BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > Go Kart Engine and Torque Converter Tech

Go Kart Engine and Torque Converter Tech Forum for discussing go kart engines and torque converters (Briggs, Tecumseh, Suburu, Comet etc)

Old 10-15-2011, 01:14 PM
Lurker

Default Clutches getting HOT! Help!

I have a Manco 606 w/ a Robin 6.5 HP Engine, and the standard comet clutch setup. When my daughter runs it, both the driver and driven are getting really hot rather quickly. I still get clutch chatter and jerking as well. When I watch it from the rear as she takes off, the driver starts to squeeze together, then suddenly flies back open when the belt bites and it will do it sevral times before it "grabs". I should note that I have cleaned and dry lubed both and it has zero effect. It's a new belt, and neither of the clutches seem to have the brass bushings on them. The clutch alignment could be a hair off, because the top of driven seems to be tilted very slightly to the left of center, (and obviusly the opposite for the bottom) when viewed from the back. In other words the whole rod and braket holding the driven seem to be just off from being horizontal. Again, its so close that it could be an illusion. My pa -in-law says he had the same clutch setup on his snowmobile, and they should not be getting hot at all. Any Ideas? At this point he suggested just replacing both driver and driven to be done with it.
Old 10-15-2011, 06:09 PM
Administrator

Makes me wonder if it has the proper belt on it. If I remember right, one side of the belt is tapered. Maybe it is on backwards? Does it have an actual comet belt on it?
Old 10-16-2011, 05:47 PM
Lurker

It has the proper #5858 belt on it, and it is installed correctly
Old 10-17-2011, 05:20 AM
Heavy Contributor

Taking a stab in the dark here... you mentioned clutch chatter. could the clutch it's self be the problem? Glazed bell, pads not seating properly, broken spring ? Centrifugal clutches can generate a tremendous amount of heat if they are slipping. I don't know the comet system too well but in a variator/clutch system, I belive they both work on the same principles, a bad clutch can fry the whole works