BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 12-31-2017, 01:05 AM
Contributor

Default 6 pole to 8 pole??

My question is since it seems like everything I seem to search leads to 11 pole upgrades/questions is the 8 pole a direct plug and play replacement for the 6 pole?

I'm pretty sure due to the age of my buggy it has a 6 pole stator. A buddy that parts out atvs and motorcycles has an old 150 gy6 scooter he has stripped and sold most usable parts. Due to past problems with selling used electronics it has all those bits and he told me I could have them. It has an 8 pole stator but missing the flywheel. Will my 6 pole flywheel work with the 8 pole stator? I've come across some that say yes and some that say no. I'm gonna go with a 11 pole eventually but this is free so even if it's bad I'm just wasting my time. I just don't want to waste it pulling it all apart to find out I don't have all the parts and have to put my old stuff back on.

I'm about 99% sure the wiring and reg are the same. Am I wrong on that? If I have to rewire and/or replace a bunch of parts for the 8 I might as well save the headache when I go 11 pole.

Thanks
Old 01-05-2018, 03:12 AM
Contributor

Anybody knows?
Old 01-10-2018, 09:22 AM
Administrator

That’s something I have not experimented with. Have to see if either Travis from BuggyDepot or Tom from Syc PowerSports can weigh in. Or...you could be the trendsetter on this one and try it and tell us what happens,
Old 01-10-2018, 11:03 AM
Contributor

Everything I find says the wiring should be the same. The question comes to the one part I don't have, the flywheel. I get conflicting reports saying it's interchangeable and some say it's completely different.

When it quits raining, chances of snow, below freezing I might pull the flywheel and see how the coils line up and if it might work. Right now I haven't added the light bar on the roof or needed the winch much so it's not a pressing matter to tear a running buggy apart for a major mod. Might just order an 8 pole flywheel and if nothing else have it or a spare.
Old 01-10-2018, 11:07 AM
Administrator

Doesn’t the guy who has the parts have the flywheel?
Old 01-10-2018, 12:40 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuggyMaster View Post
Doesn’t the guy who has the parts have the flywheel?
Already gone. He buys motorcycles and atvs then parts them out. I don't know what was of it when he got it but 90% of the engine is missing and it's basically just the frame and hacked up wiring harness left. That's why I said it might not even be good but for free it can't hurt to try. I was researching because if I need a flywheel I want to have it on hand before I tear into it and then have a torn apart buggy sitting waiting on a part. If I don't need it there wasn't any real use in ordering one since further on I'm gonna order a 11 pole kit and most of the ones I've looked at comes with one.

This is a trail toy but also used as my son's hunting rig for coon and hog hunting. I have already swapped to all LEDS but added a winch and led whip so I know the electrical is taxed on this thing. I still want to add a horn, 22 inch single row light bar, and maybe a low powered MP3 radio. The radio i can leave if the light bar is pushing it but I know it's gonna be a big drain. We ride mainly at night so the more light the better. If I have to I'll get a c02 powered horn but since it's not in use like a horn I don't see it being a big issue.
Old 01-10-2018, 06:46 PM
Contributor

I've got my flywheel off checking my starter clutch. Anything I can check for you?
Old 01-11-2018, 07:27 AM
Contributor

If you don't mind can you measure the inside diameter of the flywheel and with the keyway pointing at 12:00 tell me about where the coil pickup is on the outside? Thanks
Old 01-11-2018, 11:38 AM
Supporting Vendor

It will depend on what buggy you have Some use the large rectifier and some the small rectifier. Each has a different wiring .
Old 01-11-2018, 12:41 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYCARMS View Post
It will depend on what buggy you have Some use the large rectifier and some the small rectifier. Each has a different wiring .
Can't tell the year, it's an old kinroad 150 runmaster 2. Was told it's an older model because it has 4/110 bolt pattern front and rear. What is the exact difference between the rectifiers? Not trying to be a smartXXX but it's hard to tell when you only have one in front of you.
Old 01-11-2018, 01:17 PM
Supporting Vendor

Does it say runmaster 2 on it somewhere? I have never seen a Kinroad with the same pattern on all 4 hubs. The original Kinroads all had 4 pole stators using the small rectifier using one yellow and 1 white wire, they than went to the 6 pole which used the same rectifier. When the went to the 8 pole the flywheel was a larger diameter and the rectifier had 1 white and 2 yellow wires as did the 10 pole along with the same flywheel as the 8 pole. The small rectifier is the size of a zippo lighter where as the large one is 3 times the size. But it all depends on how the buggy was wired since the new buddies all have 8 pole stators but use the small rectifier. Keep in mind that the larger the stator the more HP it will rob from the engine and unless you are running a stereo or a lot of high wattage lights the large stator today is useless if you convert the lighting to led.
Old 01-11-2018, 01:49 PM
Contributor

I know it's gonna rob power but I have a winch on it and putting a 22 inch single row led lightbar on the roof. I'm sure it needs at least an 8 pole on it.

Here are some pictures.

the rectifier has 3 wires (white, yellow, red) and is about the size of a zippo.

runmaster IIc, it had kinroad on the front but that got sanded off and painted when I put the winch on.

rear tires with my old honda rims (4/110). Yes I know they are bald but they are better than the tiny lawnmower tires it had on it when I got it. 24x9-11 all 4 corners, everything I read says they are too big and should bog it down but they don't. With the wear they are actually about 23s.

*******Think I finally got them sized correctly.********

Last edited by neo71665; 01-11-2018 at 02:39 PM.
Old 01-11-2018, 02:34 PM
Contributor

Well assuming something has done it to me again. I was told because of the matching hubs it was an older model and assumed it had the 6 pole stator. Got off my lazy bum and this is what I found.

Guess I have a spare 8 pole now and can leave it be until I get the 11 pole.

Sorry guys and thanks for the help

Last edited by neo71665; 01-11-2018 at 02:37 PM.