BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > Other tech issues

Other tech issues For all other technical issues. Think frame, suspension, steering, brakes, etc

Old 02-21-2012, 07:39 AM
Contributor

Default how much slop

I also have noticed my rear hubs on the crossfire 150 have alittle slop in them , how much if any should the rear hubs move.
When you shake the buggy back and forth , meaning left to right , you can hear and see the hubs move about 1/4 of a inch or less !
Is this common or no ?
Just woundering if i should save up for new rear hubs or just try to tighten them down ?
Old 02-21-2012, 07:43 AM
Contributor

I am not sure how common it is but our Yerf does the same thing. I just assumed it was from many years of abuse.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:56 AM
Contributor

Im triing to be proactive on this. After welding everything i can find on the frame to lesson noise , the only thing i have left that makes a sound beside the motor is the rear hubs !
Old 02-21-2012, 08:15 AM
Power User

on the 3203s, the rear axles are keyed and there's a lot of "rotational" slop--probably 5-10 degrees. side-to-side mine was able to be very minimal because of the locknut. I take it your axle is splined?You should be able to tighten up the locknut to eliminate side-to-side play--it may need a bit of shimming. The end of the hub can wear away or mushroom a bit, opening up the gap to the point that tightening the nut allthe way does nothing. if it's a castle nut with cotter pin, you'll have to play around (no pun intended) with different thickness shims to get the notches to line up with the hole in the axle.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:17 AM
Contributor

will try that . Thanks
Old 02-21-2012, 02:26 PM
Heavy Contributor

You need to get the slop out of the hub before you strip the splines. Since the axle nut is a castle, you may need to add a washer to get the hole lined up after torquing.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:07 PM
Contributor

I pulled the hub to see the splines and the inside of the hub for wear !
The inside of the hub already hits the shaft under normal tighting. So washers will not help ! I could take some metal off the inside of the hub to get it to move further onto the good meat of the splines thatt are still left . Thats the only option i can see without having to go buy a new drive akle and rear hubs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 102_3907.jpg (88.1 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 102_3902.jpg (86.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 102_3903.jpg (85.9 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 102_3904.jpg (86.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 102_3905.jpg (85.7 KB, 8 views)
Old 02-21-2012, 04:32 PM

Great question! I was woondering this same thing.

My Yerf too has alot of slop on the hubs. I'd better see if i can save them before they strip.

Thanks again guys.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:36 PM
Heavy Contributor

It was run loose for too long. You may be able to make some temporary repairs to reduce wobble, but I would start putting money away for a replacement. The splines on the hub and axle show wear that will only get worse with use.

You may be able to weld sleeves on the inside of the hubs that will support them on the axle. The splines will still eventually fail, but they may last longer without additional movement. OR weld the hubs to the axle since you know both have to be replaced eventually (forget about bearing or sprocket changes).

Last edited by GX150; 02-21-2012 at 04:40 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:39 PM
Contributor

I know im going to have to buy a new axel and hubs , For both crossfires , but i think by taking some metal off the inside of the hub i can squeeze alittle more life out of them , no harm in it have to buy new anyways!
Old 02-21-2012, 05:33 PM
Contributor

I was given two choices to try from a mechanic i know that also owns a local machine shop. He just came down to look at what i was messing with !
First because it is a spline based shaft he sugested i just flip the hub around the other direction ! That did work , All the slop was gone and it was nice and tight after just one run , so i can not speak for the longivty of this yet !
On the second buggy i decided to try to remove some metal off the inside of the hub were it is stop by the axel itself. After grinding it down a few times and checking for fit i took about just under 1/4 inch all total off it. Remonted both of them and nice and tight once again. We took them for a 2 mile romp on trails and the streets . After returning home still no play , both nice and tight ! So i think i put off the hub and axel devil for alittle while anyway !
Old 02-21-2012, 11:22 PM
Heavy Contributor

good stuff! glad you got it all figured out. I just had my wheels off the other day and didn't really check to see if mine were loose are not (had other things on my mind). I may want to check them pretty soon.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:13 PM
Contributor

Just Made a video of what i did with my Hubs !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmjR8muwMk8
Old 02-23-2012, 07:48 AM
Contributor

So we did a 2 hour run yesterday in both buggies , Ran them hard on the back trails . My son Dylan was keeping up well and even snuck by me a few times on the strights.
I check the slop in the hubs at the end of the runs and they are doing fine still.
I still need to order the larger sprocket , Want more low end , we can still spin the tires but just not enough for long enough to corner as well as we want in some of the real tight turns we have.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:50 AM
Power User

good vid I thought you just had in-out play, that was pretty bad! Nice fix, when you do replace the axles, you may want to look into having the spline area heat-treated. (they probably already are, but having a full time facility do it would probably improve them) I like how the axles have a nice beefy carrier bearing setup on those. When it comes to the yerf rims, flipping doesn't change anything, the halves are equal.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:20 PM
Contributor

Thanks X-bird. Im playing around with the camera to do more videos on things that have work for my buggies , Took your advise and I am learning on windows live movie maker !
Easy to use . My son wants a Video of his buggy build. So we will play around with that some. The crossfires are the first manufatured buggies ive own. Built Lots of go carts and other rigs when i lived up north but now I have more land to play with down here in Florida its time to get dirty again.
Just a side note every time my son and I are working in the shop and cant find a tool , he blames you ! He wants his 14 mil socket back he swears you have it !
Old 02-23-2012, 02:56 PM
Power User

he's learning ...did you tell him to check his back pocket ... (my favorite missing phillips head location)
You gotta lay this in on the background audio ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q357cCcTYf8
Old 02-23-2012, 02:59 PM
Contributor

great idea , Will do !
He wants to try welding today ! I need someone to keep a look out , Let me know if MOMMA is coming !