BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Old 12-15-2011, 09:25 AM
Lite Contributor

Default Rear Axle Width to have even tires

Hi, Im still working on getting my yerf dog front suspension together, waiting on couple answers from fellas on here about Heim Joint angle when installing the weld bungs into the arms. My question is what width rear axle will I need for the rear tires to be even with the front tires when all said and done. I am using the Douglas rims 8 inch wide with 3x5 offset on the rear and Douglas 7 inch wide mounted center on the front from BMI karts. I have some time coming up after next week and I would like to order a 1 inch live axle so I will have all the parts that I need while I am off to get the chassis done. Again appreciate all the help that I am getting on here, thanks Robert
Old 12-17-2011, 08:02 AM
Heavy Contributor

With my 3206 front suspension system and heim conversion I use a 42" long rear axle. Front wheels 7" wide with even offsets, 3.5x3.5 and rear wheel 9" wide with a 3 inside 6 outside offset puts the track at a almost even 52" wide front and back. This measument is off the rims, tire width will vary the measurment. The widths can be adjusted slightly by using shims behind the front and rear hubs. The rim choice you choose is a good combination. a narrower rear width will aid in steering.