BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > Other tech issues

Other tech issues For all other technical issues. Think frame, suspension, steering, brakes, etc

Old 09-18-2011, 07:35 PM
Lurker

Default Stage I hop up kit problems

Choke hookup.jpg

Fuel pump.jpg

Throttle Linkage.jpg

My son and I just installed a Stage I kit on a honda 6.5 hp clone engine. I spent several hours installing the parts and had to make numerous modifications just to get it all to fit. The bottom line is my son and are disappointed we can not get it to run. It will not pull any fuel. T he engine has ALWAYS started. I have fuel in the float bowl so I assume the fuel is gettiing in, but it was not pulling on its own. I do get spark. I had to go the way of gravity to feed the carb. I just do not see how the mechanical fuel pump is supposed to work. If someone can comment after loking at my pics I would love to hear what others have to say. Thanks!

Last edited by banjoman; 09-18-2011 at 07:41 PM. Reason: typos
Old 09-19-2011, 11:36 PM
Super Moderator

What parts are involved in a Stage 1? First off- fuel pump only works when engine is running- it works off the crankcase pressure, pulses through the valve cover to push the fuel. Are you able to see the butterfly on the carb while you're trying to crank it to verify that the choke position is correct (closed airway) Verify gas on/off valve is open. Did you remove the govenor? If so starting will be twice as hard.Why is the pivot bolt for the throttle arm so loose?Where's your fuel filter?!!! try filling the fuel lines manually at first to remove the air and let the suction process work.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:16 PM
Lurker

The parts are: new pipe & muffler, new air filter, fuel pump, mounting plate, chain guard, fuel line. I got the engine running by sucking on the line a bit to move it closer to the fuel pump. I realized that after making one change, another change develops. Now it runs with an almost closed choke, but it was never open that much before anyway. Yes, governor was removed. I just got the fuel filter. The linkage was lose as I was just mocking things up in that pic. I think I got things figured out now but I did have to raise engine so the air filter would clear the rear slick. I used a spacer and some washers. Not the best set up, but I hear they make an engine mount plate? I will keep looking. Thanks for your response.
Old 01-29-2012, 01:43 PM
Lurker

hey -just got one these beauties n as soon as it starts it dies. where is the choke? gotta be a choke on this thing. Any help would be appreciated
Old 01-29-2012, 07:26 PM
Super Moderator

In the pics above -his is the white lever (looks like and arrow)over the fuel on/pff valve in pic #1
Old 01-30-2012, 12:11 PM
Lurker

what i have is a Helix 150cc go kart and can start it but it wont stay running-why. is it the choke-the engine is Manco. Can someone help????

thanks,
billy
Old 01-30-2012, 12:15 PM
Lurker

i just got a Helix 150cc and i can start it but it won't stay running. It has a Manco engine and i cant find the choke.
Any help would be appreciated!!!
Thanks,
Billy
Old 01-30-2012, 01:25 PM
Power User

can you post a picture of it ....
Old 01-30-2012, 10:07 PM
Lite Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjoman View Post
The parts are: new pipe & muffler, new air filter, fuel pump, mounting plate, chain guard, fuel line. I got the engine running by sucking on the line a bit to move it closer to the fuel pump. I realized that after making one change, another change develops. Now it runs with an almost closed choke, but it was never open that much before anyway. Yes, governor was removed. I just got the fuel filter. The linkage was lose as I was just mocking things up in that pic. I think I got things figured out now but I did have to raise engine so the air filter would clear the rear slick. I used a spacer and some washers. Not the best set up, but I hear they make an engine mount plate? I will keep looking. Thanks for your response.
You can get and angled engine mount for that engine that should help with your tire clearance issue, almost every race kart utilizes one for the exact reason you have. Try ************* they should have one.

Metalstudman is spot on recommending filling the fuel lines fully before trying to start/run the engine. The pulse from the crankcase is fairly weak and will have a hard time pushing/pulling fuel in air filled fuel lines.