BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Site News and Suggestions > New Member Introduction

New Member Introduction New to the forum? Say hello here!

Old 05-06-2013, 08:54 PM
Lurker

Default Hello from Space Coast FL (Spiderbox w/13hp)

Hello all fellow buggers?
New to buggies but I've had go karts before. I am now the proud owner of a yerf dog spiderbox. I have alot to learn and my ride need all of the upgrades, front end rims, tires, shocks. it runs now but i just dont have confidence in the front end or the drive train. I have a 13 Hp honda clone, which has a 1"bore on it. currently it has a clutch which really doesnt engage well with the size of the motor. I would like to replace with a torque converter model 40. however my obstacle right now is, i purchased some rims and tires at a really good deal and now i have to find hubs that fit. it seems that the spacing on the bolt pattern is pretty large. does anyone know the diameter of the axle spindle part? I found hubs that fit my rims from a suzuki lt230 but not sure if i should pull the trigger because they might not sit the rear axle? not as worried about the front because of all the mods that have to be done to the spindles. please anyone?
Old 05-06-2013, 10:22 PM

Welcome. The Yerf spiderbox rear hub bolt pattern is a 4X110mm
My Yerban assault vehicle: 2.2mm stroker crank, 62mm Nikasil cyl, Taida large vavle head, American made valve springs, ported intake manifold, TM 28mm carb, stock CDI, Bando coil, TK exhaust, stock CVT except for the 14g sliders, 13/40 internal gears, 16T drive, 31T axle sprocket, 22" rear tires, and ONE BIG POTATO CANNON mounted on top..........
Old 05-06-2013, 10:47 PM
Lurker

Default spline

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
Welcome. The Yerf spiderbox rear hub bolt pattern is a 4X110mm
Thanks Xlint, do you happen to know the spline size?
Old 05-07-2013, 10:52 AM

Welcome abourd, I'm sure ur gonna like it here!
Old 05-07-2013, 06:28 PM

I THINK someone mentioned the splined portion of the axle to be ~3/4" inside the spline. I don't think anyone really knows cause the axles on the spiderbox are garbage. If it don't bend, it will shear of the axle at the splines. Check CKAU's threads for the upgrades he did with the axle, but most toss that one and opt for a 1" flexpruf axle and add a bearing or two for support. You can reuse the yerf hubs, but will need a 1" drill bit to take the splines out of the hubs before fitting them to the new axle.

I have opted for a 4x4" bolt pattern on my spiderbox front and rear, and that makes it so much easier to buy wheels, not to mention cheaper, and all the go kart supply places offer the 4x4" hubs for the new axle.

I strongly recommend doing the swap in the rear and figure out the bolt pattern you want to use before doing the spindle upgrades. If you want, check my engine swap thread, I have not made it to the rear just yet, but about 92.451% done with the frame and front end. The rear is next, and I have parts gathered and waiting for it.

'04 Dazon Raider 150 'modded'
Old 05-07-2013, 09:14 PM
Lurker

Default wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masteryota View Post
I THINK someone mentioned the splined portion of the axle to be ~3/4" inside the spline. I don't think anyone really knows cause the axles on the spiderbox are garbage. If it don't bend, it will shear of the axle at the splines. Check CKAU's threads for the upgrades he did with the axle, but most toss that one and opt for a 1" flexpruf axle and add a bearing or two for support. You can reuse the yerf hubs, but will need a 1" drill bit to take the splines out of the hubs before fitting them to the new axle.

I have opted for a 4x4" bolt pattern on my spiderbox front and rear, and that makes it so much easier to buy wheels, not to mention cheaper, and all the go kart supply places offer the 4x4" hubs for the new axle.

I strongly recommend doing the swap in the rear and figure out the bolt pattern you want to use before doing the spindle upgrades. If you want, check my engine swap thread, I have not made it to the rear just yet, but about 92.451% done with the frame and front end. The rear is next, and I have parts gathered and waiting for it.
Thanks Masteryota! that actually helped me change my mind. I've looked everywhere for a way to mount the rims and tires i bought but i would have to do way to many mods and like you said the tires would be harder and more expensive to replace.
Where did you get a 4x4 rim for the front?
Old 05-07-2013, 09:39 PM

I found a bunch of golf cart tires and wheels for sale on craigslist, and viola, I ended up with 47 of them, and they use the 4x4" bolt pattern. The wheels are 8"x7" and will fit a decent selection of ATV tires. Since then, I traded a set for a set of 10"x7" golf cart wheels, just in case I find some cheap 10" ATV tires too.

The 4x4", or 4 on 4" pattern is also a popular trailer tire size, which also drives the cost of replacement wheels way down, like less then $15 from a trailer site.

I don't think I understood the question, I changed the front spindle from the grade 5, 5/8" bolt, to a 1" trailer spindle that uses 2000lb high speed trailer hubs with the 4x4" pattern.

'04 Dazon Raider 150 'modded'

Last edited by Masteryota; 05-07-2013 at 09:44 PM.