BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > Go Kart Engine and Torque Converter Tech

Go Kart Engine and Torque Converter Tech Forum for discussing go kart engines and torque converters (Briggs, Tecumseh, Suburu, Comet etc)

Old 01-14-2012, 10:19 AM
Lurker

Default Good Snap Ring Pliers

I bought the only pair of snap ring pliers they had at Home Depot so that I could change the spring in the torque converter. No matter how I try, they pop out of the holes in the snap ring instead of spreading it open.

Anyone have any recommendations on a brand and/or where to buy some decent ones?
Old 01-14-2012, 08:24 PM
Contributor

is the nut holding the 2 sides tight? I've gotten cheap sets at tractor supply, harbor freight and have to keep tightening the nut, but can get them to work. I'll love to find a quality set also.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:27 PM
Power User

As far as that particular ring goes, have someone give you a hand. push in on the driven to get a little bit of space between the ring and the pulley, that will let the tips of the plier's pins get all the way in the holes in the ring. Once you get the ring off, you'll likely need to clean up around the grooves edges with a fine file to get the outer half off the shaft. One little bit of gouged or dented groove edge will lock it up tight.

the sad truth to it is that good tools are getting harder and harder to come by. As far as snap ring pliers go, i have a beat up pair that i've had since the late 70s (bowling pinsetters have about a million snap rings on them) They don't have brand id at all, but they have a grooved screw-on plate on each handle end that holds the hardened pins and come with an assortment of pin sizes. The really crucial thing about them are the pins that insert into the ring's holes. the ends need to have very clean, sharp depth to the groove at the end to hold the ring when it's tensioned for removal. Most of the china junk today has pins that look like the come to a point with a very shallow, rounded groove. I threw a pair of those into the woods at work this summer. Take a fine file to the pin ends to help them hold the ring better and you'll have much less frustration with them. I don't get along well with crap tools at all.

The closest i can find to what i have are these. Mine have silver metal handles with grooves, never had an plastic or rubber on them.

http://www.bing.com/shopping/lisle-4...rs&FORM=CMSMSP
Attached Images
File Type: jpg apic.jpg (23.5 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by x-bird; 01-14-2012 at 08:48 PM.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:16 AM
Contributor

x-bird, followed your link and found these vise grip at northern tool.... good brand, good price, may be in the store... will have to look there and see them in person.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...iers-_-2578900
Old 01-15-2012, 11:14 AM
Lite Contributor

I have this set I bought at Grainger

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/SK-...152?Pid=search

Little pricy but they have interchangeable tips in various sizes to make sure they work with whatever snap rings you have
Old 01-15-2012, 01:10 PM
Contributor

I purchased a Craftsman set 25 years ago and have never had a problem with them.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...2&blockType=G2
Old 01-15-2012, 07:23 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300cpilot View Post
I purchased a Craftsman set 25 years ago and have never had a problem with them.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...2&blockType=G2
WOW ! Lifetime warranty (as long as Sears lasts that is) and a good price ! I like the replaceable tips also. I was at Lowes today and saw the Vise Grips there, they are "ok", not impressive. I also looked at my cheap ones here in the garage, the tips are bent and rounded like x-bird had said.

btw - comment about China tools.... I was replacing a outside water valve today, and it was "American Valve" brand made in china
Old 01-15-2012, 07:33 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by satoys View Post
btw - comment about China tools.... I was replacing a outside water valve today, and it was "American Valve" brand made in china
Another fine American company out sourcing jobs to China!

AMERICAN VALVE, INC. CORPORATION Assignee of NORTH CAROLINA 8717 W. Market Street P.O. Box 35229 Greensboro NORTH CAROLINA 27425
Old 01-15-2012, 08:33 PM
Lurker

I think the ones I bought are probably as good or better than some of the ones you guys posted. Must be an operator error Thanks for the advice x-bird about getting a helper. We'll try your technique. I need to make my son work for his buggy anyway.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:45 AM
Contributor

Stopped by Sears, the Craftsman pro version, $25, look nice ! Lever to switch from "inner" to "outer", tips held in by hex screw... now for a sale ! http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...&prop17=947412