BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > Electrical Tech

Electrical Tech General Tech for Electrical issues not related to specific engines (Lights etc)

Old 07-10-2011, 11:38 PM
Lite Contributor

Default Battery Problems

I just bought a used Spiderbox. The guy said he just put a new battery on it. It looks like a motorcycle battery. It acts like a dead battery but you can hear a clicking sound coming from the starter. I checked it with a volt meter and it reads 12 volts. I took a car battery and jump started it. Is this battery to small or is there a problem with the starting system? I have a small Optima battery on my other Spiderbox and it always delivers. This was put on by the previous owner. Do I need a battery with more cranking amps? Should I put a lawn tractor battery on there? Thanks, Roger
Old 07-11-2011, 12:18 AM
Super Moderator

Battery just doesn't have enough cranking amps if you can jump it off- My vote is lawnmower battery-Never had an issue in 3 years with our $17. Walmart battery and the 55 watt lights work just fine with the buggy running.Finding a spot to put the battery will be the issue- our's is in the front just in front of the passenger foot bar in a box mounted under my plastic body.The battery doesn't seem to take as much of beating or corrode the terminals as fast.Here's pics of that option.
http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/at...0&d=1285885798
http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/at...8&d=1285885752
Old 07-11-2011, 11:11 AM
Lite Contributor

Default Battery Problems

Thanks for advice. I got my Optima mounted in a battery box on the rack above the engine. I will pull the battery out of my lawn tractor and give it a try. Thanks, Roger