BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > Go Kart Engine and Torque Converter Tech

Go Kart Engine and Torque Converter Tech Forum for discussing go kart engines and torque converters (Briggs, Tecumseh, Suburu, Comet etc)

Old 07-08-2010, 01:40 PM
Lurker

Default Carb Problems on 6 HP Tecumseh for Murray

I got this go kart. It hade been sitting up for a few years. The fuel tank was empty so I took the Carberator apart and cleaned it. There was a good bit of gunk in the bottom of the bowl and the bottom of the float. I sprayed and wiped most everything down. When i put it all back together, and addded fuel to the tank gas started running out of the air intake. Something is obviously stuck. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am working on it now but will check back in from time to time. Thanks.
Old 07-08-2010, 02:27 PM
Super Moderator

Pull the carb off again. remove the jets and clean-I use a sewing needle to clean the holes out-you have to be able to see daylight thru both,also clean all passages with compressed air if possible.These clogged passages don't generally clear themselves thru use.Sounds like float valve is still gummed.
Old 07-08-2010, 04:43 PM
Lurker

Do you know where I can get a diagram or schematic on this carburetor? I think something was altered by the previous owner. I was gonna post a picture but I dropped my camera and broke it just now. Any help would be great.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:45 PM
Super Moderator

Some online sales of these carbs have parts breakdowns. Not much you can alter with a stock carb.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:43 PM
Administrator

Ya they are pretty basic. If you have fuel coming out, your needle and seat aren't right in it.

Beware if you clean that needle and seat passage with compressed air. Do not blow air through it from the fuel inlet into the bowl area. Blow it from the bowl area outward. They use this little rubber seal in there and if you hit it with air from the outside, you'll never see it again. Don't ask me how I know.

Those carbs are nearly impossible to clean the idle ports on.
Old 07-09-2010, 09:58 AM
Lite Contributor

I had the exact same problem with my 6.5 TEC. After messing around for a few days it turned out to be a pin hole in the float. The float wasn't floating in the bowl which caused the fuel to keep flowing.

I noticed it after removing the float... It was full of fuel.

Good luck!