BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > Other tech issues

Other tech issues For all other technical issues. Think frame, suspension, steering, brakes, etc

Old 06-18-2011, 11:22 AM
Lurker

Default Need clutch belt for go kart

My husband bought a go-kart from some guy he met and doesn't know the make, model and there's no manual to it. There is a make and model on the motor with a serial number. He needs a clutch belt which he says is approximately 26". Powered by a bridge and stratton 5hp motor. I don't know how to find this belt. He has gone to every store around us and nobody has one. PLEASE HELP, this was a birthday gift for our daughter and she can't drive it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg buggy.jpg (7.2 KB, 7 views)
Old 06-18-2011, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator

Can you try to post a larger pic?Can't see enough to know what it is.Try this link for info on how to measure and the type belt needed http://www.*****************/tcbelts.htm
Old 06-18-2011, 03:27 PM
Lurker

Here is a pic of where I need the belt to go....my husband says the belt needs to be about 5/8" x 26" and I also put another pic of the whole thing. Thanks for your help
Attached Images
File Type: jpg buggy 001.jpg (57.6 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg buggy 002.jpg (53.1 KB, 13 views)
Old 06-18-2011, 03:54 PM
Super Moderator

Thanx for the bigger pics.The belt will be 3/4"-7/8" wide,5/8" would be when it's wore out!!! It appears you have a comet/or similar 30 series CVT,asymmetrical type belt system. You need to measure at the clutch shaft (part on the left or on the crank shaft of engine) to the outer rim of the driven unit. There should only be a small amount of play at the clutch (bottom of the pulleys).This is assuming you couldn't get the measurements from the link I gave you.

Last edited by metalstudman1; 06-18-2011 at 03:56 PM.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:10 AM
Lurker

Okay, so he measured from center to center and got 6 5/8", does that sound right? He also measured the width and got 1 1/4" is that right? I checked out the link you gave me and I'm still not sure which belt to get. Does the brand matter? Can we just get the right size no matter what type of buggy it is? Thanks so much for taking the time to help me out
Old 06-19-2011, 02:41 PM
Super Moderator

Let's get this all the facts verified- is the clutch pulley almost flat next to the engine or V shaped on both halfs. Measure the driven unit -is it a 6" or 7" (part with the chain sprocket) A belt doesn't care who made the kart and the brand isn't critical either. Getting the right (or very close) length and width is all you need. The 1-1/4" width sounds right for the space between the pulleys on the driven- you can see the rust marks showing that the belt sat down from the top of the pulleys. 7/8" width is my preference when available. Get the questions verified and we'll help find a belt that should work. The link I gave you isn't the only source for a belt- it has a good chart with a lot of choices and helps you understand the parts/mechanics of the CVT.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:24 PM
Lurker

Okay, it's V shaped, not flat and he still insists its 6 5/8". Should we get the
7" one or will it have too much slack?
Old 06-19-2011, 09:52 PM
Super Moderator

I don't doubt the 6-5/8" center to center measurement. I scaled the photo and it appears the driven is a 6",the chart shows the only belt even close is-Symmetrical series 20 ("V" pulley)with a 6" driven is a #203578A.I would suggest taking the number of the belt from the chart and do a search for a better price as I've found belts under $20. before. Good luck and hope she get's to drive soon.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:11 AM
Lurker

Thanks so much!