BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 250cc and Above Engine Tech

250cc and Above Engine Tech Technical Discussion Forum for 250cc and up Engines

Old 06-10-2018, 03:34 PM
Contributor

Default lifan 250 questions

I might be putting my hands on a lifan 250 that was ordered for a project but never used. It's manual clutch but does have a reverse gear built in. Wondering if anybody can answer some questions. If I bite I can get it for $300 and it's still in the shipping crate IE it's never been run. Might just pick it up because I'm an engine horder.

1. Will an yamaha rhino aluminum radiator be enough to keep it cool with a full fan shroud with the largest fan that will fit? Supposed to keep a 700cc cool but it seems the honda civic rad is the go to. It's on a wrecked rhino (not damaged) but I can pick it up with a little horse trading.

2. Is a 30mm carb big enough to at least get it running and tested? If I get it I plan on getting a 32mm later but right now if I can use what I have it knocks the cost down.

3. Will any of the electronics (CDI, ect) from the gy6 work on the 250?

4. Haven't even researched it but is there any easy parts support for these? Seems most chinese engines are a copy of some japanese. If so what would this be to even search for parts?

This is going on my son's 150 kinroad. I was planning on putting a 400ex on it but I think I'll save it for a custom frame with better suspension. If I'm gonna swap him over to something with a clutch and gears I think he will be better off learning on something a bit milder than this built up 400. Either engine will be a total new swing arm with the new engine so it can be down as little as possible and go back to a gy6 with ease. Not chopping it to do anything crazy like add IRS.

Thanks

Last edited by neo71665; 06-10-2018 at 03:37 PM.
Old 06-11-2018, 10:55 AM
Supporting Vendor

Yamaha rad. will be sufficient. I'm still using the stock 29mm carb on my 250 with big bore cam and ported head. A 32 on stock Eng. will be overkill. No GY6 will not work with the 250. I'm not a big fan of that engine. The 400 EX with reverse is a much better choice.