BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Off Topic and Other Forums > Off Topic

Off Topic Anything Goes!

Old 09-15-2013, 12:52 PM

Default I have been missing out.....

I can't believe I have went 33 years without owning an angle grinder.
wow! It is awesome. My Carbide 150cc already has body paneling for the most part, but I have already found a use for my old sheet metal type of book shelves. I have been cutting and grinding away for about 30-60 minutes and I am loving it. Looks like my body paneling will be attached with zip ties, but who cares. I have a bad azz angle grinder!
Old 09-15-2013, 02:20 PM

It is one of the must haves of doing metal work. Grab a welder and a drill press, and you will have a great start for any non-bolt-on mods.

'04 Dazon Raider 150 'modded'
Old 09-15-2013, 03:01 PM
Power User

for me, drill press was a "waited too long item".

angle grinder and hitachi li-ion recip saw --I couldn't live without them.

a word of warning on your grinder. forget safety glasses or full face shields as protection. get a fully eye-enclosing goggle of some type. (i use my old ski goggles)

Twice now in 2 years i've had to have metal removed from my eye. first was with safety glasses, 2nd was with full shield.

The culprit was old grinding debris flying out straight up out of the motor vents when working at waist level. shot right up under the glasses and shield. Nothing got me off the work piece/disc spray. hit the trigger and "ouch".
Old 09-15-2013, 03:21 PM

Definitely a must have! Will do X. I had safety glasses on but from now on looks like I will wear my old MX goggles. Great heads up......
Master I would love you get a mig welder one day. I have been watching YouTube vids on beginners welding LOL. Will have my buddy show me too, one day.
I love the size of the carbide. I would love to one day put on IRS and a 250-300cc engine on it. Ahh day dreaming.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (90.4 KB, 12 views)
Old 09-15-2013, 03:22 PM

Relocated headlights.
Old 09-15-2013, 03:23 PM

Quick look.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (95.3 KB, 24 views)
Old 09-15-2013, 03:24 PM

I will be getting rid of that plastic crap and replace it with nice fitting metal sheets.
Old 09-15-2013, 07:03 PM

My next investment will be a compressor. I have a complete set of 'back up' air tools at work just for this reason. It is on the waited FAR too long list. The sawzall is nice to have tool, at least for me. I burn up way too many blades cutting the heavy stuff. I use some good fitting safety glasses or my welding helmet if the angle is weird, and haven't had any issues. The cheap glasses I know don't fit around the eye that well.

Drill press was the 2nd thing I bought, after the buggy, something told me I was going to need it, and I was right.

Old 09-16-2013, 06:16 AM
Power User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masteryota View Post

Drill press was the 2nd thing I bought, after the buggy, something told me I was going to need it, and I was right.
my right elbow told me i needed it after a couple years of drilling holes (mostly crooked or off center) in 1/4 plate!

As far as compressors go, i have a 60 gallon with a full, double complement of air tools (my body shop/restoration days) but i rarely use it on the buggy. It's an oiless and way too loud --- resonates through the whole house (log walls are good for carrying vibrations) and ticks off the wife too much. Go with a conventional compressor type if your hearing is of concern.
Old 09-16-2013, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-bird View Post
As far as compressors go, i have a 60 gallon with a full, double complement of air tools (my body shop/restoration days) but i rarely use it on the buggy. It's an oiless and way too loud --- resonates through the whole house (log walls are good for carrying vibrations) and ticks off the wife too much. Go with a conventional compressor type if your hearing is of concern.
Yup, I have heard the same thing about oil less compressors, too loud and once they go, thats that. I would love a 60-80 gal with a 230v motor, but it would be far too close to the kids and guest bedroom. For now, I am looking at a 20-30 gal 110v that I can roll outside to avoid the noise in the house. The compressor will be used for other reasons, like doing side work in the driveway. Kind of to fuel the buggy build(s), if you know what mean.

Old 09-16-2013, 01:50 PM
Power User

one thing to consider doing ---i always meant to but just never got around to it -- is to build a small compressor shed (a 60 gallon vertical doesn't take up much space.) attached to the outside wall of the garage and hardline the airlines to the inside with multiple drop drains s and driers. It's the way we set up my brother's collision repair shop. a 20-30 gallon compressor doesn't have that great of a volume to cfm rating to support much hardcore sanding/grinding use without it constantly running down. They're ok for impact & air wrenches and filling tires, but not much more. A 60 gallon will give you a fair amount of run time before cycling and can support the tool ok for a couple minutes while cycling. I've gotten about 12 years so far out of mine, sears 230V upright.

