BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > Go Kart Engine and Torque Converter Tech

Go Kart Engine and Torque Converter Tech Forum for discussing go kart engines and torque converters (Briggs, Tecumseh, Suburu, Comet etc)

Old 02-25-2016, 09:18 PM
Lurker

Default Which setup?

Hey guys, Jeff here. I'm new to the forum and just wanted to get some pointers on what motor and clutch setup I should put in my son's go kart/buggy. It's an old Dingo that I'm converting into a type of buggy (I welded a pretty cool cage on it etc.). It is going to weigh more now obviously so I know it will need a rather powerful motor and I want it to be able to grow with him. I was thinking of a 15 hp Lifan motor. Also,
I want something I can beef up over time and when I get more money...any thoughts?
Old 02-26-2016, 08:29 AM
Lurker

By the way, my son is 9. I have a 20hp Briggs and Sratton vertical motor, I just can't figure out how to mount it and then create some kind of pulley system, and converting it to horizontal seems like too much work. The kart/buggy will be used in Colorado for long off road trips and (even though he's young) I want it to have some power to be able to crawl out of tough, rocky places. I thought about a four wheeler or motorcycle engine maybe. Oh, yeah, I would like it to have reverse also.

Thanks for Help!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20151031_112309.jpg (105.6 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by Jeff33; 02-26-2016 at 10:37 AM.
Old 02-28-2016, 11:58 AM
Power User

i ran an old quadrunner 250EF for a couple years. 5 spd with Auto clutch, reverse, electric start. would be ideal size and power for that rig. I race at a very rough, rocky course, the ol 250 just didn't quite have enough power to be competitive, but it definitely got the job done.
Old 03-31-2016, 02:17 AM
Lite Contributor

If you wanted to go all out you can get a 500 series clutch that will MAKE SURE all 15 horses go to the wheels.
( lol funny cause he's only 9 )