BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > Other tech issues

Other tech issues For all other technical issues. Think frame, suspension, steering, brakes, etc

Old 07-04-2010, 10:58 PM
Lurker

Default Has anyone made their own stand offs or bought them somewhere?

I was wanting to buy a set of stand offs from Buggy Depot but they are out of stock and customer service said it could be a couple months before they are back in.....ouch. I have upgraded the shocks and spindles on my yerf dog spiderbox and I am having some geometry problems with the tie rods. Although the tie rod ends are connected, they are extremely maxed out and it is tougher than before to turn and I don't want to ruin them.

Has anyone bought some from somewhere else or somehow made their own without welding or any other work that would require tools that I probably don't have access to? I live in MN so I have access to Fleet Farm, Menards, ACE hardware or I could easily order something online.

Thanks for the help!
Old 07-05-2010, 06:35 AM
Contributor

Stand-offs can be made as simply as cutting 2 lengths of HEAVY wall tubing, a couple of washers, and some longer bolts. And I don't mean water pipe...heavy wall tubing is 1/4" > 3/8" thick, and most is specila order from on-line metal companies... BUT at least most will sell as little as 1 foot lengths.

7/8" tubing O.D x 3/8" I.D. = .250 thickness, in reasonable lengths, about 1" long, with a grade 8 bolt....home free.
Old 07-05-2010, 09:28 AM
Lurker

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kliff View Post
Stand-offs can be made as simply as cutting 2 lengths of HEAVY wall tubing, a couple of washers, and some longer bolts. And I don't mean water pipe...heavy wall tubing is 1/4" > 3/8" thick, and most is specila order from on-line metal companies... BUT at least most will sell as little as 1 foot lengths.

7/8" tubing O.D x 3/8" I.D. = .250 thickness, in reasonable lengths, about 1" long, with a grade 8 bolt....home free.

Kliff,

Thanks for the reply. I get what you are saying with the tubing/spacer idea. However, I need it for the tie rod ends connecting to the spindle. So, I guess I really need a male-to-female standoff that is about 1-1 1/2" tall? Since it is the tie rod end, I can't simply use a new bolt that is longer.

Maybe I am missing what you are saying? Please correct me if I am wrong.

Open to any other ideas that are out there!
Old 07-05-2010, 02:04 PM
Heavy Contributor

here's what I did, A sleave with a 3/8 inner dia, , 5/8 outer dia . drilled a large nut for the sleave to slip in, welded the two together. the sleave is cut to the proper length. The nut serves as a strong base against the spindle tab. Used an allen head through bolt.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0515 001.jpg (96.2 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg 0515 003.jpg (87.7 KB, 45 views)
Old 07-05-2010, 02:12 PM
Heavy Contributor

Admend: The sleave cannot be any larger dia. than the flat mounting surface around the through bolt hole on the heim ball. otherwise you will get binding. In my case. I used a 3/8 heim with a mounting surface of 5/8
Old 07-05-2010, 02:35 PM
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckau View Post
Admend: The sleave cannot be any larger dia. than the flat mounting surface around the through bolt hole on the heim ball. otherwise you will get binding. In my case. I used a 3/8 heim with a mounting surface of 5/8
Thanks for the idea ckau....I see that you are definitely an innovator on the yerf dog from the past posts that I have read about your heim changes. I unfortunately just purchased new ball joints and tie rod ends from bd and I don't weld so I am a little stock with what is available.

From the sounds of it, I will have to wait for BD to get the standoffs in stock unless someone else has found similar ones somewhere else?