BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Old 10-21-2012, 03:27 PM
Lurker

Default Newbie advise!!!! Need help to identify my BUGGYS brand

Hello everyone, as you can see i am new here and this is my first post. Here is my story.

My father bought a used mini buggy 150cc for my younger brother before 3 months. Initially there were some issues with it therefore we had to take it to the mechanics and electricians were we got ripped off. Now i have decided to learn how these buggies work so that i can repair it my self...at least the minor issues. Now the buggy its fine but since its very old i want to rebuild it and make it run better for my brother. And the only way to learn about buggies and get the best advise its online and i know this because i get alot of help with my radio control cars from online. Everything i know its from people online inside forums.

So guys i need your help to identify the brand and engine of the buggy before i proceed with ordering some new parts and maybe to find its manual online, for both the engine and buggy.

Here are some pics of it. Make sure you scroll to the right to see the whole picture.......I know the buggy its a mess....the pics are all closeups, tomorrow i will also post a picture of the whole buggy.

i dont know why but for some reason the system rotates some of the pictures 90 degrees anticlockwise.

CVT.......I havent figured out yet how to oil this type of CVT. Any help?????

ENGINE.....what type of engine is this, anyone knows the exact model????

WALBRO CARB.....Any info on the carb???? anyone recognises it???

AIR FILTER........I would like to change this, do you think its a good idea, what filter do you recommend?

FRONT BRAKES......What do you think about the brakes? are they any good? Shall i replace them?

Oh i forgot to mention that the brakes dont work properly. They are really soft and only feel hard when you push the brake all the way in and thats when they work.

I would really appreciate it if you could post any useful links for buggies.

Last edited by Mechanicos; 10-27-2012 at 09:56 AM.
Old 10-21-2012, 05:34 PM
Power User

as far as brand ID, post some "overall" pics of the buggy.
The engine is a GY6 150 cc clone of the engine honda developed. the cvt itself doesn't use oil--its a clutch and variator pulley system, both clutch and variator expand/contract changing where the belt rides in the pulleys based on rpm level.
The internal transmission gears section typically takes about 80cc of gear oil most fill ports are right at the tail end of the unit. Tons of info and parts for the GY6 are available, but there are a few oddball versions of it out there as well that aren't as easy to get parts for. Your buggy uses a front strut suspension setup and the rear swingarm uses "dogbone" links -- until a little more is shown, id'ing the brand is a bit tough as many brands are very similar. some parts are swappable, others aren't. some can still be had, others there is no supply.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:53 PM

Default single or double?

welcome to the forum, you've come to the right place. Is this a single or double seater? I see it has a dual chain drive which would lead me to believe its either a blade or dazon but will need better pics to be sure. check to see if there is a id plate on the floorpan.
Old 10-27-2012, 07:58 AM
Lurker

Default Got the pictures

Hey guys i finally got my cousin to take the pictures of the whole buggy and look for those numbers that are below the engine.

Engine number: 157QMJ

And these are the pics. Are you guys now able to help me identify the maker of my buggy and provide me with more details on the engine?

Old 10-28-2012, 10:40 AM
Supporting Vendor

It is either a Blade 150DX or Kinroad GK150. It has the GY6 engine. Slight chance that it could be an off brand but parts are not an issue for it. You can go to the American Sport Works web site and download the engine manual. Their engines are identicle except that they have the internal reverse where as you have the bolt on external rev. unit. But this manual can be used for the engine portion. I can answer any question you might have. These are excellant well built buggies.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:07 AM
Contributor

I say a Kinroad?It has street tires and L plates.What country are you located?
mancoman
Old 10-30-2012, 05:10 AM
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYCARMS View Post
It is either a Blade 150DX or Kinroad GK150. It has the GY6 engine. Slight chance that it could be an off brand but parts are not an issue for it. You can go to the American Sport Works web site and download the engine manual. Their engines are identicle except that they have the internal reverse where as you have the bolt on external rev. unit. But this manual can be used for the engine portion. I can answer any question you might have. These are excellant well built buggies.
Yeah you are right it does look like a kinroad buggy, i havent figured out yet which model it is but most of the parts seam to be identical, but my buggy is probably an old version which may have been discontinued.

