BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > Other tech issues

Other tech issues For all other technical issues. Think frame, suspension, steering, brakes, etc

Old 01-09-2012, 11:09 PM
Lurker

Default Front Hub Question

Ive been looking at the 4/110 hub that BD offers for the 3206. I think they are the same as the Hammerhead 150 hubs. ?? If so I have a set of these in the shed. I would like to put them on my yerf dog which has 5/8 spindles, but I cant find the bearings for them. The inner bearing measures 1.85 inches OD and the outer bearing is 1.35 inches OD and of course they would both need to be 5/8 ID, any ideas? Where could I get these?
The hubs from BD are on back order, and since I already have there front brake kit I am looking for a faster solution
Old 01-10-2012, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator

Do you have the ability to weld?
Old 01-10-2012, 11:15 AM
Lurker

Yes. Im a total rookie at it, but im learning
Old 01-10-2012, 01:20 PM
Super Moderator

Try and find the bolt/spindle for the hubs you want to use- depending on your spindle type, it's pretty easy to replace even if your not a great welder. I assume this is going on a 3206?
Old 01-10-2012, 03:13 PM
Lurker

Yes its a 3206. I bought the HD spindles from BD. Hate to cut them up but I might have to. I did find some bearings that are 1.35 OD and 5/8 ID so that takes care of the outer bearings. The inner bearings are 1.85 OD and 3/4 ID. I did find a bushing that is 5/8 ID and 3/4 OD. Can you put a bushing (steel) inside a bearing?
Old 01-10-2012, 09:44 PM
Super Moderator

Never done it but I can't think of anything that it would hurt, as long as the bushing is a good snug fit, what would actually hold the bushing in the right spot?
You may have to make a sleeve to go from the outer bearing to the inner bearing.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:03 AM
Heavy Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalstudman1 View Post
You may have to make a sleeve to go from the outer bearing to the inner bearing.
Thats how BD adapts the 4/110 hubs they sell to fit the 5/8 axle. Pretty simple and effective but I worry about contaminates getting between the sleeve and axle. Theres no ability for lubrication to get in there. This has the potential for wear real quick. The sleeve can rotate on the axles unless you tighten the outer axle nut to a ridicules level. The hubs can get sloppy with no way to adjust accounting for wear. This could be a problem with front disc brakes as that hub needs to stay true.
I never had much luck with 5/8 axles either but was assured these will hold up. Time will tell!
When the time comes to install these hubs I will either make some allowance for a grease fittings, figure a way to lock the sleeves against the axle so the hub only spins on the bearings or best yet, do away with that sleeve and find a outer bearing to accommodate a 3/4 axle.