BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Old 11-28-2011, 12:57 AM
Heavy Contributor

Default New Project! Crossfire 150 RTR!!

Hey guys, Just Picked up a new toy yesterday, a Tomberlin Crossfire 150. I'm the third owner so I don't know How much time is on the motor, don't know what year it is either. It's in decent shape, the motor runs, Idles OK, and it drives, it's completely stock with no upgrades, and the frame is in good condition. but that's about as far as I'd say is good right now.

1. Three of the tires hold are OK, one of the fronts has a slow leak, I'll get some fix-a-flat for it and see if that works. They also show signs of some dry rotting hopefully they will last a while till I can get some new ones.
2. The guy took to seat belts off and lost one of them so I only have one seat belt, 4 point harness.
3. The bulbs are missing from the lights (don't know which ones to buy yet to replace them).
4. Both the ignition and the kill switches are not working right, the Kill switch is completely done, and the ignition key switch has some kind of short (I have to press on the wires on the back for it to turn over). I'm going to replace the kill, and try and repair the Ignition switch.
5. The passenger seat is in pretty bad shape, the bottom is missing the covering! Need new seats, or I need to find some good weather resistant seat covers that fit pretty tight.
6. No seat adjustment for the Driver side, less leg room than my Spiderbox.
7. Needs a New paint job, it's pretty weathered, the guy who owned it had it in a shed for a year just sittin up collecting dust, got to do some cleaning.
8. Oh, the electric choke is not working (the guy didn't know what it was, he just says he has to take it out to get it to start and put it back in to drive it).
9. He also said the rear axal may have a slight bend (can't tell when riding off road, so all is good there, I guess).
10. Tail light out.

Other than that it doesn't look like it was riddin to hard at all, Most of the stuff on the bad list is minor things, that should take a weekend to fix. I figured It would be a good buggy to take a chance on, parts still can be found, and lot's of people say it's good on the trails.
I got a pretty good deal on it, I traded my Manco Intruder (which I didn't pay a lot for anywayz). They had kids and the Crossifire is to big for them, my gain!

I was gonna spend some time cleaning the carb and changing the oil today, but I decided to take it out on the trail first to compare it to my Spiderbox. All was good untill the choke kept poping out (he didn't put the screws back in to hold it down). After the suspension upgrades I did with the Yerf it is pretty close in ride quality, but the Crossfire has better turning at the moment (it has 19x7x8 wheels on the front 22x10x10 on the back) the Spiderbox has the stock turf wheels all around so right now things are kinda unbalanced.

Here are a couple pics... It's a little muddy, this is after the trail ride (we had rain yesterday). What would you guys Fix/Upgrade first? (other than the ignition stuff, that's first on the list).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_3169.jpg (95.3 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg 100_3170.jpg (94.5 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg 100_3171.jpg (97.4 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 100_3172.jpg (96.3 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg 100_3173.jpg (94.9 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by T3beatz; 11-28-2011 at 09:19 AM.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:56 AM
Heavy Contributor

You got a good one there. The crossfires are really decent machines.I focus on getting the machine mechanicaly fit in stock form before I try any modifications Nuts,bolts, wheel bearings, wiriing, steering etc. all the chassis stuff. It grips me to go try a upgrade only to have something else break while trying it out.
after you run it for a while, you'll get a good idea of what you want to do first.
Contact Krusecontrol, he's a member on here. The North East Buggy Assocoation uses a lot of crossfires. Some of them crazy radical! They can tell you the good stuff.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:00 AM
Heavy Contributor

Yeah, I worked on the wiring for a while yesterday before I drove it... and a little after, the ignition break switch is mounted to the master cylinder but it was rigged so that you wouldn't have to press the pedal. I just took that wire completely out, I also removed the tail light wire (it was taking up space in the electric box, I'll wire in a new one some day down the road, don't need it anywayz). I'm gonna go out and figure out how to take the ignition switch out so I can work on it, and after that it's just little stuff like cleaning the engine, and lubing everything, and she should be good to go.
Old 11-28-2011, 03:29 PM
Super Moderator

