BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Old 05-20-2011, 12:25 PM
Lurker

Default New Kart for my 7 old

Hello all

In mid April I decided to buy a small starter kart for my boy. I intentionally bought an inexpensive kart since I have no experience with this sport and figured I would learn along the way. I bought the kart through powersportsmax.com and the following is the link to what I purchased: http://www.powersportsmax.com/produc...ducts_id/14856

Interestingly enough my learning had to begin in the first week when the pull start broke. Fortunatly I found a merchant that was able to fix it for me (he basically had to do a small redesign) and I was back in business. I then figured I would research if I could add an electric start to it and have been having a hard time finding anything around this upgrade which then sparked my concern. Did I buy such a piece of junk that I will be looking to buy something of higher quality so my kids can enjoy the kart? I have pretty thick skin and I don't mind being told I made a huge mistake here... I just want to learn and perhaps really jump into this hobby with my next step being the correct step.

Best regards and thanks for any advice you have to offer.

Henry
Old 05-20-2011, 08:49 PM
Super Moderator

Gotta start somewhere when buying a kart- you bought a new one so you're better off than most. One of the most common failures on this type engine is the pull cord. Install a GOOD cord. Find a place that sells STIHL,ECHO products (commercial landscaping power tools, small engine repair shop) and buy some cord there, usually on a roll, sold by the foot, know how long it needs to be & double it.That way you have a spare when you need it. Very simple to install if you didn't already get your education. Your idea of an electric start isn't just something you can buy and add on that motor. First issue with that motor is there's no alternator to charge a battery to give the starter juice, second the engine has to be designed for a starter from the factory to have a place to get access to the top flywheel gear. The beauty of your actions are that when this one has out lived it's usefullness you'll know what components are important on the next one & make an educated purchase.