BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > Other tech issues

Other tech issues For all other technical issues. Think frame, suspension, steering, brakes, etc

Old 06-04-2018, 01:25 PM
Lurker

Default American Sportsworks Black Widow Spindle/Ball Joint?

Hey folks, question for you more-experienced types.

Son collided with another dune buggy the other day. His right front strut/spindle/ball joint assembly (not sure if that is technically correct) has been damaged as you can see in the attached photos.

The damage is such that the right front wheel now rubs against the the strut - the suspension angle appears to have been bent inwards quite a bit.

Looking at the pics, what would you recommend I do first? Obviously if there's a more simple route, I'd like to take it, even if it doesn't end up perfectly. Right now it's barely driveable due to the rubbing. If I can simply eliminate the rubbing and correct some of the angling in, I would be happy.

I don't need it to be perfect.

Wiggling the bottom castellated nut I feel like there may be a broken or loose ball joint above it, at the bottom of the strut tube.

Any ideas?
Thanks,
Mr.Ted
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180604_134933.jpg (84.0 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180604_134939.jpg (87.5 KB, 8 views)
Old 06-07-2018, 07:16 AM
Contributor

2 options I see are pull both struts and compare if you have a torch you may be able to bend it back close to original. Or have a local metal working shop do it. If any of the joints themselves are damaged they will have to be replaced. Better safe than have one break while running down the trail.

OR

pull both struts compare and order replacement parts

Option 1 is cheaper but the heating will weaken the metal
Option 2 more expensive and have to wait for parts but parts will be as good or better than original.

Not an expert and cant tell much from pics but since no one had responded thought I would toss my 2 cents into the ring.
Old 06-08-2018, 01:50 PM
Lurker

Thx for the reply - surprised more people haven't run into this yet.

I believe I will have to order the whole piece - believe it's the ball joint inside that's busted...

T
Old 06-08-2018, 04:12 PM
Contributor

If they are like the ones on my kinroad the strut has to be replaced.

I've been bouncing ideas around in my head on building something that uses heims on the ends of the a arms but haven't built anything yet. Best idea I have is to remove the ball joints out of the spindle and turn a plug with a threaded stud to weld in both ends of the spindle to replace the ball joints. Then use a castle nut with a cotter key to hold the heims on. Just got too many other coals in the fire right now.

Last edited by neo71665; 06-08-2018 at 04:27 PM.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:50 AM
Lurker

Ordered the strut from ALM online and believe that should fix it.

We'll see,

Thanks,

Ted