BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Old 08-22-2013, 02:57 AM
Lite Contributor

Default New member looking for help

I currently have 3 different buggies that I have purchased used recently that I would like owner manuals, servive manuals, etc for if possible. (1) 2007 SunL 150cc, (2) Baja Dune 150 (frame style with the fully adjustable upper & lower front control arms), (3) Manco XTK 713E (with the 14 1/2 hp Subaru engine). I would appreciate anything anyone out there may have to share. I also have a few issues / questions about the SunL 150cc buggie. Out of the blue it is not charging the battery and cannot carry any lights at all now, and it draws everything out of the battery until it quits. A local shop tells me that there should be a small electrical item just outside of the main electric box but I don't see anything or where anything may have been mounted externally. Unfortunately the guy that owned it before me removed all of the lights, horn, etc and gutted all of the wiring for them so I have been trying to get it back to where it should be. Also, on the same buggie it lurches speratically, and dies speratically. When it dies it's while I am driving it, then after cranking it for a while it starts back up and away I go. It does this even on smooth surface roads. Any suggestions for these issues?
Old 08-22-2013, 11:38 AM
Heavy Contributor

The local shop is talking about the" regulator" also check for air leaks around the carb before anything. These are common basic things.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:27 PM

as far as it running a little while then lurches and dies then after cranking for a while it cranks back up, sounds like it is burning the gas out of the carb, and dieing down till it fills the carb back up. sounds like the carb. needs cleaning.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:33 PM

as far as the one with the missing parts , if you can put some pics on here of it. that would help us a lot to help figure out what you may be missing.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:34 PM

and oh yeahhhhhhhhhhhh welcome to the club. LOL
Old 08-22-2013, 08:22 PM
Heavy Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittletstv View Post
Also, on the same buggie it lurches speratically, and dies speratically. When it dies it's while I am driving it, then after cranking it for a while it starts back up and away I go. It does this even on smooth surface roads. Any suggestions for these issues?
your burning fuel faster than the lines can deliver.. Common problem especially if you have a vacuum petcock. switch to a larger dia. fuel line and use a inline filter designed for gravity filled motors. The larger volume fuel line keeps the carb bowl full.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:04 PM

I'm thinking the float may be sticking and not letting the fuel flow smoothly.
Old 08-24-2013, 03:13 PM
Lite Contributor

The lurching is a seperate symtom from the enigine dieing. The lurching feels like a grabby clutch symtom. At first I thought it was jumping a tooth on the drive or axle sprocket so I checked the chain tension. iI was a little loose so I adjusted that up and there were no signs excessive wear on the teeth of the either sprocket as is typical from someone running a loose or stretched out chain for a long time but that wasn't it either. Later on a nother ride it did it again. I have'nt had a chance to pull the cover and check the CVT, rollers, etc but I'm thinking that might be it for that symtom but I'm not sure. The symtom when the engine dies it's similar to when an electronic part heats up, fails, and then is ok for a while again after it cools off for a little while. Or similar to vapor lock situation. But i have'nt been able to track that problem down yet either. I still welcome anymore suggestions and appreciate those already submitted.
Old 08-24-2013, 03:16 PM
Lite Contributor

Also another thing along the lines of when the buggie lurches or when the engine dies while crusing along is that it's done both of these things randomly before and after a new carb replacement. Neither of these issues has changed. And when I bought it fairly recently it came with a brand new gravity feed petcock that hadn't even had gas run through it yet (prior to me replacing the carb due to a badly plugged pilot jet. I'll also try to get some pictures of the electrical box an d surrounding area up later today if possible. Thanks again for trying to help me out.

Last edited by kittletstv; 08-24-2013 at 03:21 PM.
Old 08-24-2013, 04:13 PM
Lite Contributor

Default Comparing my SunL 150, Baja Dune 150, and Manco Buggies

I'm curious what opinions might be out there about comparing the 3 types of buggies that I currently have as to power plants, drive trains, suspension, durability, etc. Personally I like the frame style look of the Manco XTK 713E much better than my SunL or the Baja even though it is not as roomy. I like having the front disc brakes on the SunL 150 & the the Baja compared to only the rear brake on the Manco. I like the front suspension of the SunL & the Baja much better than the Manco. The fully adjustabable front upper & lower control arms on the Baja make it nice to be able to tweak the front end as needed. Neither my Baja or my Manco are roadworthy yet so I haven't been able to compare power plants & drive trains to my SunL yet. However the 14 1/2hp Subaru engine on the Manco sounds & just feels very strong but who's to say until it's actually rolling down the trails for sure, plus the final drive & chain is on the left side which will be a lot easier if I ever want to upgrade the engine down the road sometime. I also really like having reverse in the SunL & the Baja for when we get into tight areas on forest / mountain trails. My biggest issue with the Manco buggie is that the previous owner cut out the entire lower portion of the swing arm assy and through it all out including the axle, axle hangers, axle sprocket, brake assy, etc the only thing they left were the 2 rear hubs for some reason. I would appreciate anyones opinions or suggestions as to these 3 buggies and the pros & cons of each accordingly.

After scapping the idea of a total ground up build from scratch, and aquirring these 3 different buggies I thought of building a Frankenstein buggie consisting of stretching & widening the Manco frame, using the front end assy & modifing the rear swing arm assy off the Baja, and try using the 14 1/2 hp engine & seats
off the Manco. Then using the SunL pretty much as is other than mildly altering the engine & drive train for more torque / low end power and climbing ability mainly for my wife & daughter to drive. Thanks again for any info, opinions, or suggestions.

Last edited by kittletstv; 08-24-2013 at 04:27 PM.
Old 08-24-2013, 04:29 PM
Lite Contributor

Is the regulator inside or outside the main electical box? I've been told both.
Thx
Old 08-24-2013, 06:48 PM
Heavy Contributor

On mine its just on the outside of box but its connected on the box. You may want to change that out that has to do with ur charging system. Someone here can tell you how to check that regulator before changing it..... also check ur variatir weights something may be going on in there.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:54 PM

If you think it may an electrical problem with it lurching, I would say it would prob. have to be the cdi breaking down and overheating. May be worth trying another one if you have one. Pull one off the other buggies and try it, but make sure it is ac or dc the proper one before you do. You could also try the voltage regulator off one of the buggies before buying one, but again make sure it is the right kind. but basically all the voltage regulator does is charge the battery. the cdi controls the fire to the spark plug. also check the voltage on your battery and make sure it reads over 12 volts without the cart running. it should read at least 12 to 12.5 volts, or more.