BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > Electrical Tech

Electrical Tech General Tech for Electrical issues not related to specific engines (Lights etc)

Old 05-16-2010, 12:13 AM
Lurker

Default cdi bad

I got a helix go cart of a buddy and the wiring is hacked do the wires on the on and off swicthes have to be connected or disconnected and does anyone now how the wires go in the the cdi plags i have two plugs and 4 wires a black one,black and white,green and blue and yellow does anyone know or have a picture of how they go in the plugs
thanks
Old 05-16-2010, 12:10 PM
Administrator

The Helix uses a DC based CDI unit which is not typical. most of them are AC based. Point being, you need to make sure that you get a DC based CDI (get it from gokartsrus.com). Of course, this is provided that it is still wired iin the stock fashion. You say they hacked the wiring on it, did they have the CDI part of the wiring?

Some people will in fact re-wire the machine for an AC based CDI box.

Give me some more details on what wiring has been hacked and we can help some more.
Old 05-17-2010, 12:13 AM
Lurker

By hacked i mean they unplugged all the pins on the cdi plugs and switched them around to try to put on a racing cdi. Today I got actual pictures of another one and plugged all the wires back up the way they are supposed to be and still nothing so Im at a stand still and when i look for the correct cdi im not sure which one to get.
thanks
Old 05-17-2010, 09:42 AM
Heavy Contributor

probaly burned up the cdi
what happens is hooking up a ac cdi
usualy runs but burns out within 30 minutes
you will have to get dc cdi or rewire for ac cdi
and get either cdi
lots of dealers/ parts supplier sell both
30mm cv pumper carb
uni filter no rev cdi
polaris xlt snowmobile shocks for front
w/550 magnum springs & blaster fronts on rear
and another buggy built working on mods gk-13
white spring 17 gram sliders so far

Last edited by olderthan; 05-17-2010 at 03:31 PM.
Old 05-17-2010, 03:04 PM
Lite Contributor

The old school rule of thumb on CDIs is if your lights work only when the motor is running it's an AC CDI, if your lights work when the engine is off but the key is turned on, it's a DC CDI. Does this still apply?,... Hell if I know! lol Here's a more solid way of determining. On either CDI, there's 2 sockets for 6 pin plug ins. A 4 pin socket, and a 2 pin socket. The main thing to look at is the 2 pin socket. On an AC CDI, there are two wires running into the 2 pin socket, on a DC CDI there's only one wire running into the two pin socket. I found this some time back on the internet labled DC to AC CDI Rewire. It's for a 8 pole stator/5 wire connection DC setup. I've never tried it in any real world applications, but it might help you to hack things more correctly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DC to AC CDI Rewire.jpg (19.8 KB, 20 views)