BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Site News and Suggestions > New Member Introduction

New Member Introduction New to the forum? Say hello here!

Old 07-13-2012, 09:16 AM
Lurker

Default New to buggies - picking a buggy

Hi. I am new to buggies and I've been searching for a good used buggy for several weeks now. It looks like Craigslist has the largest selection but I've found little information in the way of deciding which buggies are worthwhile and what a good price is. I've looked at hammerheads, rokettas, bajas, carters, kinroads, dazons, kandis, and several others. I am looking for a 2 seater that can do about anything and go anywhere. Any suggestions or advice on how and where to shop for my first used buggy? Thanks for the help!
Old 07-13-2012, 09:19 AM
Contributor

Welcome to site there are people here that can help you with your questions
Old 07-13-2012, 02:24 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clwash30 View Post
I am looking for a 2 seater that can do about anything and go anywhere. Any suggestions or advice on how and where to shop for my first used buggy? Thanks for the help!
Welcome- your statement about your expectations is a TALL order!!! All the brands listed will get you out on the trails but won't do about anything or go everywhere. What type terrain will you be driving on? Who will it be driven by mostly (adults or young adults)? all buggies have limitations-wieght,speed,terrain/climbing ability.
Craigslist is by far the best place to find an economical used buggy. Do you have a spending limit? Do you have mechanical skills & tools? Answering these questions will help us help you find a mini-buggy that might closely meet your needs.
Old 07-13-2012, 03:04 PM
Lurker

As far as terrain, it will be sand, dirt, mud, grass. Hills and flat land. I will likely be riding at places like BadLands in Attica, IN and other like places. I'm an adult so I'm planning on two adults in the buggy. I do have mechanical skills up to and including engine work, but I am conscious of spending to much time rebuilding an engine as opposed to just buying a new one. In other words, I dont want to do that type of work unless absolutely necessary. I prefer to get a working buggy ready to roll. I am looking in the $1000 range right now, which doesnt seem to be an issue as ive seen tons of good looking used buggys in this range.

Thanks again for the help.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:53 PM
Super Moderator

I pulled up the "Bad Lands", nice park! It did say that side x sides and Honda Pilots/Odyssey's allowed but no sand rails or dune buggies? Thought that was wierd!
IMO-It's obvious to run there with any confidence you're going to need a 250cc or bigger just from what I saw in the TREC video- I seriouly doubt a 150cc will make it up some of those sand hills with 2 (average size) adults, but I only saw the video & the park map was so small I couldn't read it!!!

Can you post some of the ad's you're considering for us to provide an opinion?
Old 07-14-2012, 08:31 AM
Contributor

stick with the top brands like americansportworks, hammerhead, trail master, kinroad
Old 07-14-2012, 12:47 PM
Supporting Vendor

As Bige said stay with a brand name, Kinroad , Hammerhead, Blade ect. Stay away from Carter especially the newer models for their hard to find parts for . Do your home work, ask lots of questions what has been done to it, why your selling. The buggy will do what a comprable atv will do. You will have to do some mods especially if stock. Two grown adults you will probably want the 250cc. The kinroad and Hammerhead will be a smaller buggy, Kandi will be a larger buggy with a better suspension, Roketta inported the GK13 250cc. Its a larger size buggy that will comfortably ride 2 adults with also a better suspension, Joyner is a great buggy as well. The larger the buggy the heavier but will have more room for the occupants. Any of the mentioned will need the basic upgrades if not already done such as the cvt rollers torque spring, jetting and eliminating the stock air box and exhaust. Weather a 150cc 0r 250cc when comparing to an atv of same displacement the atv will be lighter as well as have 4 or more gears to shift. The buggies use a cvt transmission so you have one variable gear. What ever you decide on you will have to invest in some upgrades and you will have to tinker with them as compared to a Honda ,Yamaha ect for they are not perfect but a blast to drive. Because they are not perfect is why we tell you to stay with a major brand for they have a better control of their product as compared to the offbrand names. You may find one of offbrand that resembles a Hammerhead but many times something as simple as a gearbox may be not as the Hammerhead and hard to find, so stick with the brands mentioned.
Old 07-14-2012, 06:50 PM
Lurker

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the information. I might post some links to some of the buggies I'm considering to get your opinions on specific buggies. Thanks again!
Old 07-15-2012, 04:26 PM
Lurker

What about this one? Any opinions? http://clarksville.craigslist.org/for/3067511473.html
Old 07-15-2012, 04:30 PM
Lurker

Or these?

http://mansfield.craigslist.org/mcy/3053366501.html
http://parkersburg.craigslist.org/rvs/3084948137.html
Old 07-15-2012, 05:04 PM
Super Moderator

IMO- the 250cc Roteka Runmaster II looks like an excellent deal if there isn't too many little issues. Is this one close enough to test drive and inspect?
Old 07-15-2012, 05:53 PM
Supporting Vendor

