BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > Other tech issues

Other tech issues For all other technical issues. Think frame, suspension, steering, brakes, etc

Old 11-15-2011, 01:13 PM
Contributor

Default Tires won't mount?

I got a deal on 2 Kenda Bear Claw 22x12x8 tires. I purchased 2 8" white steel rims from BMI . I took the tires and rims to my friend who does powdercating and had the wheels coated black, he then took them to a powersports shop to get them mounted up. The shop says they can't mount the tires because the rims are wrong.
What did I buy that was wrong? I know the kendas are 6 ply and a little stiff to mount but shouldn't the fit on a a steel rim?

Then all your problems look like nails.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:26 PM
Heavy Contributor

Go to different shop. I bet they were having problems seating the tire on the bead and gave up.
Old 11-16-2011, 01:36 PM
Power User

Unless it's a tire that is specific for a split-rim tube setup, (IDK if such things even exist) or your rims are too narrow for a 12 wide tire. Otherwise, same comment as above, or go to auto parts or tractor supply store and buy a tire iron and DIY them. Best 10-15 bucks I ever spent. Soap the beads and have at them, not all that hard to do.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:48 PM
Contributor

rim is 8 x 7. Kenda chart recommends this rim. They couldn't get the second bead over the rim lip. they ruined the powdercoating and my buddy had to strip and recoat.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:57 PM
Heavy Contributor

I'm willing to bet they tried to mount the tire from the wrong side of the wheel. On most any wheel there is an indented section normally on the narrow side of a staggered offset wheel close to the center section. Once the first bead is set over the rim it needs to drop into this indented area in order to allow enough slack for the second bead to pop over the rim. Trying to set a tire from the wrong side of the wheel stretches the bead too much, ruins the tire and beats the rim edges.
Get yourself a set of tire spoons from a cycle dealer. you will be able to mount/remove any tire you have without fuss or the hassel of dealing with the problem you just experience.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg off set.jpg (68.5 KB, 12 views)
Old 11-18-2011, 05:53 AM
Contributor

Yeah, thats what I was thinking. Around here a lot of rich kids start businesses but don't have the background or experience to go beyond the cookie cutter way of doing things.

I sell the tire spoons on my tool site so i'll get a set shipped in.
Thanks!

Old 11-18-2011, 08:45 AM
Contributor

back in da day we used to run 15x10" rims with a low profile tires and the only way to seat them was pop to them on the beads by igniting either as air is beeing pumped in. ya it is stupid and dangerus but we didnt care at the time.
Old 11-20-2011, 05:42 PM
Power User

just put the7-wides on my 8-wide rims, got one with just air pressure/compressor, to get the other to seat I had to use a little brakeKleen (not as explosive as ether ...) and the fireplace lighter ...
Old 12-26-2011, 11:50 PM
Lite Contributor

Sometimes putting a ratchet strap around the circumference of the tire will push the beads out enough to get a seal while the air is going in, then you can release the strap once it is airing up. Used this little trick for years and it works most of the time but not near as much fun as flammable liquids squirted in the tire and ignited.
Old 12-27-2011, 12:22 AM
Lite Contributor

spoons, ratchet strap, and a little grease (just enough to help set on the lip) on the bead works for me.
Proud member of the Black River QC Team
Old 12-27-2011, 07:17 AM
Power User

yep, that's a good trick--if no ratchet straps, tie a loop in one end of a piece of rope and feed the rope around the tire and pull it tight through the loop.
Old 12-30-2011, 12:44 AM
Supporting Vendor

Some tires are a bugger to mount especially if 6 ply, since the sidewalls don't flex as much. Sounds like they didn't know what they were doing. As the others said get you some spoons and mount them yourself.

TOM
Old 01-21-2012, 10:57 AM
Contributor

Well round 2 for mounting these tires. They are 6ply and stiff as hell! I can get the first bead on but can't get the tire to compress enough to start the second bead. I was thinking of getting the Harbor freight mini tire changer but don't know if it will handle the 6 ply tire.

Old 01-21-2012, 11:17 AM
Power User

I've found that i can get the difficult ones to go by pulling the schrader valve, putting the tire against a wall, one knee into one side, and push down on the top so that all "sides" are getting forced inwards at the center of the tread. The real trick is whether or not they'll stay on the seat area long enough to get the valve back in after they've popped in place. That's the time you really want a helper on standby.
Old 01-21-2012, 02:54 PM
Supporting Vendor

