BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Old 09-07-2012, 10:09 PM
Contributor

Default Possibly looking for new kart in (semi-near) future

Hey guys and gals, long time Helix owner here (5+ years). Absolutely love the machine, performs great, runs great (when maintained), and is pure fun to drive! She's starting to show her age though, unfortunately. Beginning to rust, and I've recently counted up to 4 locations where welds have broken on the frame (3 of them around the engine). It's gone through a complete CVT rebuild, 3+ mufflers, at least 5 belts, a new Voltage Regulator, spark plug wire, and has had two new sets of tires (we made the mistake of taking our neighborhood turn at WOT too many times with the 2nd set..... ). We've run that machine hard, but it's not into the ground yet. We have a feeling there's going to come a time soon though where the costs will outweigh the benefits of repairing. So, I've taken up the task of hunting around for a possible upgrade. I first landed on a Carter buggy until I soon found out after that they aren't around anymore (as far as I know). Then, this beauty caught my eye:

http://www.hammerheadoffroad.com/pro...=6&name=GTS150

Having generally good luck with Manco/AMSportworks as our first kart, I looked at the Carbide before. But, I just didn't think it would have the speed our Helix has. Never had experience with any other brand than ASW, but seen a LOT of Hammerhead threads around here.

Is their GTS 150 a keeper, or is it all eye-candy? We probably won't be upgrading too soon, so is there a new kart (yet to be released maybe?) we should keep our eyes open for?

Thanks, and !

Last edited by supertoast92; 09-07-2012 at 10:11 PM.
Old 09-08-2012, 01:53 PM
Contributor

I would get a yerf dog spiderbox
Old 09-11-2012, 06:42 PM
Contributor

Thanks for the reply! I'm not too sure about those, I know it's a popular name around here though. Are they rigid and reliable? More than ASW? I know it's pretty biased to be going simply by looks, but they don't seem too appealing to me.... :\
Old 09-11-2012, 07:02 PM
Power User

really depends on your mechanical abilities with the yerf. if you find one that has had the HD upgrades done to the front end, you're good to go. If not, you'll have some work to do on the front end sooner or later. If you're in the used market, and not handy with tools, cutting grinding and welding, I'd look for a crossfire or baja dune/reaction. Knowing hte NE region, it's pretty slim pickings. a guy had a decent 250 buggy for sale at 750 that needed only a little tlc work in that little town between albany and vermont onroute 7/9 (starts with an H, i can't recall) 2 weeks ago, but the CL ad is gone.

New market -- member Kliff has a write-up on the trailmaster 300, seems to be a pretty decent one. Hammerhead's ben around long enoughto at lkeast trust their product and future stability as well.

Last edited by x-bird; 09-11-2012 at 07:04 PM.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:20 PM
Contributor

Ah thanks for the information! I'm sorry I should have clarified, I'm leaning towards the new market. It's good to hear Hammerhead is a well known company. Just won't be able to find them at our local TS - they've stopped selling karts, at least at my location. That's the place that got us into karting to begin with, by eyeing up their Helix!
Old 09-11-2012, 07:26 PM
Power User

HH has quite a few dealers scattered around, should be a regional chart on their website.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:46 PM
Lite Contributor

I've got a trailmaster 300 and the suckers pretty fast & tough as nails. I ride the wheels off it. It'll climb a hill so steep that it will roll over, almost did that today. Haha. I'm sure the hammerhead will as well though.