BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > Electrical Tech

Electrical Tech General Tech for Electrical issues not related to specific engines (Lights etc)

Old 07-18-2011, 02:06 PM
Lite Contributor

Default yerf 32006

hello,

just got a yerf dog 3206 ..
trying to get it started.. seems it will not start from the green on off switch
near the steering and there also is a red button which i believe you turn on the green button and then start the go kart with the red one..
the go kart did have a switch under the drivers seat which i bypassed and still does not start..

i have purchased a new battery and have installed a new spark plug.....
as of right now the only way i can start it is by putting a screw driver across the starter solenoid... there are other components in electrical system that
i am not familier with.. and have not yet tested the switches to make sure that they work in case they are the problem...i have tried bypassing each switch by putting both end of wire together and still will not start that way...any help would be great...

Last edited by COBRAHMA; 07-18-2011 at 02:06 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-18-2011, 02:34 PM
Contributor

Just a dumb question, but are you pushing the brake peddle when trying to start it with the switch? The reason I ask is when we bought my daughters Yerf, the brake switch never worked and it would just start right up. Well one day she drove it through some deep water and the brake switch got wet and all of a sudden started working again. When she shut it off it wouldn't start again. I drug it home and started trouble shooting it and it would only start if I jumped the solenoid with a screw driver but not with the switch. After a little colorful language it donned on my to hold the brake down and it fired back up.

Every now & then the brake switch decides to work and we have to push the brake peddle before it will start. You might give it a try.

Good luck..
Old 07-18-2011, 02:52 PM
Lite Contributor

well i bypassed the brake switch so i don't have to press the brake and it still doesn't start with the switches....
Old 07-18-2011, 03:19 PM
Heavy Contributor

From the stater solenoid you should have 12VDC all the way to the red push button. The other side of the button goes through the brake safety switch to ground. By pressing the button, you complete the circuit to ground activating the solenoid. If the ground and power are traced out and with proper connectivity, you have a bad solenoid.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:37 PM
Lite Contributor

so you think it is the solenoid that is the problem here?
asuming some jackass didn't mess with the wiring.....
i have also checked the fuse and it is fine.... so maybe it is the solenoid.
question now is what is the part number for the solenoid, as the manuel i have does not show me a part number...
i will have to try and hunt one down...
any good website you recommend to find yerf dog 3206 parts?

Last edited by COBRAHMA; 07-18-2011 at 08:46 PM.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:10 PM
Lite Contributor

here is a few pics of the wires
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20110718_214012.jpg (94.2 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20110718_214126.jpg (87.8 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20110718_214024.jpg (91.7 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20110718_214135.jpg (87.0 KB, 28 views)
Old 07-18-2011, 09:44 PM
Heavy Contributor

1. I don't suggest replacing parts until you verify the wiring and voltages I described earlier.

2. Parts for GY6 engines are available everywhere but Yerf- specific parts art available at Kart Mart, Buggy Depot and BMI.

3. The fourth picture you posted of the red and black wire tied together looks like the power leads for the lights. If I am correct, this setup will burn up wiring or one phase of the stator.
Old 07-22-2011, 12:37 PM
Lite Contributor

ok on the starter solenoid it has juice which i can start the engine if i
put a screw driver accross it...

i have checked the red button and the green button wiring and also the wire with the wire nut on it and none seem to have power as far as 12 volts...

when i get a chance i will try to retest the wires again just to make sure...

if i knew how this thing was wired as far as colored wires i am sure i could do
it but i have no idea how they changed the wiring if they did do that..
as i had said in my first post.. the switch that is under the seat that goes to brake is bypassed, so there is no need to press the break to get it started....
this wiring is not that difficult , but when yah get frustrated it can be.....
Old 07-23-2011, 01:45 PM
Heavy Contributor

I don't remember the colors and do not have the owner manual handy. follow the smaller wire off the solenoid (that's your control line). It will run to s 4-pin connector that runs from the engine harness to the chassis harness. Following this wire from the connector to the red button, you should have 12VDC all the way. As I previously posted, the other side of the push button should be ground. If you take the solenoid control lead and ground it, the solenoid will activate.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:04 AM
Lite Contributor

Default yerf 3206

hey guys,

thanks to all you guys with all the tips. i got my solenoid
in installed it and cart still did not start..i found a wiring diagram online which after an hour of frustration i told my self ok new solenoid and still i can't start this thing with the button... seems the previous owner tried to get all smart and rewire some of the cart to kinda hot wire it.... seems they started it some unknown way then to shut it off they put a shut off on the gas line which i am thinking that this was the only way they could shut the cart off seeing how the buttons didn't work..so i followed the wires to the switchs and to the solenoid and also to the cdi of course they butched the hell out of the wires i cleaned them up as best as i could .. also towards the end seems they had all the wires on the switchs also all backwards and criss crossed...luckly for me with a little patience and a few good guys on this forum we guy kept my hopes up...
SHE IS NOW RUNNING AND SHE STARTS WITH THE BUTTON AND SHUTS OFF WITH THE BUTTON, I DO HAVE TO SAY I AM VERY HAPPY THAT I CAN SIT DOWN IN IT AND START IT FROM BEING SITTING DOWN.as all you remember i had bypassed the seat safty switch.. well that concerned me because at first when i started the kart up it would rev high them it would bog down to normal rev.. i hav to also install a seperate switch so that my kids can not start it up with out me around as u all know these can be dangerous....sorry to bore you all, but i appretiate all of your time and help...building my trialer now so i can get these bad boys out on the trails .. if anyone wants to see pics of go karts and trailer as i go let me know i will start putting the progress up...later guys thans again so so much for all the tips.......
Old 07-28-2011, 10:23 AM
Heavy Contributor

You never know what you will get when buying used. Once you understand the Yerf wiring it is simple looking back at it. Sometimes the process to getting to an understanding can be daunting...
Old 07-28-2011, 03:40 PM
Lite Contributor

Talking

yeah i hear yah....thanks alot for your help gx, now on to building my trailer and finish working on the rest of the buggies..one other question... i have brand new fog lights that i never did put on my car, if i was to put those on my yerf would that drain my battery to much? are they to powerful or should i buy ones that are less wattage..and i would also like to add brake lights but i am not to familiar with the wiring and how i should wire them.. wiring directly to the battery i would think it would drain some sort of juice..
Old 07-28-2011, 03:47 PM
Heavy Contributor

Use the 35w H3 bulbs out of the OEM Yerf lights in your housing. The larger the housing, the better light it will throw with the same bulb without drawing any more power.

Connect one end of the brake switch to ground and the other end to the ground lead of your brake lights. Run a fused line from the battery to the power side of your brake lights. Anytime you depress the brake, it will complete the light circuit to ground and allow the brake lights to operate. Look for LED marker lights as brake lights - They are easy to mount and draw little power.
Old 07-28-2011, 03:50 PM
Lite Contributor

another question almost forgot to ask.. anyone thathas a yerf dog 3206. when applying the brakes fast is it normal for it to just slow down quickly or when applying full pressure should the rear wheels lock up..
Old 07-28-2011, 04:08 PM
Heavy Contributor

You should be able to lock the rear end if you apply pedal pressure. Try using a vacuum brake bleeder on the caliper to see if you can get any air out of the system.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:26 PM
Lite Contributor

ok thanks man i will try that on the breaks.. and thanks for the suggestion on the lights.. its not like i am going to use them at all ... its just in case i do need light for a few minutes...unfortunatly my my buggy did not come with lights, so there is no housing , i just have the fog lights that were gonna go on my car....