You will need 2 tire iron's. After getting the second bead started over the rim and holding that iron start to move next section of bead over rim with second iron. While putting your foot over bead keeping it from poping up and leaving the second iron in place, pull the first iron and move the next section of bead over the rim. You must keep a foot on the tire along with one iron to keep tire from coming up on beginning section. Several things are needed. 2 irons, soapy water mix for the bead, good selection of cusswords with an ocasional new one to throw in so be creative, lots of patience. When you get enough of the bead over the rim to where it doesn't pop up you will need to use your foot to push down as far as possible opposite of unseated bead then use iron to move remaining bead over rim. Towards the end you will have to take really small bites when moving bead over rim. Hope this will make some sence to you for I had never thought of a way to explain, just experiance has tought me how to do it. The manual changers from HF you spoke of will not help you, I have one so I know. The air changers similar to what all tire shops have are whats necessary except for atv wheels you have a smaller machine designed for atv wheels or the large ones will require adapters. I put these tires on all the time without no problems, but still struggle with removing them if they have been on for many years. Once the tire is on the rim the next challenge is seating of the bead. When you get to this point make sure you lube both tire beads then air up with the valve stem removed. Caution, do not go much over the max pressure located on side of tire for mounting, for I have had a few blow and it does hurt badly if your lucky. When you get the bead seated remove the air and let the tire deflate entirely then repeat the last step again. This will insure the bead is completely seated, thus eliminating tire wobble or total deflation when sidewall hits something. You should look at the entite beads making sure they look uniform to the rim. Once the bead is properly seated put your valve stem in and inflate to proper pressure. Hope this helped.

TOM
Old 01-21-2012, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator

Great explaination Tom- I have a much harder time getting the beads broke without damage than mounting them. I have a selection of pry bars (different widths,thicknesses and angles)that I rounded the tips on to be able to get the smaller bites as the tire is almost on. Trying not to tear the bead is the tricky part while trying to keep the balance of the tire in the small zone of the rim. The soapy water is so important for all phases of the tire mounting/dismounting as Tom said.
Good luck- as I've had to walk away many times and try again before achieving success. I keep a container close by with my spare colorful language stored, just incase walking away doesn't feel satisfying!!
Old 01-21-2012, 04:48 PM
Supporting Vendor

I dread breaking down 6 ply when they have been on for years. In about 2004 I had to replace the rear tires on my 86 250sx which were 6 ply. I ended up taking them to my neighhbors shop to try his tire machine but had no luck. I brought them back home and started to cut them off with the die grinder. Well all worked well until I got to the beads. Tried everything but still could not cut them or break them, so I done the unthinkable. I had a trash pile I put the rears in then doused with some gas and lit them up. At last I had the tires off. Wire brushed the wheels off washed and painted them than mounted the new tires.

TOM
Old 01-22-2012, 07:01 PM
Contributor

One of these tires was shipped to me compressed with the beads touching. Any ideas on how to get them apart?

Old 01-22-2012, 07:14 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyonsperf View Post
One of these tires was shipped to me compressed with the beads touching. Any ideas on how to get them apart?
If you got the BMI ones, they suggest a tube to get it right. Or, for 10$ I'd go up the street and have a tire shop mount it, may save some busted knuckles.

Last edited by satoys; 01-22-2012 at 07:16 PM. Reason: more
Old 01-22-2012, 07:39 PM
Contributor

No I got them off ebay. But I will try using a tube to spread it open.

Old 01-22-2012, 10:03 PM
Supporting Vendor

If you have a heat gun or some sort of shop heater, put tires in the heat first one side down then flop tire over. Whilr doing this you can wedge something to spread the tire .

TOM
Old 02-04-2012, 07:53 PM
Contributor

Update.
I got one tire mounted up by bolting it to my tube bender stand. Then I clamped a vice grip to the rim and twisted the first bead onto the rim. Then I used two tire spoons and two bessy clamps to wrangle it on the rim. Quite the workout!

I am still fighting with the other tire. Can't get the beads apart. I wedged it open enough to get a tire tube in but then the tube exploded!

Finally decided to mount it on the rim and then try to separate the beads. No Dice.

Any ideas?

Old 02-05-2012, 01:57 AM

Have you tried the ratchet strap?

Cinching the tire down the center usually pushes the sides out.
Old 02-05-2012, 06:09 AM
Heavy Contributor

I'm feelin ya! These tires are really giving you a hard time. They can be that way sometimes. They are stacked, piled up, squashed in the back of some truck for who knows how long. The worst are the ones that come to you cinched together with pallet straps. Unfortunately the only way is to basically muscle them on, one way or another. Tightening a ratchet strap around the center really helps sometimes. Warming the tires up gives them a little more flexibility. I have brought them into the house and set them over a heat duct for a day or so with some wood block spacers, spreading the beads apart. The heat relaxes the rubber, helping them to be a little more pliable to work with. My son learned a undesirable string of vocabulary words watching me mount tires
Old 02-05-2012, 08:15 AM
Contributor

Yeah the words were flying! The problem is that only one side is pushed in. But being 6 ply they are stiff as a bitch.
Gonna demount it today and put it near the wood stove.

Old 02-05-2012, 09:56 AM
Supporting Vendor

When airing up make sure the valve stem is removes, this will give you more much needed air volume for seating the bead. Also when putting by heat wedge the beads apart using whatever, I use short pieces of 2x4 wedged between the beads spreading them beyond their normal relaxed position.

TOM