BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 03-22-2017, 09:04 AM
Lurker

Default Little help please?

Okay I am new so bear with me. A few weeks ago I purchased a buggy that had a whole mess of wiring problems. I went online and bought a new harness and spark plug I have pretty much replaced everything I have replaced the carb the CDI, the rectifier, the stator, and the coil. Right now my problem is when I try to crank the buggy the motor turns over but does not start. The only way for it to start is if I give it a little starter fluid. After that I can ride the Boogie all day long. What do I need to work on or fix? It is a 150cc I'm not sure of the brand the motor is a GY6. The buggy seems like it has been painted so there are no logos.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:44 AM
Supporting Vendor

Post a pic of the buggy. Once the engine is at operating temp., do you still need start fluid to start?
Old 03-22-2017, 11:51 AM
Lurker

9 times Outta 10 it will crank when its warmed up
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170322_124308.jpg (98.6 KB, 14 views)
Old 03-22-2017, 07:36 PM
Supporting Vendor

I would first check to make sure you are getting power to the enrichment valve(choke) located on side of carb. It has 2 wires going to it. While engine is running make sure one of the 2 wires has voltage at the plug. Some will have 12V others as little as 9 volts. If you have voltage than you will pull the choke and run jumper wires directly to a battery. When cold make sure the needle is fully retracted by looking inside bottom and you will notice a spring which should be in the rest position. If compressed the needle is fully extended thus closing the enrichment port. If in the rest position make sure the orifice is not plugged. I see this happen from time to time when it has set up awhile.
Old 03-22-2017, 09:27 PM

Welcome to the site.

Like Tom said, we need pics please.

Specifically for me, your carb and hose routing.

Many guys replace the carb and fail to install the hoses properly resulting in issues.
My Yerban assault vehicle: 2.2mm stroker crank, 62mm Nikasil cyl, Taida large vavle head, American made valve springs, ported intake manifold, TM 28mm carb, stock CDI, Bando coil, TK exhaust, stock CVT except for the 14g sliders, 13/40 internal gears, 16T drive, 31T axle sprocket, 22" rear tires, and ONE BIG POTATO CANNON mounted on top..........
Old 03-22-2017, 09:52 PM
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYCARMS View Post
I would first check to make sure you are getting power to the enrichment valve(choke) located on side of carb. It has 2 wires going to it. While engine is running make sure one of the 2 wires has voltage at the plug. Some will have 12V others as little as 9 volts. If you have voltage than you will pull the choke and run jumper wires directly to a battery. When cold make sure the needle is fully retracted by looking inside bottom and you will notice a spring which should be in the rest position. If compressed the needle is fully extended thus closing the enrichment port. If in the rest position make sure the orifice is not plugged. I see this happen from time to time when it has set up awhile.
My buggy required all new wireing and i did not have a plug for the choke. But i was told to wire it to the yellow wire comeing off the stator
Old 03-22-2017, 10:03 PM
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
Welcome to the site.

Like Tom said, we need pics please.

Specifically for me, your carb and hose routing.

Many guys replace the carb and fail to install the hoses properly resulting in issues.
The carb came with the hose already attached to it but i am pretty sure they are right but i can still post pics of it if you need me to.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:27 PM
Supporting Vendor

Yellow off the stator is correct, the other wire must go to the resistor.
Old 03-23-2017, 06:20 AM
Lurker

I was told it had to just be grounded. But if thats the case what resistor do I need or can I go to the auto parts store and buy the one they have for LEDs?
Old 03-23-2017, 12:13 PM
Supporting Vendor

The resister controls the rate at which the valve takes to close off the enrichment circuit. As stated prior you first have to determine you are getting power to the valve, then you have to determine if the valve is working.
Old 03-24-2017, 12:06 AM
Lurker

Ok i will test it out when i get the chance. I have been looking around and found other fourms where some one was talking about the carb not getting enough fule when trying to crank. But while i was checking eveything i went to remove the fule shut off valve to see if it was blocked in anyway and the threads on the bottle of the tank broke off come to find out the inside of the fule tank was really bad rusted out so i habe to replace it. I cracked open the fule filter and had alot of junk it in so i am assuming that could have been some of the problem.
Old 03-30-2017, 11:00 PM
Lurker

Can i run the choke to a 12v toggle switch?
Old 03-31-2017, 10:29 AM
Supporting Vendor

Lack of fuel will definitely cause problems. A toggle will work but there will be no way to control the choke operation, on or off with no in between. Whether on manual or automatic the choke must adjust to the temp of engine. If you can't get the auto to work properly I do have a manual choke setup for the GY6 engine. However the auto works great if wired properly.
Old 03-31-2017, 12:44 PM
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYCARMS View Post
Lack of fuel will definitely cause problems. A toggle will work but there will be no way to control the choke operation, on or off with no in between. Whether on manual or automatic the choke must adjust to the temp of engine. If you can't get the auto to work properly I do have a manual choke setup for the GY6 engine. However the auto works great if wired properly.

I think i have it wired up right i just think i have the wr9nf resistor