BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > Other tech issues

Other tech issues For all other technical issues. Think frame, suspension, steering, brakes, etc

Old 11-13-2011, 07:45 PM
Lurker

Default Jackshaft/Gearing/Ratio HELLPPP

Hi guys, I need all you gokart veteran advice, I am very new to gokarts and been reading some thread and that I think i will have a similer problem with my gokart project with over heating the clutch I just purchase a 10tooth clutch and it will be connected to a 40tooth axle sproket I need to know if this will work with out any problems? Also if i was gonna go with a jackshaft what would be the benefits and best in and out jackshaft sprokets tooth count? Dont realy wonna head to the jackshaft just yet i wonna work with what i got now. One more thing need help in the ratio calculations don't know anything about ratios. All advice will be greatly appreciated

I have a 13hp Honda a 14" tire.....
Old 11-13-2011, 08:49 PM
Super Moderator

What size (weight) is your go kart? if it's anything larger than a small yard kart and it's NOT driven on mostly flat ground I don't know of a centrifical type clutch that's going to survive unless you've got a mega-dollar/racing type one. 13 hp is really big for that type clutch, is your new clutch for a 1" crank shaft?There are many sprocket ratio charts on the internet. Right now your ratio is :4.00 all torque with no speed. Post some pic's it'll help us out. As for a jack shaft- usually used when a chain or belt needs to be re-directed on the kart or there's not a clear run for them.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:37 PM
Lurker

This is the kart i got for free, the motor i don't have a actual picture of it but it is similar to the one attached, got it for $80 and still has the governor. The clutch is a 1" bore 10tooth the axle is a 1"bore 40tooth with #40/41 chain? I don't mind 25mph or less its just for slow trailing with my daughters. May i add this is a budget build i have many metal scraps that i can fabricate i will eventually will turn it into a 2 seater and the most weight that will probably be on it is 300lbs. My main concern with It if i will have any issues with it like the over heating with the engine and clutch.

[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
Old 11-14-2011, 11:21 AM
Super Moderator

It'll work!! 25mph is probably a good guess on top speed with your gearing, you shouldn't have overheating issues with the weight of the kart or your combined weight. Good luck with it!
Old 11-14-2011, 04:53 PM
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalstudman1 View Post
It'll work!! 25mph is probably a good guess on top speed with your gearing, you shouldn't have overheating issues with the weight of the kart or your combined weight. Good luck with it!
Thank you very much really appreciate the help
Old 11-14-2011, 06:36 PM
Lurker

Do you guys know what kind or brand go kart this is?
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 11-23-2011, 09:39 AM
Lurker

Hi guys just had it run on idle for about 2 to 3 minutes and the clutch was to hot to the touch is that normal? And will a jackshaft help on the heating issue? Thanks
Old 11-23-2011, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator

Centrifical/friction clutches run hot-Blueing on the outer parts would indicate too hot. running wide open for several minutes helps cool them down.Have you actually drove it yet? Slow driving and getting on/off the gas a lot-will cause it to stay hot- air moving past it is it's only cooling.
Old 11-23-2011, 04:54 PM
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalstudman1 View Post
Centrifical/friction clutches run hot-Blueing on the outer parts would indicate too hot. running wide open for several minutes helps cool them down.Have you actually drove it yet? Slow driving and getting on/off the gas a lot-will cause it to stay hot- air moving past it is it's only cooling.
Nope haven't ran it yet maybe when i get home gonna mod a tensioner first. Thanks and Happy Thanks Giving in advance for you guys. We are a day ahead. Thanks again