making good contact where it plugs into the CDI. This would explain why I was getting no voltage coming out of the CDI or at the coil and also why it would only run sometimes.

The connectors were wore out bad, so bad that I could wiggle the wires while someone tried to start it and it still wouldnt start! I would go to say 2 or 3 of them werent making contact. I stuffed some strands of 18 gauge wire in each connector end (as a quick test) and it fired right up. Drove it for a good while and everythings fine.

What a relief! I hope this helps someone who has similar problems. I always hate it when someone doesnt come back and post how they fixed the problem.

Man, I know this ignition system front and back now!

Thanks for the tip on scooter parts being interchangeable.

Hey man i just got a Carter talon GX 150 bought it used and its in great condition. Guy i bought it from said it only has around 20 hrs on it and 5 years old. Runs great then just cuts out randomly like yours did, starts sometimes then it wont. I leave it a couple of hours or go back next day and it starts. I cleaned the carb,replaced the spark plug and it still happens. Also put chemtool in the gas tank with fresh fuel as previous owner told me the fuel in the tank was quite old. Now reading this forum i have just joined i am seriously thinking i have the same problem as you had. I am completely new to this and this is my first Go kart buggy. I think i have identified the wires to the CDI you mention but would need to get myself a multi meter to check them. Did you replace the whole plastic sealed plug or just rewire into it. I would need to look at it more when i get the time but it does not seem like there is any real way to secure the wires in there or remove them. Any info pics or anything would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

John