Last edited by x-bird; 09-16-2013 at 01:53 PM.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:14 PM

Default Body paneling; thanks to the angle grinder.

Well those old gray book metal shelves from the 70's now have a second life.

The 2010 Carbide is now enclosed and protected from mud, dirt, and rocks.
I took off the old red front hood. Looks pretty good for zip ties and gloss black rustoleum.
The roof I banged and shaped from an old yellow metal dishwasher door from the 70's too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0226.jpg (95.6 KB, 15 views)
Old 09-19-2013, 08:58 PM

Looks good nick, the zip ties don't bother me too much, easier to take off in emergencies than screws or rivets.

@x-bird, I am renting right now, so portability is key. I don't do much sanding or grinding, just impact and air ratchets. I would love a 60-80 gal, but not right now.

Old 09-29-2013, 11:12 PM

Hey guys I have been pondering the idea of buying mig welder.
Is that what I want? I have never welded, I have been reading and watching YouTube How to's.
I don't want to spend a lot of money, but what should I look for. I want to weld and my friend can help teach me.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:01 AM

MIG is what you want, it it relatively easy to learn, and will do just about anything you need with steel. The issue with buying a welder, is you have to look at it as a long term investment. You know what you might use it for in the next year, but what about after that? Reasonable quality entry level welding set ups will set you back $400-$700. Keep in mind, you will also need small things, like a cart, a gas regulator(if not included with the welder), tank, helmet, gloves, wire, tips, and all sorts of other accessories depending on what you want to do.

Whenever this subject comes up, I almost always recommend buying something in the 120-150A range, and make sure it gas capability. You can weld with just flux wire, but it is messy, and does not like thin metals. Hobart, Lincoln, Eastwood are good brands, stay away from miller as they are top quality with a hefty price tag. I know I am going to get shot over that comment..... Also call around your local welding supply shops and find a place that will fill your tank(s), buying the tank from them might cost a little more, but you can most likely have it swapped out on site, saving time and hassle. Airgas is decent company, thats who I use.

Here is a decent set up that I am looking at purchasing, as right now I am using a family members welder, and eventually he will want it back.

Welder with regulator
80 cubic ft argon tank-$150 initial purchase, $35 each fill
Certified auto darkening helmet-$50-75 off ebay
quality wire-$10-15 2lb spool

Old 09-30-2013, 08:23 AM
Lite Contributor

I agree with MASTERYOTA on all his suggestions. You can start with the basic MIG set up and add the gas capability later. For your first project/practice session, use the deck of an old push type lawn mower turned upside down, weld some angle iron brackets to it for a frame to sit the welder on, using the inside of the deck for holding accessories and supplies. Rolls around the shop easily and gets the welder off the floor.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:56 PM
Power User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masteryota View Post
stay away from miller as they are top quality with a hefty price tag. I know I am going to get shot over that comment.....

Welder with regulator
80 cubic ft argon tank-$150 initial purchase, $35 each fill
Certified auto darkening helmet-$50-75 off ebay
quality wire-$10-15 2lb spool

Hehe

Long time Miller person after trashing too many hobarts, sunns and others ...

True words though. For a starter, light duty/use, any of the ones mentioned are fine. I'd jump right in on gas though. While learning on flux core can develop some good skills if you can deal with it, it can also lead to crappy, failure prone welds if you don't get it right. First thing i'd learn on is building a mig cart for it. save $s and learn on something non critical. Get a welder that can handle a 10 lb spool and as long as you're not getting into anything 1/4 inch or thicker, get some .023 wire and tips. .030 and .035 wire and thin gauge steel don't get along too well.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-bird View Post

Hehe

Long time Miller person after trashing too many hobarts, sunns and others ...

True words though. For a starter, light duty/use, any of the ones mentioned are fine. I'd jump right in on gas though. While learning on flux core can develop some good skills if you can deal with it, it can also lead to crappy, failure prone welds if you don't get it right. First thing i'd learn on is building a mig cart for it. save $s and learn on something non critical. Get a welder that can handle a 10 lb spool and as long as you're not getting into anything 1/4 inch or thicker, get some .023 wire and tips. .030 and .035 wire and thin gauge steel don't get along too well.
At least I gave miller the credit, just not the credit card....

True enough about the big wire and thin metals, I run into issues with mine being a 220V/230A and trying to weld thin stuff for brackets and such. Seems like even on its lowest setting, it still burns through once in a while. Once I get a smaller unit, I am sure it will be easier, but I will complain about not being able to penetrate 1/2" thick plate.