BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > Other tech issues

Other tech issues For all other technical issues. Think frame, suspension, steering, brakes, etc

Old 01-06-2012, 09:07 AM
Contributor

Default Spiderbox front end upgrade options

Now that I'm drivable (brake posts) I've started thinking about how/if to upgrade the front tires. I've been reading everything I can find, and think this is the upgrade path I should take. But, before I start spending money, I want y'alls advice. The statements below are based on all I've read - please correct me if wrong!
I've got a generation 2 front end (uneven a-arms and silver spindles).
I want to put on bigger tires for ground clearance and better handling, but I drive (oops, I meant to say my grandsons) mostly on a dirt track, no jumping, rocks, etc. I will get on sand from time to time when the river is dry.
What it think the plan should be:
1. Add hubs to front, either the 4/110 from BD (IF they ever have them in stock) or add 4/4 inch hubs, available almost anywhere, and maybe more tire options, even golf cart tires.
2. Get new BD HD spindles and get longer bolt, then add hubs, and since the bigger tires might put more stress on the front end, prevent failures.

However, now the problem.... if i got with #2, should I change to even a-arms first ? any advantage, or am I just fine with uneven on the dirt track ? I've been reading a lot, but no "definitive" answer. This is where I want someone to say, yes, or no, based on when they did it. (yes, I want to benefit from your experience and maybe save me money!)

The ball joints seem very tight now, and I know I will have to replace them eventually, but holding that off until later, as well as the reinforced front and a-arms.

Pictures of stock below, spindle spaces slid out to show they are not welded on. Note: I've added some 11" shocks I had left over from another project, seem to work ok.

Your experiences please ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0077.jpg (28.5 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0078.jpg (31.7 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0079.jpg (35.9 KB, 49 views)
Old 01-06-2012, 09:23 AM
Power User

The unevens cause the tire camber to change during suspension movement. (the wheels angle inwards at the top of the tire when the suspension compresses. for your described riding, i don't think it's as much of an issue as it is for others riding on rougher terrain. The uneven setup is still much better than the 3203s single arm kingpin setup.

Golf cart rims are 4x4, 8 inch diameter. A lot of china mini ATV (50-90cc) use 8-in dia. tires, so there is a good cheap used supply. I got a pair for $20.

Finding 4x4 hubs is kind of hit or miss, mostly trailer hubs at Tractor Supply etc. i bought used golf cart hubs, which need a 1 in or 1-1/8 diameter spindle--it's a big boy--but you will never have to worry about bending/breaking it unless your welds fail. I got mine with the spindles included for $40/pair used. They're pretty much universal through the cart brands.

If you go that route and can't find any locally (scrap yard, golf courses etc) buggiesgonewild.com is where the golf cart modders hang out and they have a good parts for sale area. I have rims with or without tires available. Tires are 18s, i have a thread in the parts for sale with prices etc.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:56 AM
Contributor

Thanks x-bird ! Exactly what I was looking for...
The grandkids and even my son-in-law are driving the same dirt track and having a blast on my 3203, so that is good to know.
Some of my other toys in the "fleet" are ez-go's so that is why I mentioned golf carts, I have some spare tires/rims I thought about trying (on the back as well). I've surfing over at Buggies Unlimited and Everything Carts for years, and even thinking long range about some of those really cool rims and tires they sell. I could get double duty out of them on both the golf cart and go kart ! (budget is only thing stopping me )
Did not know that about the mini ATV's, I'd been looking at the bigger ones, good to know !
I've got a golf cart dealer up the street who has a big pile of "scrap" I've bought off of before, I'll go see what he has.