BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Old 10-03-2013, 01:37 AM
Lurker

Default Anyone tried this tach

I tried a Tiny Tach on my buggy but the lag time made it just about useless. I saw these and would like to know if anyone has tried them yet. I only found one video on youtube using one on a single Honda clone. Didn't look to bad.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-13...item3cd15a1808
Old 10-03-2013, 06:08 AM
Power User

Not me, but i'm interested. I use a knock off of the tiny tach and yes it lags badly. Since the last outing, it stopped working.
Old 10-03-2013, 06:47 AM

Good thing I didn't buy a tiny tach. I wonder how that would be wired up, as I hate the idea of wrapping wire around something, when I know there are much cleaner and simpler applications.

I like the trail tech vapor set up, but a little expensive. They do offer a multitude of metering options though, which is a selling point for me.

'04 Dazon Raider 150 'modded'
Old 10-03-2013, 09:58 AM
Lurker

x-bird, I had a tiny tach on my ultralight and it worked good. But on an airplane you set your rpm and fly it there most of the time. So it works good in that application. It doesn't work very well when you are changing rpm all the time.

Masteryota, I looked at the Trail Tech also, they are just out of my budget right now. There has to be someone that has tried one of these. I think this tach hard wires in.
Old 10-03-2013, 05:20 PM
Heavy Contributor

Oh sweet! I've been looking for a tach like that for some time now. Something analog up to 13,000rpm. I use a trail tech and it works great but... I'm old school, something about seeing that needle sweep around brings back old hot rod days. I can read a sweep hand out of the corner of my eye without taking focus off the trail. The digital screens are tough for me to read, especially if the glare is right or the screen gets dusty. I'm going to try one of these
Old 10-04-2013, 01:56 PM
Power User

I use the tiny tachs on my mower decks, had one in the buggy really for setting idle/tuning. Mounted on the stick, it's impossible to see while riding. CKau, there are some really nice vintage used 13K tachs on Evilbay. The honda 250 ones have a cool detailed look to them.

While it wasn't in my plans, thanks to this thread, I just pulled the trigger on a TrailTech Vapor--got a new customer return one for 475. with the shipping included. Allegedly returned because of box damage, couldn't pass it up.
Old 10-04-2013, 02:24 PM
Contributor

That has to be a typo.

Last edited by 351mustanger; 10-04-2013 at 02:28 PM.
Old 10-04-2013, 02:25 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-bird View Post
got a new customer return one for 475. with the shipping included. Allegedly returned because of box damage, couldn't pass it up.
That has to be a typo.
Old 10-04-2013, 05:58 PM
Power User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351mustanger View Post
That has to be a typo.
yep, $ 4.75 call that a mised shift actually $75.00
Old 10-04-2013, 06:09 PM

I was gonna say, I looked hard at their site today looking at what you might have bought with it, lol. Was this from trailtech, or one of their vendors? I would love to pick one up for that price, I'm sure all the sensors are sold separately?

Old 10-04-2013, 11:43 PM
Power User

This is the one i picked up. E-bay vendor, damaged box in initial sale, returned and resold at $66. with box damage noted, no damage to the unit. Full kit with all the sensors. Spoke with Trail Tech before buying. Given my application, (air cooled) doesn't really matter which kit i bought. Turns out this works perfectly with the temp sensor off the spark plug washer.

http://www.trailtech.net/digital-gau...-75-402-silver

At one point I ran a near six-figure/year amazon toy store on the side, did a LOT of returns on slightly damaged during shipping packaging. Usually collectors or gift buyers. Buys like this you gotta jump on and trust in paypal buyer protection.
Old 10-05-2013, 05:32 AM

Interesting, I will keep my eyes peeled for such deals.