Ditto on the runmasterII, but I do believe it is not a roketa but a Kinroad. The other 2 I would stay away from. The Roketa GK13 was an excellant buggy which that one in the listing is not.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:05 PM
Lurker

So what about the roketa listed for 1500 in Parkersburg? That one looks cleaner to me. But you guys are the experts do I will defer to you.
Old 07-15-2012, 07:02 PM
Supporting Vendor

Cannoy really tell the model by the picture. It appears that it might have the dual chain drive rear independant suspension. If so those were the best buggies they had imported. I had mentioned the GK-13 simply because of its roomy interior yet its compact footprint to where you will not have any problems on any trail you encounter. They did make another model with like suspension but the room was slightly less then the Kinroad runmaster. It does look clean, the important thing is to hopefully be able to drive it .
Old 07-16-2012, 02:04 PM
Lurker

What about this one?

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/mcy/3101536092.html
Old 07-16-2012, 03:36 PM
Lite Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clwash30 View Post
Nice looking buggy. I'd be concerned about "how bent" the rear is but again driving it and seeing it will tell you a lot.
Old 07-16-2012, 04:55 PM
Supporting Vendor

Price isn't bad and if going there with cash in hand probably get it cheaper. Yes deffinately look at what is bent and how it drives. Looks like a Roketa, will be a bit cramped for 2 grown adults shoulder to shoulder that is. Being a 250 in that small bodied buggy top speed on flat surface should be more around 40-45mph. The 150 in that same buggy will do 30-35mph. So drive it to make sure the engine is not weak, or smoling. On the 250 engine if driven hard fo any amount of time the intake valve seat gets beat to death and it can be loosing compression. No big deal if you have to work a head or put rings in it. Just keep all you find wrong when negotiating the price. Also overal condition will tell much as to how it was driven, look at the underside. Also have him jack the frontend up and check both lower and upper ball joint by pushing in and out for excessive play. Make sure there are no unusual noised comming from tranny gearbox or engine.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:19 AM
Lurker

Ok guys. I'm talking to the owner of this buggy. Looks nice except the starting issue. He says it runs great but after long runs if you turn the key all the way off then you have to wait a while before it will start up again. If you don't turn it off all the way it will start up right away with no problems. Not sure what to make of it. Other pics he sent looked good.

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/for/3096910051.html
Old 07-17-2012, 08:50 AM
Lurker

How hard is it to get parts for a dazon?
Old 07-17-2012, 10:22 AM
Supporting Vendor

The link to the buggy you posted does not look like a 250 but a 150cc. Kinda hard to tell by the pic posted but I do not see any radiator which the 250 will have and looking at the cvt cover it looks to be a 150cc. In his posting he says it will quit after long runs then run again after 20-30 minutes. This will be a headach since what is his deffinition of long run. Never the less it will have to be repaired and would not be a major issue. If it was a 250cc I would say go for it but since it looks like a 150 and has issues which can be simple fuel issue to a more complex electrical issue, which you will have to repair right of the get go. The Dazon was identical in looks to the Kinroad and most parts to the best of my knowlege will interchange, don't know if Kinroad made the buggy for Dazon. I have sold Kinroad parts which work on the Dazon.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:41 AM
Lurker

Thanks for the help sycarms. Here are a few more pics that might provide a better view of the engine. After seeing them I think you are right that's it's a 150. What do you think?

http://s1155.photobucket.com/albums/p558/clwash30/
Old 07-17-2012, 12:41 PM
Supporting Vendor

That looks like a 150cc eng. Hammerhead had produced a GT200 which was the 150cc now used in the ASW helix, carbide ect. No radiator no 250
Old 07-17-2012, 02:23 PM
Lurker

What about this kandi? It's a 2007 kg-250a (gka 250).

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/bar/3145447544.html
Old 07-17-2012, 02:46 PM
Supporting Vendor

That model has the solid rear axle. The only downside to it is the larger turn radius, the ones with the independant rear suspension and dual chain drive are better. The price sounds fair if in good condition and top running condition.
Old 07-20-2012, 02:38 PM
Lurker

Thanks to everyone for your help. I managed to get a good deal on a 2004? Kinroad raptor. Driven it already but itching to clean it up and go through it a little before taking it out and putting my own dirt on it. Drives awesome and can't wai to challenge it with some hills etc. I'm sure I'll need some help/advice soon when something breaks or I do an upgrade. Good to know I have a nice community of folks to lean on.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:17 PM
Super Moderator

Glad to hear you have a new toy-Have fun!!!
Old 07-20-2012, 05:50 PM
Supporting Vendor

Congratts on your new toy, Kinroad makes an excellent buggy. How bout some pics of it?
Old 07-20-2012, 09:55 PM
Lurker

I'm heading out on a vacation in the morning without my buggy (unfortunately) so I won't have pics posted for a week or so. I'll put some on here ASAP!