BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > FrankenBuggy Tech

FrankenBuggy Tech Unconventional and Home Built Buggy Tech Forum

Old 02-14-2011, 06:56 PM
Lurker

Default Manco with a BS 8hp

I sold the original 6.5 robin. I got the 8hp electric start for free. Its brand new from a good friend. I really wanted the option of electric start and stator. First problem is bolt pattern is different.

So I had to modify the frame mounts and relocate the ATV shocks. Need to move the caliper slightly. Also bought a new 1" comet clutch. Sold the 3/4 one on ebay.

Now trying to decide how to connect the chain. I am open to ideas. I am planning on installing a new second jackshaft to solve the clearance issue and get lower gears.

6.5 robin.

Frame plate out.

What have others done?
84 FL250 - sold
Old 02-14-2011, 09:34 PM
Super Moderator

Did you sell the driven portion of the 30 series CVT?
Old 02-15-2011, 08:38 AM
Lurker

I still have that on the 5/8 shaft. I was looking for a longer shaft. I can only find kits. Its odd all the 5/8 shafts have 35 pitch gears and 3/4 shafts have 40pitch. This manco shaft has 40 pitch.

gear moved.
84 FL250 - sold
Old 02-15-2011, 10:13 AM
Super Moderator

You asked what others have done- It's all custom work when it comes to changing from stock.The chain next to the driven is pretty common setup as you have in the 1st pic of the last post.Looks like that huge axle sprocket is too big to fit now unless you elevate the driven paying attention to belt length.The driven portion is your chain adjustment so you need to figure out how to make raise and lower.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:14 PM
Administrator

Most people will go with a jackshaft. Going to take some modding but that's half the fun!
Old 02-17-2011, 09:32 AM
Lurker

OK I added a second jackshaft to solve the issue. Came out real nice I think. Should get lower gearing also. Hopefully one day I can use a smaller axle gear to save some clearance. One of the offroad parks I visit is a former rock quarry. I noticed a few dents in the chain guards.

84 FL250 - sold
Old 02-17-2011, 11:11 AM
Super Moderator

Looks good-You're the chainmaster now!Let us know how the gearing works out.Did the kit come with locking collars to go against the bearings?In the past I don't recall getting them and never used the bearing plates-I cut a piece of pipe the right length between sprockets and welded the pipe on the plate.If the sprockets try to drift you can sleeve the shaft with tubing between the bearing and the sprocket to eliminate movement.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:34 AM
Lurker

It did come with one sleeve. I made one for the other side. I tested it breifly saturday and seems to work. I forgot to put the masterlink clip on so I only had a 100 yard run.

The engine seems real strong. I read its a 318cc. Just need to remove the governor.

Just picked up starter solenoid. Need to wire that and stator up.
84 FL250 - sold
Old 02-28-2011, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator

That's a healthy motor. Plenty of govenor removal videos out there- Just so you'll know-removing the govenor gives you a few more rpm's, but shouldn't be run @ WOT for long lengths of time. A stock motor just isn't built for it. Also it may make it harder to start when cold. Another thing to keep in mind is-if that motor has quite a few hours on it, it may have a top out ring/ridge developed in the cylinder already and removing the govenor now may cause it to blow-up as the piston rod will stretch more with the higher rpm's.
Old 02-28-2011, 03:40 PM
Lurker

Its a brand new engine. My buddy bought it 10years ago and put gas in it. I changed the oil and started it for the first time saturday.

I have seen the honda and some other videos of governor removal. Should not be too hard. Then I want to redo this complex throttle system. Wow is it complicated.
84 FL250 - sold
Old 02-28-2011, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator

Best of luck to you on the throttle re-work. I don't mess with them when their working!!!!