BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Old 09-05-2012, 11:41 AM
Lurker

Default Do Buggies Have Titles?

So, I've never bought an ATV / Buggy / Gigantic GoKart before. Yesterday I bought a 2007 Carter 250 GTR. I can get a bill of sale for it, but the person said they never had a title. Do these originally come with titles? Do I have to worry about registering it with the state? Are these even considered ATV's or are they "Recreational Off-Highway Vehicles?"

I'm just worried that I may have made a bad purchase.

I live in MO.

Thanks,
Old 09-05-2012, 02:26 PM
Power User

It varies state-by-state as to what they're classified as and what the owner needs to do to ride public access ATV trails. In PA you have to have a VIN number for it, the state classes them as ATVs, but on a case-by-case basis before they'll issue a registration that allows one to ride the state trails.
Old 09-05-2012, 04:17 PM
Lurker

Well, from what I can find, these are not ATV's in missouri, they are "recreational offroad vehicles." I would just worry about being hassled if I didn't have my little missouri sticker on it.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:22 PM

Default ohio headache

u wouldnt believe what u have to go thru in ohio & with so many private riding areas its just not worth it in my opinion!
Old 09-05-2012, 08:51 PM
Lite Contributor

I live in missouri and mine came with a certificate of origin. without it I couldnt even register it.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:40 PM
Contributor

I would agree with trailrider but I don't know if mine were a title or cert of orgin as he states.Almost all buggys have a metal plate on the floorboard that lists weight make and place of build and thats why I lean towards the paper document being a title........it might be a nice buggy but around here the law and DMV would still call it a "GO KART". mancoman
Old 09-06-2012, 06:40 PM
Lite Contributor

I live in MA and let me tell yah, they are tough..These buggies do not need titles, but if your going to ride in public trails you will at least need to have some proof of purchase or a bill of sale so you will be able to register it... if your riding on private property then you won't need anything..it is always a good idea to get some sort of bill of sale or proof of purchase (receipt) just so u can prove it is yours.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:51 PM

Default thru the hoops

ohio requires a notorized bill of sale with a detailed description & serial# of the vehicle and u must bring the vehicle to the dmv for a visual inspection & verification of bill of sale comparison of the buggy then it must be weight so u can apply for an "mso" once u pay for that then u can apply for an orv permit.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:20 AM
Lurker

I'm not too sure what to do with it. I called the DMV and they said there is nothing they can do for it since its not an ATV.

I did get a bill of sale, but I'm not too sure where to go from here. I just want to be able to use it on trails and not get hassled. I wonder if I can use the bill of sale to get a replacement MSO.

Trailrider, did you just take the MSO to the DMV?
Old 09-07-2012, 09:26 AM
Lite Contributor

I went up there wanting to register it and they told me I had to bring my certificate of origin in,which I forgot, then I could register it. Did you buy yours new? My dealer forgot to get me one and I had to go back and ask for it.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:35 AM
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailrider198686 View Post
I went up there wanting to register it and they told me I had to bring my certificate of origin in,which I forgot, then I could register it. Did you buy yours new? My dealer forgot to get me one and I had to go back and ask for it.
No, I bought it used. Its a 2007. I live in St Louis, and I bought it in IL. Not sure if MSO's are requirements in IL. Either way, the person I bought it from said they had nothing like a title for it. The only thing I have is a bill of sale.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:56 AM
Lite Contributor

I think your out of luck then. I had my bill of sale with me and they said no we can't use that. I would think there would be ways to get a title but it may be a pain in the butt. The good news is all st joe requires is a helmet and a flag and that place rocks! I'm getting mine registered though so I can take it down to goose creek because they want that plus insurance. Where are you planning on riding? What kind of buggy did you buy?
Old 09-07-2012, 09:57 AM
Lite Contributor

Neverming I see now its a gtr 250. Oops. Haha
Old 09-07-2012, 10:11 AM
Lurker

I want to take it to st joes and mark twain. We hunt at Mark Twain so it would be really nice to have it there. I tried getting it insured through american family, who has my car, and they said they dont insure buggies any more.

The lady at the DMV said if I was really adamant about getting a title, i could go through small claims and have one court ordered.

