BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 08-06-2017, 09:17 PM
Lurker

Default American Sportworks 7150 Carbide will not fire

I have an American Sportworks 7150 Carbide that will turn over and not fire. It was running fine last year then all of a sudden while it was running it quit running. It would turn over but not fire. I replaced the coil/spark plug wire and plug and still nothing. I found the wiring harness a little messy so my brother and I tried cleaning it up and still nothing.

I bought a new CDI(it is a little smaller than the orginal one) - still will not fire. I just replaced the stator, put a new ignition coil/spark plug wire, spark plug and replaced the wiring harness that is at the engine. I am still not getting anything. I have pulled the plug out and tried grounding it to see if I can get a spark still nothing. Last night, my neighbor was holding the spark plug while it was inside the boot(he was sitting on the ground) when I plugged in the CDI, it would give him a small shock. Is there a ground that could be bad even with replacing the entire wiring harness in the back?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Clyde
Old 08-07-2017, 11:52 AM
Supporting Vendor

The CDI you purchased sounds like an AC volt. The 7150 uses a DC volt CDI. I do have them in stock. Before you go any further you should check both kill switches. One is located on the electrical box that houses the CDI the other is on the dash. First make sure they are not made, than check with your ohm meter, they should be open for the engine to run. Also check to make sure your ignition switch is good. Both switches are known to go bad. The CDI you bought will not work so if your switches check good than you will need the correct CDI. You can go to American Landmaster and download the service manual for the 7150 where it will give you all the specs and instructions on how to troubleshoot the ignition system.
Old 08-07-2017, 01:18 PM
Lurker

Is there a way to tell if it is a AC or DC CDI? I also did replace both kill switches. The ignition switch was replaced when I first bought the gokart as the previous owner would just cross the wires to start it.

I am ordering a new CDI directly from American Landmaster this time.