I have also found out the engine numbers which are located below the engine that proves that this engine is a GY6.

Engine number: 157QMJ

I was also told that there is another set of numbers on the engine block that will help me to identify what the exact model my engine is. Can you help me out with this? I am not sure what they meant when they said engine block. Do you know where exactly this set of numbers is?

Thanks a lot for your time.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:13 AM
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mancoman View Post
I say a Kinroad?It has street tires and L plates.What country are you located?
mancoman
I am in Cyprus which is located in Europe. Its right underneath Turkey. Its a really small island.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:42 AM
Supporting Vendor

The number you supplied tells the engine model which is the numer needed. The other is the serial number which is not significant. In the States here that looks to be a 2005-2006 year model.Plenty of parts available.

TOM
Old 11-13-2013, 11:20 AM
Lurker

Hello everyone, i have an issue with my brothers buggy but cant figure out whats wrong with it. The problem is that the battery doesnt get charged while the buggy is moving therefore it eventually runs out after a couple times of using the buggy.

Also it seems that the battery runs out quiet quickly, Anyone knows which part on the buggy is used to charge the battery and where it is located?
Old 11-13-2013, 11:36 AM
Supporting Vendor

You need to check the battery voltage with the buggy running. It should be anywhere from 13.8 to 14.8 depending on the batteries state of charge. If under 13 then I would start with the obvious, checking for broken wires or loose connections at the plugins mainly the rectifier and main harness where it plugs into the engine harness if the two part harness. For checking the charging system you will need a volt ohm meter. I would go to the American Sportworks website and download their engine manual for the 7150 model buggy. This will give step by step instructions on how to check the system. Keep in mind though that the battery must be good for the system to charge it.
Old 11-13-2013, 12:08 PM
Lurker

thanks a lot i found the manual for checking the electrical system. so the main component for charging the battery is the generator?
Old 11-13-2013, 12:15 PM
Lurker

This is the link to the manual i have downloaded

http://www.amsportworks.com/pdfs/LUT...al-14589R4.pdf

Last edited by Mechanicos; 11-13-2013 at 12:18 PM.
Old 11-13-2013, 01:07 PM
Supporting Vendor

Your well on your way now but just keep in mind as far as the ignition goes your buggy uses an AC volt CDI where as the ASW uses a DC volt CDI, so don't use their trouble shooting for the ignition.
Old 11-13-2013, 04:12 PM
Lurker

Ok thanks thats good advice.......I have one more question regarding the stator, what is the difference between an 8-pole stator and a 6-pole stator?
Old 11-13-2013, 05:34 PM
Supporting Vendor

The correct answer is 2 poles LOL. An 8 pole will put out more. Usually buggies with turn signals aux lights will run the 8 pole. Like putting a larger alternator on your car.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:11 AM
Lurker

Yeah i guess you are right, 2 poles is the answer LOL. I will need to have a look on what stator my buggy has to replace it with the same (if the stator is the issue) one so i dont have to have the flywheel too
Old 11-14-2013, 09:40 AM
Supporting Vendor

Most likely the buggy has a 6 pole but don't be surprised to find an 11 pole stator. One way to tell is by the rectifier. Does your brothers buggy have one or two pigtails coming off the rectifier. On the two pigtail one plug in will have 3 yellow wires the other plug will have red, green, black. The small rectifier will have black, red white and yellow going to it. The large rectifiers are used with the 8,10,&11 pole stators, the small is used with the 4&6 pole with some later models using the 8 pole.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:41 PM
Lurker

I will start working on the buggy in about a week, i will then let you know about this and probably i will have more questions to ask you. Thanks a lot for your time