BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Site News and Suggestions > New Member Introduction

New Member Introduction New to the forum? Say hello here!

Old 10-21-2013, 01:37 PM
Lurker

Default New in SW Michigan

Picked up a $100 special a few days ago. it is an older two seater manco with a new 212cc harbor freight engine. I built a new seat for it and did some work on shoring up the pedals. I can post a few pics. I am currently working on a clutch issue and a vibration issue. The clutch never seems to disengage completely, but also takes a bit to engage fully. I am going to take it apart and at least clean it when I get a chance. The vibration issue seems to come from the fact that the previous owner welded a large steel plate to the frame to accommodate the new motor, and then bolted it directly with no rubber mounting boots. I'm going to install some rubber to help with the vibration.

All that being said, it runs and drives, I clocked it at 37mph the other day, I'll see what else I can get out of it once some of the issues are resolved. I'll post pics later.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:23 PM

welcome ,and it sounds like you are off to a good start on it. let us know if we can help you.
Old 10-22-2013, 03:04 AM
Heavy Contributor

Welcome..... rubber mounts will do the trick on ur vibration no doubt.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:59 PM
Power User

most of these type of setups were direct bolt in to the swingarm mount plate. If you're running a comet 30 or 40 series, check your driver/driven pulley alignment, being off a bit can cause the shakes. also check the driven where the rivets are on it's hub. if the pulley plate is cracking there, it'll also give you bad vibes ... then grenade in a bad way. here's my 30 series gone bad--started giving vibrations and putting of more than normal belt dust.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg convertor.jpg (28.9 KB, 6 views)
Old 10-22-2013, 09:12 PM
Heavy Contributor

Xbird is right... I went and checked my motor mount and I DONT see any rubber just a bolt. As odd that may sound. Wow I'm learning.lol.its just a bolt.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:02 AM
Lurker

So I ended up swapping out the clutch (I wasn't patient enough to wait and order one since the weather is turning fast, impatience = $30 higher price at TSC) and adding the rubber mounts last night. The clutch is a different design and works very well compared to what was on there. The one I pulled off had a completely shot spring so the pads were essentially free floating which explains the lack of disengagement.

the homebrew rubber mounts that I came up with seem to work, but I'm not happy with them. I'm also not excited about the mounting platform, the motor is mounted directly over top of the drive gear and the holes are not slotted to provide slack on the chain. I will live with it for now, but if I am going to keep it I will need to do some major modification to or replacement of the motor mounting platform.