BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > Other tech issues

Other tech issues For all other technical issues. Think frame, suspension, steering, brakes, etc

Old 06-30-2010, 08:55 PM
Lurker

Default Heim joint kit

I need someones advice on this kit.Im not sure if these are strong enough to do that ball joint mod Ckau and Rarerat did. I thought the kit looked pretty good for $19.95.http://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/PROD/Kit216 I have a Yerf Dog 32092 that I've been working on for a few months now.
Old 07-01-2010, 01:13 AM
Super Moderator

I'll throw out an opinion- It's a fair price for 4 heims and 12mm is just under 3/8".There isn't any nuts (left hand thread may be hard to find) and doesn't tell you the thread count - can you find a bung for whatever the thread count is? No data on load capacity and this site sells parts for light wieght stuff. I wouldn't buy them unless you can get more info. off the site.
I'm definitely doing this upgrade that Ckau so nicely provided as a fix for the ball joints. I've done some serious research for loads and sizing. I think Ckau wanted to use a larger heim as I would have but as it turns out the bung for a 1/2" heim is much larger than the tube on the A-arm, so 3/8" is appropriate and capacities range from 7,600lbs to 26,000lbs.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:40 AM
Contributor

The Heims I used were 3/8 and came with the jam nuts for about the same price. Metalstudman1 is right about the bungs, they are very hard to find and I ended up using 3/8 couplers from a hardware store because I couldn't even find the right size tubing locally to make my own bungs. I also agree about the strength, the Heims I used were rated at 5521 load capacity. IMHO it would be better to install a heim that may be stronger than you need than find out what you installed was to weak.

Anyway, I hope this helps & congrats on doing the upgrade, you wont be sorry.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:18 PM
Contributor

Look up some sand rail parts sites like kartek or dans performance. Then you can get a idea of a good heim. Not just strength but dust and wear and tear
Old 07-02-2010, 02:56 PM
Lurker

I thought the same thing about the site not giving enough information. Were I live people are really in to sprint cars and this guy told me this sprint car shop in Fresno would carry heim joints. Rarerat you got your heim joints off ebay right.
Old 07-02-2010, 03:31 PM
Heavy Contributor

here you go. these will work. i 'm about 99% sure these are the same as I use.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4-ASR...mZ290444326605

they are tuff enough. I hit another buggy broadside at speed and didn't break the heims,.... everything else but not the heims.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a 002.jpg (78.6 KB, 42 views)
Old 07-02-2010, 06:25 PM
Lurker

That's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks
Old 07-04-2010, 10:30 PM
Contributor

Socal

Yes, I bought mine on ebay also but they were 3/8
Old 07-05-2010, 06:23 AM
Contributor

1/2" minimum on suspension components, 5/8" x 1/2 or 3/4 x 5/8 in some cases.

3/8" and 1/4" throttle and shift linkages.

3/8" for mechanical brake linkages.

I have bought from ebay before, but prefer established store fronts for hardware like this. Chuck sent me an excellent link the other day, where I'll be switching my business too, simply because he understand the needs of builder and fabricators, and will sell in 'ONE' piece quantities. VERY helpful to us fabricator experimenters, that sometimes will order just one, to measure, size, etc, then intentionall break, just to see if it fits our needs. Thanks Chuckie, ya done me good again.
Old 07-05-2010, 08:29 AM
Contributor

I try. I read up on things then go find places to price from. Then I save the page for the future.