I tried calling carter brothers, but I'm not sure whats going on with them. They may be closed. Their email address returns emails as undeliverable and their 1-800 doesn't work...
Old 09-07-2012, 10:39 AM
Lite Contributor

Well good luck with the title. And carter brothers is no longer around. Ive went fishing at mark twain but didn't know you could ride there. I'll have to check that out.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:33 AM
Lurker

Last question. When you took your MSO in the first time, did they take it and mail you a title like they do with cars?
Old 09-07-2012, 11:45 AM
Lite Contributor

I haven't went back up there yet I'm going tomorrow. But They said that the mso is the same thing as a title. But I dont think they will take it? My dealer did sign the back of mine though so maybe? I can let you know exactly what happens tomorrow
Old 09-07-2012, 02:02 PM
Lite Contributor

You should be able to go to city hall and they can give you a permit...not the dmv...as it is not driven on the street.. This is the what i was told by city hall
Old 09-07-2012, 11:24 PM
Contributor

Idaho, has you beat in sucking for getting a buggy titled. I did a HH250 & a Dazon 250 neither had cert of origin. this meant that I had to haul them over to not 1 or 2, but 3 seperate DMV offices plus an inspection from the sheriff. Luckly the sheriff was my brother, otherwise it would not of happened. Cost me over 100.00 each, I forget the exact amount, plus I then had to come back and prove I had insurance on them before DMV would give me my offroad plate. Insurance on the 2 was about 250 a year.
Old 09-08-2012, 06:39 PM
Contributor

Here are photos of the paper form that came with my buggy when it was new and the metal floorplate. mancoman
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1478.jpg (94.6 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1479.jpg (91.6 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1489.jpg (81.7 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1490.jpg (79.2 KB, 8 views)
Old 09-08-2012, 08:00 PM
Lurker

Wow. Very much like a title. Thanks.

I'm going to follow COBRAHMA's advice an try city hall. Guess then I'll do small claims. I talked to the court clerk and she said it should be less than 50$ to have one issued.

Thanks for all your help guys.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:24 AM
Contributor

None of these comes with a title. When talking to folks about registration riding at their park, permits what ever call it a sidexside not a buggy. If you dont own a china buggy you assume a buggy is a VW beam style buggy. I dont think you need anything in Mo. to ride on state land. St. Joes is a state park I believe and the bash has been there for 6 or 7 years. I been 4 times myself and aint never been asked for nothing but my money to ride.

They dont title "go carts" and if they called them sxs or any other real off road machine and you got hurt cause something just fell off or brakes did'nt work or any other possible issue with china machines they would have their rear in a sling. But when you take a go cart up a hill and flip it crush the cage and get hurt, well it was a go cart and not intended for that purpose.
Old 09-10-2012, 02:48 PM
Power User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckorlando View Post
They dont title "go carts" and if they called them sxs or any other real off road machine and you got hurt cause something just fell off or brakes did'nt work or any other possible issue with china machines they would have their rear in a sling. But when you take a go cart up a hill and flip it crush the cage and get hurt, well it was a go cart and not intended for that purpose.

Yep. if you're looking to do anything "official" with it call it either a side by side or an ATV. Call it anything else and the door gets slammed shut pretty quickly.

As far as regulatory agencies go on these, there are no controls whatsoever on them or golf carts in regards to design, construction or safety. The CPSC (Consumer Protection & Safety Commission--federal) is presently studying whether or not they should set standards and regulate them along those lines. They've classified them separate from ATVs as "Off Road Vehicles." On the state level, the term ORV doesn't exist. So for now the door is open to register and use them, just depends a lot on what term the manufacturer printed on the MCO/MSO.

Right now if you're a manufacturer, the only oversight the CPSC have on these is in regards to safety recalls. They can pretty much build what they want, how you want. If something goes really wrong, they are under the obligation to put it right (Yerf's ball joint/buggy recall for example). Putting it mildly, the CPSC isn't a big fan of them whatsoever. The reps i spoke with "knew" (and gave a groan at the mention of some of their names LOL) all of the not so good buggy quality companies very well. If the CPSC do get involved, the expense of safety testing and the various certifications would put most of the china buggy "companies" out of business just about instantly.

Last edited by x-bird; 09-10-2012 at 02:56 PM.