BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > Electrical Tech

Electrical Tech General Tech for Electrical issues not related to specific engines (Lights etc)

Old 12-29-2018, 05:47 PM
Lurker

Default Chinese gy6 electric

Question for you guys. Probably already been asked but I can't find any info.
I have a older China quad with a gy6 engine I got a few months ago and I'm in the prosess of building a really ugly buggy. The wiring is a mess to say the least (previous owner butchered it)and I'd just like to replace it all with new.i have 5 wires (6pole?)out on the CDI and 5 wires out of the engine (generator) can I replace everything with a newer set up or do I have to find a exact replacement?
Old 01-09-2019, 06:05 AM
Contributor

You can do the wires yourself. You probably wont find much that is plug and play. I had to redo all of my wires and switches on mine from scratch.

Buggy depot makes a good harness but it was not what i wanted so i built my own.

Dont go with less than 14 ga wire if your going to do it yourself. You wont regret it. Use 6ga or 8 GA for your primary battery wires. Also if doing it yourself add a couple of extra grounds to the frame. 1 up front one middle and ground engine to swing arm and swing arm to frame. The grounds get dirty and lose connection so by adding extras you will prevent a lot of problems with losing a ground. the swing arm will not ground good to the main frame so adding one here is critical. One from engine direct to frame is a good call as well.

Mine had a lot of electrical gremlins but the extra grounds and the heavier wire all around made all the difference in the world
Old 01-09-2019, 06:07 AM
Contributor

Oh and what ever you do make sure the wire is stranded not solid single copper wire and dont get the CCA (copper coated aluminum wire) The solid single wire cooper is harder to work with and the CCA wire is crap.
Old 02-14-2019, 08:46 PM
Supporting Vendor

Does it have any markings on it to identify it? Usually if older the decals are gone, look over the frame for a data plate. Many had a metal tag behind front brush guard on frame.