Nice buggy- they're very durable-I don't see any front brakes- it must be one of the first ones. I didn't realize they all didn't come with a seat adjuster. You'll enjoy it!!!
Old 11-28-2011, 03:37 PM
Contributor

good lookin buggy,looks like alota fun!
Old 11-28-2011, 04:24 PM
Heavy Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalstudman1 View Post
Nice buggy- they're very durable-I don't see any front brakes- it must be one of the first ones. I didn't realize they all didn't come with a seat adjuster. You'll enjoy it!!!
Yeah, no front breaks or reverse, from reading I think that only comes on the 150R model, I'm sure I can get some the spindles have the bolt holes for break calipers... That's a summer upgrade, I guess... I don't ride that hard right now anywho my trails are probably easy/medium mostly.

the no seat adjuster does suck a little, but even if I could I think there is only like 3-4" behind the seat to move it back a little, but that's better than none at all.

I'll probably be replacing both seats with some Spiderbox seats if they will fit, and grab some cushioned seat covers or something. I've seen some car racing bucket seats on Ebay for like 220.00 a pair shipped, but they are cloth, they come with sliders, I wonder if they will bolt right up?

I have a question, I plan on replacing the stock air box because it has some cracks in it... I'm gonna get a foam type air filter... there is a line coming from the front of the engine (Valve cover) to the airbox. If I get one of the Uni filters where would this line be routed to?

Last edited by T3beatz; 11-28-2011 at 04:30 PM.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:04 PM
Super Moderator

The valve cover line goes to open air-so where ever you want it to end up where it isn't spaying oil on other parts other than the chain.Spiderbox bucket seats will & do fit- they only come with a 4 bolt pattern and no seat adjuster.Northern Tools sells a good seat adjuster for less than $20. I have regular size buckets in the kid's Punisher, they just barely fit-22" each seat at the max. "widest" point will work. Doubt the ones you're looking at will bolt right up!!! you have 2 rails (very narrow) & cars use a much wider platform. I bought 2 vinyl ,manual adjustment seats from the wrecking yard -$50. for the pair, I did have to put my own adjuster as the seats were really high with the ones that came on them. Our buggy has tons of leg room- maybe with a higher setting seat in it will improve your space as the roll cage has plenty of headroom.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:50 PM
Heavy Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalstudman1 View Post
The valve cover line goes to open air-so where ever you want it to end up where it isn't spaying oil on other parts other than the chain.Spiderbox bucket seats will & do fit- they only come with a 4 bolt pattern and no seat adjuster.Northern Tools sells a good seat adjuster for less than $20. I have regular size buckets in the kid's Punisher, they just barely fit-22" each seat at the max. "widest" point will work. Doubt the ones you're looking at will bolt right up!!! you have 2 rails (very narrow) & cars use a much wider platform. I bought 2 vinyl ,manual adjustment seats from the wrecking yard -$50. for the pair, I did have to put my own adjuster as the seats were really high with the ones that came on them. Our buggy has tons of leg room- maybe with a higher setting seat in it will improve your space as the roll cage has plenty of headroom.
I might do that with the seats... I'll look around and see what I can find, and sit them just a little higher and adjust the wheel, that should give a little extra leg room. here are the seats I was talking about... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevy-2x-JDM...ht_8625wt_1396 I'm cheap though. knowing me I'll just find a good pair of nylon, or something like it seat covers that will work just fine.

Thanks for the info on the Valve cover line, I'll find a good place to route it.

Well, for now thanks! I'll post more pics as I do more to it, It's Christmas time so that's gonna cut in on a lot of my Hobby spending money so most things probably wont be getting done till after the new year. For now I'll just get the engine and electrics as close to 100% as I can and have a little fun riding it.

Whats a good place to get sheet plastic from?

Last edited by T3beatz; 11-28-2011 at 10:58 PM.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:11 AM
Super Moderator

I'm really CHEAP!!!!! Nice seats for $117. but the $125. frieght is crazy.Just for reference those seats are the right width but the depth was really deep for a buggy like yours.My seats came out of an Opal, Miata seats are perfect but they always want way too much for them since they come with speakers in the headrest! car seats don't have to come out of an import or smaller car as I measured dozens of sets- the biggest challenge was finding manual seats-not electric. Speedway motors has sheet goods.