BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Old 04-15-2012, 09:18 PM
Lurker

Default Basic Buggie Questions

I am not a true newbie to off road buggies, but I have been out of it for quite awhile and have not kept up with the newer machines & manufacturers.

Maybe a long winded explanation so please be patient.

My wife and I are now empty nesters. We used to camp and hike a lot when the kids were small but we got out of the habit when they hit high school. We are wanting to get back into it but those hills seem a lot steeper than they did 10-15 years ago.

What I want is a two seater buggy with a full roll cage (no “open” ATV). The idea is for us both to ride up to the top of the mountain with the two of us, a small cooler, and my not so often used lately mountain bicycle. She would then drive down and I would ride the bike back down. Max Speed does not matter, just that it can get us up there and clear small obstacles. So with all of this I am estimating a max load of 500 lbs.

I have been looking for used ones but most of the sellers don't have an idea of the make/model, much less the ratings. I am seeing either a lot of junk, small ones, and then you move up into the Razors, which are way too expensive for what I want to do right now.

The other thing is that I know the US Forest Service has implemented some requirements on OHV. But I have been unable to find a brochure on line.

I am not afraid of a cart that needs a little work but I do not want to have to build or rebuild one. (The previous experience was ASME Mini Baja) I have also see that there is a lot of foreign garbage out there and you really take your chances with spare parts. I would like to stay away from that. Four wheel drive is not a requirement, and is actually a bit of something to avoid – just more things to break and to have to fix.

So here are my questions:

Can someone point me to a USDS guide for OHV requirements?

What exists that is between the two seater teenager back yard cart and the Razor?

Again, sorry for the long winded story.

Any help is Greatly appreciated!

Michael
Old 04-16-2012, 11:32 PM
Contributor

I started my buggy buying shortly after my last kid left for college! So I went through the same questions and problems as you. To buy Chinese or not is the question? Spare parts are an issue, I did wait several months for a boat to come in with my replacement clutch. Still waiting for my brake pads. But my budget dictated I was going to buy a chinese cart, so I looked for one that had the most options and that I could put a motorcycle engine into, if I could not get replacement parts.

We ended up first buying a Hammer Head 250ss buggy second hand because it was the right size's, 50" wide and under 1000lb's. This allows you to go anywhere a 4 wheeler can go. I am certain that there are better buggies out there, but for an investment of $2300.00 we got a go anywhere buggy that has reasonable power above 7000' and can haul 400lb of people and about 70lb's of gear. While being able to climb well and maintain a flat ground max speed (loaded) of about 25-28mph. Empty it will hit over 50mph with a 120lb kid driving! Also this buggy will fit in the back of a short box pickup, so it is my favorite so far.

We also purchased a Dazon 250 and it is not even close to the HammerHead. Even though it has the same engine on it. Gearing is a lot lower, so it climbs better, but it can not haul the same weight and has a top speed of about 35 mph, downhill!

I like the RZR, but do not like the prices. I am not sure what we will be replacing them with yet, maybe a Joyner 1100? Maybe nothing one kid has moved back in and the other is thinking about it?

I do not know about the guide you are talking about, but would be interested in seeing one, if you find it.